Brexit watch

Started by Nick, October 20, 2016, 18:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

NeilP

Quote from: Matt2112 on March 14, 2017, 11:11:18 am


On balance I voted Remain at the time.  The prevailing vote was to leave.  Therefore we leave and that is that.  No-one has been disenfranchised or under-represented.  I honestly don't see what my fellow Remain-voters' problem is.  :-\



I would hope in a few years time should there be no deal and the alternative was to crash the economy/fall off a cliff... then those elected to govern would not keep going tbh?

The Letter R

Quote from: döm on March 14, 2017, 15:23:43 pm

Which Country though?  Looks like hard brexit is putting the future of another union at stake.  As well as the Scottish referendum, calls for a United Ireland are increasing in volume too.



I meant The UK - But if parts of the Union want to bail out then so be it. I think on a personal level that would be a shame but that's life. To be fair the SNP would be calling for a referendum no matter what as like UKIP they only really have one reason to exist. Interesting though that on the one hand they want to get out of the grips of Westminster but don't see the irony of staying in the EU ties them to the will of Brussels. I can see why some folks in Scotland want independence but surely this should be true independence out of the UK and the EU - the purest form?

NeilP

They want Independence then access to the single market as Norway has... they didn't mention joining the EU yesterday and this can't be a coincidence..... if successful it would be attractive to many English based companies relocating to enable free trade with the EU.... just a thought?

Matt2112

March 14, 2017, 17:08:16 pm #798 Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 17:19:19 pm by Matt2112
Quote from: döm on March 14, 2017, 15:20:47 pm
Well I know the UK election system is a little skewed but if a party achieved 48% of the vote chances are it would get a fair degree of representation in Parliament.



There's no real practical comparison though between what's being voted for in a GE and what's being voted for regarding our EU status.

QuotePersonally I don't agree with referenda.  Cameron used the Brexit vote  as a cop out to placate Tory back benchers and the threat from UKIP.  Essentially petty party politics decided the future of the country for decades to come



I'm actually inclined to agree with this.  Cameron went all-in convinced the Remain vote would win at a canter - perhaps understandably so.  But now we are where we are and the aftermath may or may not turn out to be a bad thing.
The keys to happiness

Matt2112

Quote from: döm on March 14, 2017, 15:22:03 pm

I can't answer that Matt as I've never heard of Brexit-buttery.  Could you explain it?  Cheers



Okay, I suppose "Soft Brexit" covers it.  Or maybe Brexit-but-not-really.
The keys to happiness

Matt2112

Quote from: NeilP on March 14, 2017, 16:31:46 pm

I would hope in a few years time should there be no deal and the alternative was to crash the economy/fall off a cliff... then those elected to govern would not keep going tbh?



Well, there are countless scenarios - who knows?  A bridge to cross if we come to it.
The keys to happiness

Slim

Quote from: döm on March 14, 2017, 15:20:47 pm

Well I know the UK election system is a little skewed but if a party achieved 48% of the vote chances are it would get a fair degree of representation in Parliament.


Not if its main opposition gained 52%. Well, it might get a substantial number of seats, but it would lose all the votes.

Slim

Quote from: NeilP on March 14, 2017, 16:53:18 pm
They want Independence then access to the single market as Norway has... they didn't mention joining the EU yesterday and this can't be a coincidence..... if successful it would be attractive to many English based companies relocating to enable free trade with the EU.... just a thought?


Thr trouble is, Scotland would lose membership of its rather more important single market - the UK. Which for me just goes to show that it's emotional / irrational hate of the English that drives Scottish nationalism. I'm starting to think that the political cancer in that part of our country is inoperable and amputation is probably the best thing. For the rest of the UK obviously, not for them.

DavidL

Quote from: NeilP on March 14, 2017, 16:31:46 pm

I would hope in a few years time should there be no deal and the alternative was to crash the economy/fall off a cliff... then those elected to govern would not keep going tbh?
The metaphor 'falling over a cliff-edge' is very dramatic. I suspect that is the main reason the Remoaners continue to use it without reason.

NeilP

it seems to fit the plan tbh

DavidL

Quote from: NeilP on March 15, 2017, 00:24:05 am
it seems to fit the plan tbh
At the moment, you, me, the government and even The Lord Almighty have absolutely no idea of knowing whether it fits the plan.

Matt2112

Quote from: DavidL on March 15, 2017, 09:10:46 am
At the moment, you, me, the government and even The Lord Almighty have absolutely no idea of knowing whether it fits the plan.



Blasphemous claim that a deity isn't omniscient shocker.  :o ;)
The keys to happiness

döm

Quote from: Matt2112 on March 15, 2017, 11:23:11 am

Blasphemous claim that a deity isn't omniscient shocker.  :o ;)



I'd call Farage a bit of a know it all, but omniscient is stretching it a little !  ;)
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

NeilP

Quote from: DavidL on March 15, 2017, 09:10:46 am
At the moment, you, me, the government and even The Lord Almighty have absolutely no idea of knowing whether it fits the plan.



dat true

DavidL

Quote from: döm on March 15, 2017, 11:28:40 am

I'd call Farage a bit of a know it all, but omniscient is stretching it a little !  ;)
You admit he's very wise then!