• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.
July 15, 2019, 22:55:47 pm

Brexit watch

Started by Nick, October 20, 2016, 17:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

April 02, 2017, 19:58:48 pm #930 Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 20:01:51 pm by Nick
Rear Admiral Perry from the above article.

"We could cripple Spain in the medium term and I think the Americans would probably support us too. Spain should learn from history that it is never worth taking us on and that we could still singe the King of Spain's beard"

We've got a difficult enough task negotiating post Brexit deals, these people are truly mad.

The way its looking the best bet might be to sell Gibraltar to the Spanish or accept a barter deal for tomatoes and Chiorizo.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

DavidL

Quote from: Nick on April 02, 2017, 17:30:04 pm
Gibraltar is provocative enough for Spain, do you really think going to war with Spain is in any way a sensible option? Or as Michael Howard so eloquently put it "another Spanish speaking country"!!
If any country attempted to take British territory by force of course the correct response would be a military one. That's hardly controversial.

döm

Quote from: DavidL on April 02, 2017, 20:37:01 pm
If any country attempted to take British territory by force of course the correct response would be a military one. That's hardly controversial.

Did anyone in Europe suggest this a possibility?

You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Nïckslïkk2112

Whilst they still have Ceuta and Melilla Spain - and the EU - should keep their traps shut.
Yes, there will be certain things to iron out, but being as the Spaniards have acted like complete and utter c***s towards Gibraltar whilst both they and us have been part of the EU it's time they showed some decorum.
I suppose we could always start funding Catalonian separatists and with a stench of rank hypocrisy fund ETA, but hey, it's politics :)
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

Quote from: Nick on April 02, 2017, 16:09:27 pm
Quote from Tim Fallon after Michael Howard suggested the PM may go to war over Gibraltar.

"It is unbelievable that within a week of triggering article 50 there are Conservatives already discussing potential wars with our European neighbours.

"In only a few days the Conservative right are turning long term allies into potential enemies. I hope this isn't a sign of the government's approach to the long negotiations to come."

Classic Farron - we didn't start this ridiculous confrontation over Gibraltar of course but he will always, always blame his own country first, while snivelling on his knees at the feet of foreigners.

Slim

Quote from: Nick on April 02, 2017, 19:58:48 pm
Rear Admiral Perry from the above article.

"We could cripple Spain in the medium term and I think the Americans would probably support us too. Spain should learn from history that it is never worth taking us on and that we could still singe the King of Spain's beard"

Rear Admiral Parry was Lieutenant Chris Parry during the Falklands War - weapons officer aboard the Wessex III helicopter that took out the ARA Santa Fe with depth charges off South Georgia.

DavidL

It's really baffling why an increasing number of British people actually dislike their own country whilst an increasing number of non-British people are desperate to make it their home.

DavidL

döm

This storm in a tea cup reminds me of the Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse characters having imaginary fights with celebrities while sitting in the pub.

"And if they come over here and say that Gibraltar is Spanish, I'll say OI Rajoy, NOOO! Gibraltar is BRITISH etc, etc, etc"

DavidL

Quote from: döm on April 02, 2017, 23:34:01 pm
This storm in a tea cup reminds me of the Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse characters having imaginary fights with celebrities while sitting in the pub.

"And if they come over here and say that Gibraltar is Spanish, I'll say OI Rajoy, NOOO! Gibraltar is BRITISH etc, etc, etc"
Yes Farron has got himself unnecessarily worked up about the perfectly sensible comments of a more serious politician.

döm

Quote from: DavidL on April 02, 2017, 23:41:26 pm
Yes Farron has got himself unnecessarily worked up about the perfectly sensible comments of a more serious politician.

Oh David, Howard invoking the Falklands Spirit makes him the joker in all this. As far from serious as you can get.

Meanwhile The Observer is as ever bang on the  button...

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2017/apr/01/brexit-may-merkel-eu-talks-davis?CMP=fb_gu

DavidL

Quote from: döm on April 02, 2017, 23:54:59 pm

Oh David, Howard invoking the Falklands Spirit makes him the joker in all this. As far from serious as you can get.

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2017/apr/01/brexit-may-merkel-eu-talks-davis?CMP=fb_gu
Another 'Britain-bashing' Remoaner spouting the same, angry, bitter rhetoric. I'm quite happy for people to hold these views but please stop predicting the future with such certainty - "a damaging, historic error that will haunt this country for decades". Really? Where do these people buy their crystal balls from? No criticism of Spain for trying to take advantage just blame 'incompetent' Boris for not seeing it coming. He may be incompetent but perhaps he just miscalculated the EU's ability to act honourably. That could turn out to be an historic error.

Slim

Quote from: döm on April 02, 2017, 23:54:59 pmOh David, Howard invoking the Falklands Spirit makes him the joker in all this. As far from serious as you can get.

Not at all; the Falklands Conflict started because the Argentines grew frustrated with lack of progress, from their point of view, of talks over sovereignty. Absolutely a timely and statesmanlike act, unlike Farron's mincing cowardice.

Slim

Quote from: döm on April 02, 2017, 23:54:59 pm

Utterly laughable piece; the worst sort of gutter journalism. Just read this:

It has become crystal clear that not only will the EU set the agenda for the exit talks, it will also control their pace, parameters and conclusions - or else, no deal at all. It will be the EU, not Britain, that decides when "sufficient progress" has been made to allow talks on trade to commence. It will be the EU that sets the terms governing the transition needed to avoid the cliff edge so feared by business. And it will be the EU that decides whether Britain has paid its dues. Nobody in last year's Leave campaign talked about a leaving bill of up to £50bn. They will have to now if they want to make progress.

Sheer, grovelling, anti-British cowardice. It overlooks, conveniently, because the ignorant, craven filth at the Observer couldn't bear to support their own country, that Britain has cards to play in these negotiations. We do not simply have to let them dictate to us. In the end, we don't even need to have a deal with them at all, something some of the EU countries know will greatly be to their detriment. And how's this for hypocrisy?

After months of mostly placatory, regretful statements, the EU is talking tough. Who can blame them? They want to protect themselves and their citizens.

Of course, protecting British interests and citizens in similar tough terms is "unsavoury" two paragraphs above, and "fanatical" three paragraphs above.

These people would have published no end of "sorry, Mr Hitler won't stand for that" articles in the 1930s.

DavidL

Indeed.
"Come on in Mr Hitler. Sit down by the fire whilst I make you a nice cup to tea and then we'll take a look at your papers and you can tell me where to sign them"
An approach Farron and co would have been proud of.