Brexit watch

Started by Nick, October 20, 2016, 17:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nïckslïkk2112

And ONS figures frequently get revised - upwards. Personally, having been at times in the past in  charge of submitting figures to the ONS I'd take them with a big pinch of salt.
I took over from a bloke who'd been filling in out figures in incorrectly. I filled them in properly, the ONS got back to me saying it was going to have a big impact on GDP figures, I kept on filling them in incorrectly in future...
Legend in my own Mind

Nick

So Europe is taking the expected firm stance to protect it's members interests, they suggest, correctly, that the Uk will not be better off outside the EU.

I'm Still searching for the benefits of Brexit .
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: Nick on April 29, 2017, 16:13:05 pm

It may not come in your lifetime, but when the EUSSR splits up it'll be a bloodbath we're well out of.
If Scots want out of a truly successful union, what chance of all these disparate European countries sticking together in some delusional federal superstate?

Think of the grandchildren :)
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

Quote from: Nick on April 29, 2017, 16:13:05 pm
So Europe is taking the expected firm stance to protect it's members interests, they suggest, correctly, that the Uk will not be better off outside the EU.

We haven't actually left yet unfortunately, so your opinion that the UK will not be better off remains to be proven.

NeilP

I'm jusy not optimistic in truth, no sign of a sustainable strategy.... just hope?

NeilP

NeilP

Slim

Quote from: NeilP on April 30, 2017, 00:00:23 am
https://twitter.com/drphilhammond/status/858199223124320257

Yes, there's a reason he was a failure as a Prime Minister. In the end rethinking the way the NHS is funded will be the best way we can support it. IDS, Boris and Michael Gove all understand that. Sir John, a considerably less capable politician than any of them, clearly doesn't.

Slim

Quote from: NeilP on April 30, 2017, 00:53:23 am
http://www.politico.eu/article/britains-brexit-denial/

The point of this article and several others I've seen recently seems to be to stress that we can't have the advantages of being in the EU when we aren't in the EU. We've taken the decision that the disadvantages outweigh them, how can this be so difficult for the idiots that wrote this piece to understand? Perhaps it's because they're American and German.

NeilP

döm

Quote from: NeilP on May 01, 2017, 08:39:42 am
A no-deal scenario is looking increasingly likely

https://mobile.twitter.com/JeremyCliffe/status/858810953353367552

It's still the early stages of course but it would seem that May and her team are handlingthese negotiations incredibly badly. Doesn't bode well.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Slim

I hope someone has started to think about what we'll spend all the incoming tariff revenues on. Rather large sums involved.

Slim

Quote from: döm on May 01, 2017, 09:24:07 am

It's still the early stages of course but it would seem that May and her team are handling these negotiations incredibly badly. Doesn't bode well.

I don't have that impression myself. Worth considering that the reason this leak has taken place is to embarrass the UK government, and for that reason it would be foolish to consider the account provided of the meeting as objective or realistic.

döm

Quote from: Slim on May 01, 2017, 09:34:00 am
I don't have that impression myself. Worth considering that the reason this leak has taken place is to embarrass the UK government, and for that reason it would be foolish to consider the account provided of the meeting as objective or realistic.

The UK government is not above leaking. We should shortly get another leak from the UK perspective if the reality was very different.

Every time these meetings happen 27 member States will be briefed. Leaks are inevitable so May and co should cop on.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Bez

Quote from: Slim on May 01, 2017, 09:31:38 am
I hope someone has started to think about what we'll spend all the incoming tariff revenues on. Rather large sums involved.

Offsetting some of the outbound tariffs that we'll need to pay...I believe that we're still huge net importers rather than exporters...
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%