Brexit watch

Started by Nick, October 20, 2016, 17:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

Listening today to some of the SNP members' contributions, if I can dignify what they said with the term, I can't help thinking it's only a matter of time before the rest of the UK holds a referendum to get shot of Scotland whether they want to stay or not.

DavidL

The BoE have raised their growth forecast for the UK then
;D

Bez

Quote from: DavidL on February 02, 2017, 15:37:36 pm
The BoE have raised their growth forecast for the UK then
;D

Once again, your ability to select only the parts of an announcement that support your views is matched only by your short-sightedness.... :P
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

DavidL

Quote from: Bez on February 03, 2017, 07:53:41 am
Once again, your ability to select only the parts of an announcement that support your views is matched only by your short-sightedness.... :P
Tell me the parts of the BoE announcement that tell me that they were not woefully wrong in their initial, scaremongering, prediction. Most commentators considered that fact to be the headline - put simply, they were wrong....by a large margin.
Nothing wrong with my eyesight either......'Brexit watch' is the thread.  :P

Bez

Quote from: DavidL on February 03, 2017, 08:25:19 am
Tell me the parts of the BoE announcement that tell me that they were not woefully wrong in their initial, scaremongering, prediction. Most commentators considered that fact to be the headline - put simply, they were wrong....by a large margin.
Nothing wrong with my eyesight either......'Brexit watch' is the thread.  :P

You chose to not mention the warnings around increasing inflation....

Bez

Does anyone else think that Diane Abbot was really ill for the vote on Wednesday, or that she "bottled it" and didn't want to vote against Jezza   ::)

The Letter R

DavidL

Quote from: Bez on February 03, 2017, 08:32:22 am
You chose to not mention the warnings around increasing inflation....
That could be bullshit too

döm

Quote from: DavidL on February 03, 2017, 10:14:39 am
That could be bullshit too

That the fall in the value of the £ will cause the price of imports to rise?
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

DavidL

Quote from: döm on February 03, 2017, 10:37:58 am

That the fall in the value of the £ will cause the price of imports to rise?
The pound may recover - Carney and his cronies clearly have no idea what's going to happen in the future.

döm

I'm posting this in here as it is more relevant but it refers to a discussion with Slim in the Corbyn thread....

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigel-farage-wants-second-referendum-7985017

One rule for the brexiteers and another for the remainers ?
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Matt2112

Quote from: Slim on February 01, 2017, 14:47:38 pm
Listening to Tulip Siddiq speaking in the Commons now, explaining that she's openly hostile to the British people because most of her constituents are (albeit not in so many words).

Ah yes, Tulip Siddiq.  Douglas Murray has a well-deserved award for her.  ::)
The keys to happiness

NeilP

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38762034

The BBC has obtained a more localised breakdown of votes from nearly half of the local authorities which counted EU referendum ballots last June.
This information provides much greater depth and detail in explaining the pattern of how the UK voted.
The key findings are:

• The data confirms previous indications that local results were strongly associated with the educational attainment of voters - populations with lower qualifications were significantly more likely to vote Leave. (The data for this analysis comes from one in nine wards)

•    
  • The level of education had a higher correlation with the voting pattern than any other major demographic measure from the census

•    
  • The age of voters was also important, with older electorates more likely to choose Leave

•    
  • Ethnicity was crucial in some places, with ethnic minority areas generally more likely to back Remain. However this varied, and in parts of London some Asian populations were more likely to support Leave

•    
  • The combination of education, age and ethnicity accounts for the large majority of the variation in votes between different places

•    
  • Across the country and in many council districts we can point out stark contrasts between localities which most favoured Leave or Remain

•    
  • There was a broad pattern in several urban areas of deprived, predominantly white, housing estates towards the urban periphery voting Leave, while inner cities with high numbers of ethnic minorities and/or students voted Remain

•    
  • Around 270 locations can be identified where the local outcome was in the opposite direction to the broader official counting area, including parts of Scotland which backed Leave and a Cornwall constituency which voted Remain

•    
  • Postal voters appear narrowly more likely to have backed Remain than those who voted in a polling station

Bisto

Thanks Neil ....much as I expected...poor, white, ignorant people, both young and old predominantly voted to leave....typical little Englanders.....the type of voter easily swayed by the Right wing Tory media and that ('ere look Sid, 'es smoking and drinking a pint again...'e seems like a) good bloke Nige Farridge

No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Bisto

February 06, 2017, 16:33:45 pm #584 Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 16:38:23 pm by Bisto
Having said that, I know that some Unions were urging their members to vote leave

I wonder how many people voted against their instinct to leave for the sake of the common good?
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.