Brexit watch

Started by Nick, October 20, 2016, 17:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

DavidL

After yesterday's GE announcement the IMF upgraded the UK's growth forecast for 2017 to 2% (from 1.5%). So it's a thumbs up from them at least for a May Brexit. I'm sure Christine Lagarde said Brexit would be hugely damaging to the UK economy a couple of months ago.
Experts or overpaid idiots?

Bisto

This is a general question to everybody reading and contributing to this thread.


Set aside the political tribalism for a minute or two. At a micro level, if at some point it becomes clear that Brexit is going be a major, long term disaster for the UK economy....could YOU survive it? Do you have a contingency plan, an exit strategy or other options available to you and your family to get through it or would you move somewhere else?
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Bisto

Quote from: döm on April 16, 2017, 19:26:57 pm
Exellent analysis going through what the UK is to face as it seeks its own trade deals


https://www.chathamhouse.org/publications/twt/bracing-ourselves-brexit



Thanks Dom....good find!
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Slim

Quote from: Bisto on April 19, 2017, 11:37:03 am
This is a general question to everybody reading and contributing to this thread.


Set aside the political tribalism for a minute or two. At a micro level, if at some point it becomes clear that Brexit is going be a major, long term disaster for the UK economy....could YOU survive it? Do you have a contingency plan, an exit strategy or other options available to you and your family to get through it or would you move somewhere else?


Not at the moment, but I didn't have one for the point at which it might have become clear that continued membership of the EU was going to be a major, long term disaster for the UK economy either.

I believe the latter was more likely, but either was/is possible logically.

DavidL

Quote from: Slim on April 19, 2017, 15:12:09 pm
Not at the moment, but I didn't have one for the point at which it might have become clear that continued membership of the EU was going to be a major, long term disaster for the UK economy either.

I believe the latter was more likely, but either was/is possible logically.
Ditto

Nick

Quote from: Bisto on April 19, 2017, 11:37:03 am
This is a general question to everybody reading and contributing to this thread.


Set aside the political tribalism for a minute or two. At a micro level, if at some point it becomes clear that Brexit is going be a major, long term disaster for the UK economy....could YOU survive it? Do you have a contingency plan, an exit strategy or other options available to you and your family to get through it or would you move somewhere else?



We could bail if required and move elsewhere in Europe if allowed,assuming we were able to sell the house. My main concern is the future of my two daughters, one in uni and one at college, their futures have been restricted by little England.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: Nick on April 19, 2017, 18:00:50 pm
My main concern is the future of my two daughters, one in uni and one at college, their futures have been restricted by little England.

Have they heck as like. If they want to make their futures outside of the UK they can. It may be a little harder, but there is nothing to stop them.
People I went to school with have made their futures in the USA, Australia and Canada. Don't think we've ever been part of an incipient super state with complete freedom of movement with any of those countries, nobody I went to school with has moved into Europe.

In fact if they've been educated in the UK they should have the decency to put that education to good use in the UK. Just saying.
Legend in my own Mind


Slim

In my time I've been offered jobs in Hong Kong, Toronto, Tokyo and New York - I don't believe any of these had anything to do with being a EU citizen.

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: Bisto on April 19, 2017, 11:37:03 am

Set aside the political tribalism for a minute or two. At a micro level, if at some point it becomes clear that Brexit is going be a major, long term disaster for the UK economy....could YOU survive it? Do you have a contingency plan, an exit strategy or other options available to you and your family to get through it or would you move somewhere else?

1. It  won't be a major disaster. It could lead to a lessening of Economic growth, but we've weathered the last few years, we'll get through it again.
2. I should be able to survive it.
3. Who needs an exit strategy. We're the 5th or 6th largest economy in the World. We'll be fine.
4. No matter what, the UK is still the best place in the world to live. Geologically stable. not too warm, not too cold, beautiful scenery. I'm stopping.
Legend in my own Mind


NeilP

Considering my options... could move to Scotland or mainland Europe and fly home to work within the UK

Slim

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on April 19, 2017, 21:55:09 pm
4. No matter what, the UK is still the best place in the world to live. Geologically stable. not too warm, not too cold, beautiful scenery. I'm stopping.


Yes. No active volcanoes, very few dangerous weather events, no scary spiders, very few venomous snakes, no bears, no wolves, no crocodiles or alligators and very soon, no Labour Party.

Slim

Quote from: NeilP on April 19, 2017, 22:36:54 pm
Considering my options... could move to Scotland or mainland Europe and fly home to work within the UK


Well - for Scotland to be a viable option it seems to me that you need all of the following to happen:

1. Scotland will vote for independence from the UK, if / when it's granted a referendum
2. Scotland will gain membership of the EU or of the EU single market
3. Item 2. above will make up for Scotland losing membership of the UK single market
4. Scotland's inevitably hard-left government won't tank its economy

Good luck with those!


NeilP

thanks for the career advice, I suspect Scotland's prospects might be much brighter than many of our leaders would have us believe.

Nick

Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Slim

I think there'll be a lot of Scots preparing an escape south of the border if 1. happens, and they won't want to hang around long to find out about 2. 3. & 4. And I do think we should welcome them if they can find jobs here.