Brexit watch

Started by Nick, October 20, 2016, 18:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

zoony

Quote from: Nick on June 14, 2017, 21:43:52 pm
Half of us did.

Just over half actually mate 😉.

NeilP

most of the majority are dead now, almost 12 months after the referendum ;)

Nick

Quote from: zoony on June 15, 2017, 17:50:54 pm

Just over half actually mate 😉.

A crazily small majority for such a major decision, anyway as long as there is a small glimmer of hope I'll fight on to save this Country from its self inflicted future decline.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Slim

Quote from: Nick on June 15, 2017, 20:00:16 pm

A crazily small majority for such a major decision

Well, a majority nonetheless. Staying in would also have been a major decision despite being the status quo, and that had a majority of less than 0.

döm

If the youth engagement seen in the recent election had happened a year earlier, the vote would have been decisively to stay in I would imagine. 
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Bez

Quote from: döm on June 16, 2017, 10:43:39 am
If the youth engagement seen in the recent election had happened a year earlier, the vote would have been decisively to stay in I would imagine.

Or if Corbyn had actively campaigned to remain.....
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

zoony

Quote from: Nick on June 15, 2017, 20:00:16 pm

A crazily small majority for such a major decision, anyway as long as there is a small glimmer of hope I'll fight on to save this Country from its self inflicted future decline.

So if it had gone the other way, would it still have been a crazily small majority then?

Nick

Quote from: zoony on June 16, 2017, 13:17:54 pm

So if it had gone the other way, would it still have been a crazily small majority then?

The majority for change of something so important should be much larger than the majority to stay. Plenty of examples where a 20%+ etc majority is required.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Slim

But the EU is a dynamic, changing and rather volatile thing - the safe option is to leave. I'd have had a 20% margin necessary to stay, but fortunately it wasn't necessary.

Nice to hear the Chancellor confirm in unequivocal terms that we're leaving the single market and the customs union.

https://twitter.com/MarrShow/status/876363280909869056

zoony

Quote from: Nick on June 16, 2017, 14:45:36 pm
The majority for change of something so important should be much larger than the majority to stay. Plenty of examples where a 20%+ etc majority is required.

You can't call that democracy then!

NeilP

of course he can mate,  3/10 didn't vote in the referendum - perhaps they preferred the status quo of remaining in the EU?

Anyway, we're 'leaving' now apparently

Slim

Quote from: NeilP on June 19, 2017, 09:01:02 am
of course he can mate,  3/10 didn't vote in the referendum - perhaps they preferred the status quo of remaining in the EU?

Anyway, we're 'leaving' now apparently

The polling stations were open all day, and I can't imagine that a couple of million people were under the impression that abstentions counted as a "no" vote.

Anyway on an issue as important and fundamental as who governs you, a majority wanting change cannot just be ignored.

Bisto

The arguments over Brexit will be going on decades after all the Is have been doted and the Ts crossed. Every up/down turn in the UK economy will be credited to/blamed on Brexit....I've upgraded my ambitions of becoming a Recluse to a Hermit 😑
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

döm

Quote from: Bisto on June 19, 2017, 13:28:17 pm
The arguments over Brexit will be going on decades after all the Is have been doted and the Ts crossed. Every up/down turn in the UK economy will be credited to/blamed on Brexit....I've upgraded my ambitions of becoming a Recluse to a Hermit 😑

wise move - I'm predicting a car crash.  All the soundings are that the UK negotiating team are completely unprepared for what is to come. Apparently half the team have left or not been re-elected.   And it's not as if the UK is in a position of strength anyway.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

DavidL

Quote from: döm on June 19, 2017, 13:36:51 pm

wise move - I'm predicting a car crash.  All the soundings are that the UK negotiating team are completely unprepared for what is to come. Apparently half the team have left or not been re-elected.   And it's not as if the UK is in a position of strength anyway.
zzzzzzzzzz  ;)