Brexit watch

Started by Nick, October 20, 2016, 17:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidL

March 12, 2017, 22:54:37 pm #750 Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 22:57:13 pm by DavidL
Aaah, only two years now  :)

Slim

Quote from: döm on March 12, 2017, 21:55:57 pm
The Tory manifesto made a form comimmtment to remain in the single market.  There was a whole heap of stuff said in the lead up to the referendum including plenty of indication that the UK could remain in the single market so that line really doesn't hold water.

The Prime Minister, the Chancellor of the Exchequer, the present Foreign Secretary and several other prominent figures of authority on both sides of the argument made it expressly clear that leaving the EU would mean leaving the Single Market - that's a matter of record. That's the unambiguous context in which we cast our votes on June 23rd, and any thought of remaining in the Single Market would obviously be a serious betrayal of the electors.

Just the facts.

NeilP

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on March 12, 2017, 20:24:33 pm
A secret dinner that was photographed and in all the papers. Very secret.

There was one report I believe, the one I posted.... others reported from that later on.

I think it was the CIA who interfered in Ukraine and if you believe Russia are impotent and non influential then you sound somewhat naive?

DavidL

Quote from: NeilP on March 13, 2017, 11:58:43 am

I think it was the CIA who interfered in Ukraine and if you believe Russia are impotent and non influential then you sound somewhat naive?
I think Nick is correct on EU meddling in Ukraine.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/15/ukraine-will-not-join-eu-dutch-are-promised-in-effort-to-save-treaty

Reports suggest that Ukranians will be granted visa-free travel by the end of June. The EU has been schmoozing with Ukraine for months (antagonizing Russia in the process)

döm

Quote from: Slim on March 13, 2017, 10:57:05 am
The Prime Minister, the Chancellor of the Exchequer, the present Foreign Secretary and several other prominent figures of authority on both sides of the argument made it expressly clear that leaving the EU would mean leaving the Single Market - that's a matter of record. That's the unambiguous context in which we cast our votes on June 23rd, and any thought of remaining in the Single Market would obviously be a serious betrayal of the electors.

Just the facts.

It wasn't on the ballot paper and there was so much nonsense spoken on both sides, who knew what to believe?  It's not just the single market anyway but the whole relationship with Europe that needs addressing by parliament. The whole arrangement needs discussion and approval by the full parliament not just May and her crew. 
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

DavidL

Quote from: döm on March 13, 2017, 12:30:40 pm
It wasn't on the ballot paper and there was so much nonsense spoken on both sides, who knew what to believe?  It's not just the single market anyway but the whole relationship with Europe that needs addressing by parliament. The whole arrangement needs discussion and approval by the full parliament not just May and her crew.
Classic Remoaning

döm

Quote from: DavidL on March 13, 2017, 13:52:14 pm
Classic Remoaning

That's a pretty poor response David, I'm sure you can do better than that!

DavidL

Quote from: döm on March 13, 2017, 14:29:24 pm

That's a pretty poor response David, I'm sure you can do better than that!
Classic remoaning - A1-size paper required to satisfy your demands at the ballot box  ;D   ;)
(better?)

DavidL

döm

Quote from: DavidL on March 13, 2017, 14:34:20 pm
Classic remoaning - A1-size paper required to satisfy your demands at the ballot box  ;D   ;)
(better?)

Yes, better, it gives me something to reply to ! That's why it should never have gone to a referendum - (yes Matt I know we're supposed to look forward etc etc)  - it was far too complex an issue to be decided by a Yes No vote - shame on Cameron for pandering to the brexit wing of his party and to Faragism

DavidL

Quote from: döm on March 13, 2017, 14:51:13 pm

Yes, better, it gives me something to reply to ! That's why it should never have gone to a referendum - (yes Matt I know we're supposed to look forward etc etc)  - it was far too complex an issue to be decided by a Yes No vote - shame on Cameron for pandering to the brexit wing of his party and to Faragism
I think Sir Nigel would be delighted that you've bestowed upon him the accolade of an 'ism'. He did a great job. No doubt about it, he's fully deserving of that honour  ;)

döm

Quote from: DavidL on March 13, 2017, 15:11:31 pm
I think Sir Nigel would be delighted that you've bestowed upon him the accolade of an 'ism'. He did a great job. No doubt about it, he's fully deserving of that honour  ;)

to my mind it wasn't anything for him to be proud of !  ;) [size=78%] But he had no power to carry out his wishes.  Didn't need power with Cameron there to give him his opportunity[/size]

DavidL

Quote from: döm on March 13, 2017, 15:52:10 pm

to my mind it wasn't anything for him to be proud of !  ;) [size=78%] But he had no power to carry out his wishes.  Didn't need power with Cameron there to give him his opportunity[/size]
You have to agree that it's a pretty big accomplishment for a man without a seat in The House, from a party with one MP to dictate the direction of travel for a sitting government with a majority..........not to be sniffed at. Telling the truth is a powerful tool.

Bisto

Are the Brexit vote and Donald Trump being elected POTUS evidence that we are living in a real life, Matrix like, computer simulation?

https://theconversation.com/uk
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Slim

No.

First Lords amendment kicked straight back, that's the one to guarantee EU citizens here right to remain. Good. Second amendment about to suffer the same fate I believe.