Brexit watch

Started by Nick, October 20, 2016, 18:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

döm

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on February 17, 2017, 20:51:33 pm
No. Don't forget Unilever is Anglo/Dutch - unless Kraft *spits* are factoring in Geert Wilders taking over flatland.
And possibly yes. But then again French companies shutting down their British operations in preference to their own will be nothing new at all.

Peugeot will be faced with the choice of closing either German or English plants open.  We know which will be in the single market.

Hopefully the economies of scale are such that it makes sense to keep some of the sites open in the UK to keep serving the UK market. Same with Unilever perhaps.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: döm on February 17, 2017, 21:19:33 pm

Peugeot will be faced with the choice of closing either German or English plants open.  We know which will be in the single market.

Hopefully the economies of scale are such that it makes sense to keep some of the sites open in the UK to keep serving the UK market. Same with Unilever perhaps.

Vauxhall in the UK is more efficient than Opel in Germany. The Germans don't go in for buying Opel. For some reason the - FFS Why? - the British seem to like Vauxhall.

I don't see either proposed takeover as being Brexit inspired. We haven't even triggered article 50 yet and Vauxhall is just part of a multi-national concern.

What I'd like to know is the levels of illegal subsidies that the French Government give their industries. Do I have any proof that they do? No. Is it the sort of thing the French will do and not let on about? Yes.

The recent prosecution of RR for bribery and corruption have happened in France if they were a French company? Non! The directors would all be lined up for Lediob d'Honneurs for serving the glory of la belle France.
Legend in my own Mind

NeilP

February 19, 2017, 11:49:19 am #617 Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 12:00:55 pm by NeilP
Vauxhall and Unilever are the main employers in Wirral, Merseyside and North Wales.... not to mention the enormous supply chains that rely on both operations.

These deals are unsettling for employees of both companies and are likely to be Brexit driven according to close friends who work there and the broadsheets. The Ellesmere Port plant is enormous, though 75% of components that go into Vauxhalls built/assembled  there are imported from the EU. Unless there's another sugar coated deal from UK Govt for PSA to remain then they'll probably relocate to 'single market' manufacturing sites - as for Unilever - locally it's Home and Personal Care products (rather than Foods) in terms of R&D and manufacture -  areas that Kraft haven't much experience of so they'd probably look to sell off the lucrative bits and asset strip (as they did with Cadbury under Warren Buffet) very worrying times I'm afraid.

NeilP

NeilP

I recommend those who haven't read the transcript of Blair's speech, ignore who the speaker was and challenge the words themselves.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/02/full-transcript-tony-blairs-brexit-speech/

If only Labour had a leader with a spine, without Blair's baggage who could have delivered this speech before the referendum then who knows what the outcome on 23 June might have been

NeilP

NeilP

Quote from: Slim on January 15, 2017, 13:18:05 pm
The "bus message" or rather its interpretation is actually a classic example of a Remainer lie sadly, so I rather think you're making my point for me, Keith. The actual message on the side of that bus, put there by the Vote Leave campaign  was "We send the EU £350 million a week. let's fund our NHS instead".

http://oi65.tinypic.com/ogmlj5.jpg

döm

There's also Airbus in that region Neil. Wonder what their post brexit plans are?
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

NeilP

Having had 20 plus years at Unilever from leaving Uni, my wife still works there and over the last 15 years of self employment working with so many European companies I'm genuinely pessimistic about the next 10-15 years of what might be in store. I would be absolutely thrilled if I and others with my perspective are proven wrong and will happily admit it should that day lie ahead.... just can't see it tbh.

DavidL

Quote from: NeilP on February 19, 2017, 16:04:36 pm
Having had 20 plus years at Unilever from leaving Uni, my wife still works there and over the last 15 years of self employment working with so many European companies I'm genuinely pessimistic about the next 10-15 years of what might be in store. I would be absolutely thrilled if I and others with my perspective are proven wrong and will happily admit it should that day lie ahead.... just can't see it tbh.
You must be very happy that Project Fear turned out to be bullshit though.

NeilP

last time I checked we hadn't left the EU project yet, just devalued our currency by 20% with the knock on effect of raising the FTSE 100..... so all is well?

DavidL

Quote from: NeilP on February 19, 2017, 16:14:54 pm
last time I checked we hadn't left the EU project yet, just devalued our currency by 20% with the knock on effect of raising the FTSE 100..... so all is well?
Project Fear, as you know, was largely based around the immediate aftermath of a Leave vote: emergency budget, house price crash, recession, increasing interest rates, rising unemployment, no overseas investment, WWIII etc.
Raising the FTSE 100 is OK by me.

NeilP

DavidL

Quote from: NeilP on February 19, 2017, 16:16:28 pm
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-latest-news-unilver-chief-executive-paul-polman-price-rises-pound-sterling-slump-drop-us-a7547741.html
Food prices have been falling for years. As with interest rates we have become accustomed to these unnatural economic conditions. 'Real' food prices and interest rates will return, possibly due to the devaluation of sterling or some other reason. Of course, a more welcome reason for food price inflation would be the supermarkets paying their workers decent wages. Unfortunately with a continuous supply of cheap labour from Eastern Europe that's unlikely to happen .....until we have a sensible immigration policy.