Brexit watch

Started by Nick, October 20, 2016, 18:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt2112

February 20, 2017, 17:39:30 pm #645 Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 17:49:20 pm by Matt2112
Quote from: NeilP on February 19, 2017, 12:11:04 pm
I recommend those who haven't read the transcript of Blair's speech, ignore who the speaker was and challenge the words themselves.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/02/full-transcript-tony-blairs-brexit-speech/

Here's the opening paragraph:

QuoteI want to be explicit. Yes, the British people voted to leave Europe. And I agree the will of the people should prevail. I accept right now there is no widespread appetite to re-think. But the people voted without knowledge of the terms of Brexit.

No they didn't.

There; not exactly difficult dismantle that one, and on his special pleading goes, but what do you expect when dealing with the slimy casuistry of the High Priest of Hindsight?

The man is a toxic brand who doesn't know when to shut up:
Quotethe decision was based on imperfect knowledge

FFS - talk about a crass lack of self-awareness... ::) 

QuoteBrexit At Any Cost
Argumentum ad consequentiam ::)

The keys to happiness

Slim

Quote from: döm on February 20, 2017, 17:32:36 pm

I missed that clause in the manifesto

That's surprising, because by implication at least, it's in the very next paragraph:

It will be a fundamental principle of  a future Conservative Government that membership of  the European Union depends on the consent of  the British people - and in recent years that consent has worn wafer-thin. That's why, after the election, we will negotiate a new settlement for Britain in Europe, and then ask the British people whether they want to stay in the EU on this reformed basis or leave

NeilP

I still think there'll be a GE before we leave, always had that view

DavidL

Quote from: döm on February 20, 2017, 17:32:36 pm

I missed that clause in the manifesto
I applaud you Remoaners, like a punch-drunk boxer who keeps hauling himself off the canvas when he knows the fight is really over. We are leaving the EU and I'm fairly certain it will be in a 'meaningful' way.
;)

Slim

Quote from: NeilP on February 20, 2017, 18:49:29 pm
I still think there'll be a GE before we leave, always had that view

I've been thinking about that today with the news that the Conservative Party has an 18% lead in today's ICM poll (Lib Dems on 8% by the way, 5 points behind UKIP.  Interesting that their local government successes don't seem to be translating into national popularity as a party of possible government).

But I don't really see a case for a General Election now that the Article 50 legislation has gone through the Commons, without amendment, with greater support than the government's own majority would usually permit in another case. Certainly we'll want the boundary changes first, I would have thought. And I can't think of another issue of national importance that the government would seek to renew a mandate for before 2020.

It seems a great shame to waste a moment like this but I don't think the party will take advantage of it. Apart from anything else it would look so very opportunistic.

DavidL

Quote from: Slim on February 20, 2017, 20:41:00 pm

It seems a great shame to waste a moment like this but I don't think the party will take advantage of it. Apart from anything else it would look so very opportunistic.
That's true, it would appear rather ruthless. Maybe Theresa is still so desperate to rid the Tories of their 'nasty party' tag that she feels it would be (in that regard) helpful to show pity towards the shambolic opposition rather than capitalise on the situation - all part of the de-toxification process. A purposeful act of sympathy towards Labour, perhaps.

Bisto

February 20, 2017, 23:07:50 pm #651 Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 18:14:52 pm by Bisto
I can't see their being much of an appetite amongst the electorate for another GE. The truth is that the opposition is so useless and ineffectual that the Tories don't need to call a GE
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

DavidL

CBI survey of 471 firms show order books at a two-year high. Expectations that output will accelerate over the next quarter are at their highest since September 2013. Car production reached a 17-year high in 2016.

döm

You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

DavidL

Quote from: döm on February 21, 2017, 15:14:53 pm
Life in the Eurozone yet...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/02/21/eurozone-picks-pace-growth-hits-six-year-high/
Good news. Hopefully the strong economies will continue to be able to bail-out the basket cases.

döm

Quote from: DavidL on February 21, 2017, 16:58:12 pm
Good news. Hopefully the strong economies will continue to be able to bail-out the basket cases.

Commendale europhile viewpoint !

DavidL

döm

So David Davis has bizarrely indicated that the UK will continue to allow the free movement of Labour from the EU post brexit, including low skilled workers.

You have to ask what's the point of it all?

Bisto

Quote from: döm on February 22, 2017, 09:35:25 am
So David Davis has bizarrely indicated that the UK will continue to allow the free movement of Labour from the EU post brexit, including low skilled workers.

You have to ask what's the point of it all?

Presumably to keep/entice corporate investment in the UK with a cheap supply of skilled and unskilled labour and increase tax revenue
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

döm

Quote from: Bisto on February 22, 2017, 11:16:45 am

Presumably to keep/entice corporate investment in the UK with a cheap supply of skilled and unskilled labour and increase tax revenue

That's sure to placate the large numbers of people who believed they were voting to stop immigration from Europe.  What is Brexit again ?  :)