Brexit watch

Started by Nick, October 20, 2016, 17:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidL and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

NeilP

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: Bisto on February 06, 2017, 16:33:45 pm
I wonder how many people voted against their instinct to leave for the sake of the common good?

I wonder how many people voted against their instinct to remain for the sake of the common good?

I wonder how many who voted to remain are the poncey, wish-washy, liberal left, who flutter their hands in front of their faces now that they can't be European?
Legend in my own Mind

Bisto

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on February 06, 2017, 21:48:50 pm
I wonder how many people voted against their instinct to remain for the sake of the common good?

Nah, you dont!
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: Bisto on February 06, 2017, 23:44:51 pm

Nah, you dont!

Yes I do :)

You don't know what's going off inside my head, and it wouldn't help you in the slightest if you did...
Legend in my own Mind

DavidL

Accountants PwC predict that the UK will have the fastest growing economy among the G7 nations until 2050. Annual average growth predicted at 1.9% - that would be good, would it not?
We know about predictions though, don't we?

döm

Quote from: DavidL on February 07, 2017, 11:07:43 am
Accountants PwC predict that the UK will have the fastest growing economy among the G7 nations until 2050. Annual average growth predicted at 1.9% - that would be good, would it not?

Do they have a prediction of how that would compare if the UK had stayed in the EU till 2050?
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

DavidL

Quote from: döm on February 07, 2017, 11:14:45 am

Do they have a prediction of how that would compare if the UK had stayed in the EU till 2050?
I think they were predicting that there would be no such thing in 2050  ;)

döm

Quote from: DavidL on February 07, 2017, 14:03:50 pm
I think they were predicting that there would be no such thing in 2050  ;)

oh PWC of little faith

Moving Target

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on February 06, 2017, 21:48:50 pm

I wonder how many who voted to remain are the poncey, wish-washy, liberal left, who flutter their hands in front of their faces now that they can't be European?

An oxymoron.  Liberals are individualistic, the left authoritarian.

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: Moving Target on February 08, 2017, 17:49:58 pm
An oxymoron.  Liberals are individualistic, the left authoritarian.

But the people who pass themselves as being Liberal today aren't individualistic, they only identify with their own fellow travellers and they're all well to the left of my moderate self. Ergo my original comment stands.
Legend in my own Mind

Moving Target

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on February 08, 2017, 21:48:53 pm
But the people who pass themselves as being Liberal today aren't individualistic, they only identify with their own fellow travellers and they're all well to the left of my moderate self. Ergo my original comment stands.

Well, you could say that about Labourites and Tories too - birds of a feather flock together except Ken Clarke.

I mean that Liberals in the classic sense are about free trade, individual rights and small government. They might be to the left of you socially but not economically.  Lefties are more about groupthink and centralised stateism.

DavidL

Just watched BBC2's 'After Brexit: The Battle For Europe' (shown last night). Presenter Katya Adler appears to be a eurosceptic but provides a reasoned argument why the end may be near for the EU.
There is an interaction between herself and an EU office employee when she is trying to find Guy Verhofstadt's office which sums up the EU itself perfectly (when he is found, he spouts the usual nonsense, of course)
It's a must see for anyone with an interest in the subject.

döm

February 10, 2017, 21:36:10 pm #597 Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 21:44:31 pm by döm
Quote from: DavidL on February 10, 2017, 18:41:38 pm
Just watched BBC2's 'After Brexit: The Battle For Europe' (shown last night). Presenter Katya Adler appears to be a eurosceptic but provides a reasoned argument why the end may be near for the EU.
There is an interaction between herself and an EU office employee when she is trying to find Guy Verhofstadt's office which sums up the EU itself perfectly (when he is found, he spouts the usual nonsense, of course)
It's a must see for anyone with an interest in the subject.

Watched it too.  Very scary times. Just hope reasonable people and politicians can win out against this new wave of right wing extremism that's rearing its ugly head all over Europe.

It was unusual to have a floor 5.5 (mezzanine perhaps) but Katya made far more of it then was warranted. It was clearly marked on the lift.

DavidL

Quote from: döm on February 10, 2017, 21:36:10 pm

Watched it too.  Very scary times. Just hope reasonable people and politicians can win out against this new wave of right wing extremism that's rearing its ugly head all over Europe.

I certainly wouldn't describe Verhofstadt, or Martin Schulz for that matter, as reasonable. At least Schulz has a grip on reality and can foresee the end of the federalist dream.

NeilP

Quote from: DavidL on February 07, 2017, 11:07:43 am

They might have added that "In the long term we are all dead"