Brexit watch

Started by Nick, October 20, 2016, 17:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidL

Quote from: döm on February 28, 2017, 15:18:55 pm

The issue being that the country is to walk off a very high cliff-face.  Major, like many others, are pointing out the dangers in the hope that someone in charge decides to use a parachute!
Not sure I've ever known of any cliff face from which it takes two years to hit the ground once 'walked off'.

döm

February 28, 2017, 23:21:25 pm #706 Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 23:29:18 pm by döm
Quote from: DavidL on February 28, 2017, 17:18:44 pm
Not sure I've ever known of any cliff face from which it takes two years to hit the ground once 'walked off'.

It's a question of scale !And the view is quite pleasant for a while !

Osborne - geez - another man talking common sense - where do they find them ?!
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

DavidL

Quote from: döm on February 28, 2017, 23:21:25 pm

Osborne - geez - another man talking common sense - where do they find them ?!
You mean, another discredited liar. Emergency budget my arse.

döm

Quote from: DavidL on February 28, 2017, 23:44:04 pm
You mean, another discredited liar. Emergency budget my arse.

I can't believe I'm defending a Tory but liar is a bit strong.  Yes people over-estimated the instant impact of a No vote but that was based on well founded fears.

It doesn't mean that the long lasting impact of Brexit won't be very negative.

DavidL

March 01, 2017, 13:54:28 pm #709 Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 13:56:45 pm by DavidL
Nice to see James Dyson putting his money where his mouth is and investing in a second R&D site at Malmesbury. More jobs to go alongside the 3,500 already there.
He's working towards a (very) clean Brexit  ::)

Matt2112

Did you miss this business news, David? ;)

Boeing to open first European factory in Catcliffe, South Yorkshire

QuoteThe news comes shortly after luxury supercar manufacturer McLaren announced it is planning to build a £50m chassis factory on the site, creating 200 jobs.
Professor Keith Ridgway, of the AMRC, said the investment takes the region on from its coal and steel heritage to manufacturing high performance components for the automotive and aerospace sector.

Yer slacking, lad... ;)
The keys to happiness

DavidL

NeilP

NeilP

The ITV News this evening was reporting a pretty bleak future for much of the UK's car industry in light of our decision to leave the EU.... let's hope they're wrong.

1160 jobs likely to go at Ford in Bridgend it seems

http://www.itv.com/news/wales/story/2017-02-28/ford-set-to-cut-over-1-000-jobs-in-bridgend/

DavidL

Quote from: NeilP on March 02, 2017, 00:30:28 am
seems to have been overlooked

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39133400
Guaranteeing the right of EU nationals to stay in the UK is undoubtedly the correct thing to do, from a moral point of view, although doing this , unilaterally, compromises the ability of Mrs May's chance of securing a reciprocal arrangement for UK nationals. This has nothing to do with the bill to trigger article 50 but a bit of grandstanding by the liberals in the House Of Lords.
My view is that it's Brussels that is playing silly buggers here, an agreement could be reached tomorrow and I think the government have already tried to negotiate this.
Hopefully, if the amendment is not now defeated in the Commons, taking the moral high ground will force the EU's hand to reciprocate.

The Letter R

There was this news from a couple of weeks ago too from Amazon - 5000 new UK jobs from Software design to warehouse staff in 2017. They just need to clean up their act a bit for some of their employees though....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39020080

Slim

Quote from: NeilP on March 02, 2017, 00:30:28 am
seems to have been overlooked

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39133400

Unfortunate, but I hope and trust the Commons will bounce it straight back. Sad if predictable that Labour and Lib Dem peers will gladly wring their hands all day long over the rights of foreigners, while giving not a toss over equivalent rights of UK citizens in the EU. Also sad that some of the Conservative peers supported them.

In the end I feel certain that EU citizens who came here legally to work will be allowed to stay, but this need to be negotiated, not simply given away. The purpose of this bill is to allow Article 50 to be declared, which is the starting gun for these negotiations. Tying the government's hands in advance of them would not be clever.

NeilP

Nïckslïkk2112

I really can't see any problem over the rights of EU citizens living here. Common sense really, we get immigrants coming here from all over the world, in greater annual numbers than from the EU IIRC, we're not part of any nascent worldwide superstate yet still they come here and we don't throw them out. Simples.
Trade deals with the EU, there'll be a lot of huffing and puffing and the EU will make out they've punished us, but it'll end up not far off what we have now. Didn't the Canucks achieve 98/99% tariff free deals with EU? How much do they have to contribute to EU coffers? How much free movement of labour from the EU do they have to suffer?

As a people the British are a pragmatic bunch, it's time the Europeans learned to be the same.
Legend in my own Mind

döm

60 billion to be put one side to deal with Brexit issues in the forthcoming budget. Not an emergency budget but pretty drastic nonetheless.