Brexit watch

Started by Nick, October 20, 2016, 17:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

Quote from: döm on May 01, 2017, 10:09:18 am

The UK government is not above leaking.

Could you cite an example of the UK government leaking details of a private meeting attended by the Prime Minister?

You can't blame the Europrats for taking a tough stance at the outset, but so will we - and realistically they won't get all of their demands. I suspect Theresa delivered a few home truths to Juncker, and that's where this butthurt reaction has come from.

Nick

Quote from: Slim on May 01, 2017, 09:31:38 am
I hope someone has started to think about what we'll spend all the incoming tariff revenues on. Rather large sums involved.

Subsidising the UK manufacturing industry during its rapid but inevitable decline. Our raw materials will cost more due to import tariffs and exchange rates impacting on  our exports that will cost customers more due to the higher cost of imports and tariffs on the outgoing exports.
Was this mentioned bus side?
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

döm

May 01, 2017, 13:42:43 pm #1037 Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 13:48:39 pm by döm
Quote from: Slim on May 01, 2017, 13:08:47 pm
Could you cite an example of the UK government leaking details of a private meeting attended by the Prime Minister?

You can't blame the Europrats for taking a tough stance at the outset, but so will we - and realistically they won't get all of their demands. I suspect Theresa delivered a few home truths to Juncker, and that's where this butthurt reaction has come from.

not sure a tough stance is the real issue here but a lack of understanding of the issues from the UK side.

as to leaks

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/dec/04/government-memo-brexit-leaks-leaked-cabinet-secretary
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

NeilP

Quote from: döm on May 01, 2017, 13:42:43 pm
not sure a tough stance is the real issue here but a lack of understanding of the issues from the UK side.

that's how I read it too, most think that she's not been briefed by her team (who want a hard exit) - once re-elected I suspect a few heads will roll?

Nick

Nïckslïkk2112

Until negotiations have been completed, nobody knows what can or cannot be achieved.
Idle speculation is all that is.
No Country has ever left the EU under Article 50, so there are no precedents anybody can hope to rely on.
Legend in my own Mind

Nick

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on May 01, 2017, 20:21:00 pm
Until negotiations have been completed, nobody knows what can or cannot be achieved.
Idle speculation is all that is.
No Country has ever left the EU under Article 50, so there are no precedents anybody can hope to rely on.

But on balance its really not looking too good right now, do we really think we can magically improve our negotiating position? If we are out of the single market even Turkey is in a better trading position and we will be 8-10 years behind the ballgame (American phrase ..get used to it).

Nïckslïkk2112

Yurp has an awful lot to lose as well. There'll be horsetrading aplenty in the years to come.
The end game of the EU is a federal superstate. I and millions of others don't want that. It'll have a bureaucracy based on the French *shudders* I worked for a French owned company. Common Chart of Accounts my arse.
Legend in my own Mind

DavidL

I saw it reported the other day that those that drafted Article 50, restricted the 'leaving' period to two years to deter any member leaving. It was considered, by the Eurocrats, to be insufficient time for the complexity of negotiations required. This would seem to be in keeping with the mantra, "you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave".
This is one reason the UK government is right to say we are prepared to walk away without a deal.

Slim

Quote from: Nick on May 01, 2017, 19:48:24 pm
The May delusion summed up in a short read  https://medium.com/@stewartwood6887/theresa-mays-mistaken-precedent-for-a-brexit-based-on-cherry-picking-1e2e6a3b9985

How can this be described as a "delusion" until a deal is actually agreed? Obviously her initial negotiating position will be different from the eventual deal, if any - the same as any other negotiation involving two parties with a conflict of interest.

In any case these supposed misunderstandings and unrealistic expectations on the UK government's side are as easily, and as correctly understood as unrealistic expectations on the EU's side. We aren't asking them for favours here, and if they are to get what they want they will need to soften their position.

There's absolutely nothing to see here, but those on the Left who persistently want to their own country worse off against its competitors will take delight in undermining the government. In its own way it's nothing more than the same anti-patriotic, self-hating sentiment that led Corbyn to cheer on the IRA against the UK for decades.

DavidL

in France, Emmanuel Macron is attempting to pander to the considerable part of the electorate that are eurosceptic. He says that it is inconceivable that after his election he will not immediately seek EU reform. I'm not sure anyone, or even himself, believes this is possible but he's probably said enough to ensure victory making Frexit unlikely.

döm

Slim

Same old remoaner sore loser cowardice - read it all before.

Nïckslïkk2112

The whole premise of the EU's ever closer union is to ensure that there are no more Franco-Prussian wars. That is the driving force.
Nothing to do with us. We're off. Thank you very much. Why do Grauniad writers hate their country so much?
Legend in my own Mind

döm

Anti Brexit does not mean anti-Britain.

It may mean anti-Little Englander though!