Brexit watch

Started by Nick, October 20, 2016, 18:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

zoony

Quote from: Nick on June 14, 2017, 21:43:52 pm
Half of us did.



Just over half actually mate 😉.

NeilP

most of the majority are dead now, almost 12 months after the referendum ;)

Nick

Quote from: zoony on June 15, 2017, 17:50:54 pm

Just over half actually mate 😉.



A crazily small majority for such a major decision, anyway as long as there is a small glimmer of hope I'll fight on to save this Country from its self inflicted future decline.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Slim

Quote from: Nick on June 15, 2017, 20:00:16 pm

A crazily small majority for such a major decision


Well, a majority nonetheless. Staying in would also have been a major decision despite being the status quo, and that had a majority of less than 0.
Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.

döm

If the youth engagement seen in the recent election had happened a year earlier, the vote would have been decisively to stay in I would imagine. 
When the truth offends we lie and lie until we can longer remember it is even there. But it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is repaid

Bez

Quote from: döm on June 16, 2017, 10:43:39 am
If the youth engagement seen in the recent election had happened a year earlier, the vote would have been decisively to stay in I would imagine.


Or if Corbyn had actively campaigned to remain.....
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

zoony

Quote from: Nick on June 15, 2017, 20:00:16 pm

A crazily small majority for such a major decision, anyway as long as there is a small glimmer of hope I'll fight on to save this Country from its self inflicted future decline.



So if it had gone the other way, would it still have been a crazily small majority then?

Nick

Quote from: zoony on June 16, 2017, 13:17:54 pm

So if it had gone the other way, would it still have been a crazily small majority then?


The majority for change of something so important should be much larger than the majority to stay. Plenty of examples where a 20%+ etc majority is required.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Slim

But the EU is a dynamic, changing and rather volatile thing - the safe option is to leave. I'd have had a 20% margin necessary to stay, but fortunately it wasn't necessary.

Nice to hear the Chancellor confirm in unequivocal terms that we're leaving the single market and the customs union.

https://twitter.com/MarrShow/status/876363280909869056
Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.

zoony

Quote from: Nick on June 16, 2017, 14:45:36 pm
The majority for change of something so important should be much larger than the majority to stay. Plenty of examples where a 20%+ etc majority is required.



You can't call that democracy then!

NeilP

of course he can mate,  3/10 didn't vote in the referendum - perhaps they preferred the status quo of remaining in the EU?

Anyway, we're 'leaving' now apparently

Slim

Quote from: NeilP on June 19, 2017, 09:01:02 am
of course he can mate,  3/10 didn't vote in the referendum - perhaps they preferred the status quo of remaining in the EU?

Anyway, we're 'leaving' now apparently


The polling stations were open all day, and I can't imagine that a couple of million people were under the impression that abstentions counted as a "no" vote.

Anyway on an issue as important and fundamental as who governs you, a majority wanting change cannot just be ignored.
Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.

Bisto

The arguments over Brexit will be going on decades after all the Is have been doted and the Ts crossed. Every up/down turn in the UK economy will be credited to/blamed on Brexit....I've upgraded my ambitions of becoming a Recluse to a Hermit 😑
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

döm

Quote from: Bisto on June 19, 2017, 13:28:17 pm
The arguments over Brexit will be going on decades after all the Is have been doted and the Ts crossed. Every up/down turn in the UK economy will be credited to/blamed on Brexit....I've upgraded my ambitions of becoming a Recluse to a Hermit 😑



wise move - I'm predicting a car crash.  All the soundings are that the UK negotiating team are completely unprepared for what is to come. Apparently half the team have left or not been re-elected.   And it's not as if the UK is in a position of strength anyway.
When the truth offends we lie and lie until we can longer remember it is even there. But it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is repaid

DavidL

Quote from: döm on June 19, 2017, 13:36:51 pm

wise move - I'm predicting a car crash.  All the soundings are that the UK negotiating team are completely unprepared for what is to come. Apparently half the team have left or not been re-elected.   And it's not as if the UK is in a position of strength anyway.
zzzzzzzzzz  ;)