Brexit watch

Started by Nick, October 20, 2016, 17:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

döm

I knew the mention of France would get you going Nick!
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

NeilP

DavidL

May 09, 2017, 00:27:56 am #1082 Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 00:40:04 am by DavidL
Quote from: döm on May 08, 2017, 19:37:32 pm
President elect Macron talks sense on Brexit...
He seems to think the EU is the answer and yet with a deeply divided society, numerous terrorist atrocities against French citizens, 25% youth unemployment and chaos in Calais.... It hasn't provided much hope thus far.
His delusion even runs to the idea that he can make huge cuts to the public sector workforce and introduce more liberal working practices. At least the French police will be busy. Cancel your holiday in France if you'd rather not spend it sat in your car on the M20.

NeilP

He also fancies taking a chunk of the City of London's business away to Paris.

Looking forward to my regular trips to France too, vive la difference!

DavidL

Quote from: NeilP on May 09, 2017, 00:42:55 am
He also fancies taking a chunk of the City of London's business away to Paris.

Looking forward to my regular trips to France too, vive la difference!
He might fancy it but my guess is that the typical French worker's penchant for 2hr wine-fuelled lunches and a general 'can't do' attitude will ensure that most banks will probably stick with London.

NeilP

If the City of London loses its financial passporting rights as predicted by many of the big banks then I'm not so sure David?

DavidL

Quote from: NeilP on May 09, 2017, 01:03:25 am
If the City of London loses its financial passporting rights as predicted by many of the big banks then I'm not so sure David?
There have been many predictions around Brexit.

NeilP

David Davis accepted the passporting one when he reported to the the HoC Select Committee, don't you remember?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27U3bf4kkuA

It's at 2:20 if you can't be bothered watching all 2:56 of it

Also, let's hope Le Touquet agreement stays in place or else some of the Calais problem might find its way to our shores?

döm

Quote from: DavidL on May 09, 2017, 00:54:30 am
He might fancy it but my guess is that the typical French worker's penchant for 2hr wine-fuelled lunches and a general 'can't do' attitude will ensure that most banks will probably stick with London.

And its that kind of arrogance and Britain knows best attitude that could end up screwing the UK and its economy

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: döm on May 09, 2017, 09:27:31 am

And its that kind of arrogance and Britain knows best attitude that could end up screwing the UK and its economy

Having worked for a French owned company, I know that 2hr wine fuelled lunches are a thing of the past - at least fro multi-national - for French companies.
Heck, they even do some work in August these days! We used to have to report our monthly figures in 6 working days to Paris - apart from the July one, they didn't care about that, however they were dragged - kicking and screaming - into working in August.

One thing that won't change is the sheer bureaucratic nature of the French. Everything was a rigid box-ticking culture. There was no room for thinking outside the box. If you ever filled in the wrong box by mistake, that same box always had to be filled in. It was filled in once so something must have to go into it...

Funny how the Anglo-Saxon business world is so Laissez-faire, yet not the French.
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

Quote from: döm on May 08, 2017, 19:35:21 pm

The article states that only a relatively low number of people needed to be influenced and so were specifically targetted on social media.

People are influenced both ways on social media - and if you check a typical political Twitter hashtag for example you'll see that comments are dominated by naive left-wingers.

DavidL

May 09, 2017, 19:21:03 pm #1091 Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 19:22:49 pm by DavidL
Quote from: döm on May 09, 2017, 09:27:31 am

Based on experience rather than arrogance.

NeilP

Quote from: Slim on May 09, 2017, 16:09:21 pm
People are influenced both ways on social media - and if you check a typical political Twitter hashtag for example you'll see that comments are dominated by naive left-wingers.

I think it's Facebook rather than Twitter that was targetted as it has far wider reach, close on 40% of the global population allegedly?

döm

Quote from: DavidL on May 09, 2017, 19:21:03 pm
Based on experience rather than arrogance.

Wonder how they manage to have much higher productivity figures than the UK. Do they get all their work done in the morning or does the wine make them more productive?

NeilP