Brexit watch

Started by Nick, October 20, 2016, 18:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

NeilP

Channel 5 news last night - reporting from Basingstoke on Brexit. Basingstoke voted 48 / 52 and they were after views from 'typical' voters. They spoke to Janet and Brenda (not sure which was which), both leave voters:

Interviewer: "What do you hope for?"

Janet / Brenda: "How it used to be I don't know how many years ago. You didn't used to wait 4 weeks for a for Doctor's appointment. It's controlled by Brussels - now you can't have mushy peas and you can't have all sorts of things."

Interviewer: "Do you think Brexit will make it how it used to be?"

Janet / Brenda: "No, probably not."

End of interview.

döm

January 30, 2017, 13:15:47 pm #556 Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 14:57:48 pm by döm
Very good article in today's FT


https://www.ft.com/content/fde7616a-e6cf-11e6-967b-c88452263daf?ftcamp=published_links%2Frss%2Fcomment%2Ffeed%2F%2Fproduct



Britain cannot look to the US for support after its divorce from the EU


Here's a snippet...



Britain could defend free-trade far more effectively with the EU's bulk behind it -- and could also start to explore the possibilities for more EU defence co-operation. As it is, Britain has been thrown into the arms of an American president that the UK's foreign secretary has called a madman
In the declining years of the British empire, some of its politicians flattered themselves that they could be "Greeks to their Romans" -- providing wise and experienced counsel to the new American imperium.
But the Emperor Nero has now taken power in Washington -- and the British are having to smile and clap as he sets fires and reaches for his fiddle.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

döm

Fabulous speech by Ken Clarke.  Brexiteers off to their tea party with Alice in Wonderland


http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4176242/Europhile-Ken-Clarke-brands-Tories-anti-immigrant.html?ito=social-twitter_dailymailUK


Or perhaps he's branding the Conservative party anti-immigrant to get the UKIPers on board?




You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Moving Target

I love Ken Clarke.  His book is a super read.

DavidL

Quote from: döm on January 31, 2017, 16:12:08 pm
Fabulous speech by Ken Clarke.  Brexiteers off to their tea party with Alice in Wonderland


http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4176242/Europhile-Ken-Clarke-brands-Tories-anti-immigrant.html?ito=social-twitter_dailymailUK


Or perhaps he's branding the Conservative party anti-immigrant to get the UKIPers on board?
So Ken does not believe in referenda? Therefore he does not care for the opinion of the population on important subjects on which referenda are held. Mind-boggling conceit on his part. I think Ken's 'wonderland' would be one where he is the king imposing his will on all his subjects. He has enough contempt for democracy to be more at home with the Lib 'Dems' - certainly no Tory.
Bitter old drunk.

Moving Target

Quote from: DavidL on January 31, 2017, 23:00:41 pm
So Ken does not believe in referenda? Therefore he does not care for the opinion of the population on important subjects on which referenda are held. Mind-boggling conceit on his part. I think Ken's 'wonderland' would be one where he is the king imposing his will on all his subjects. He has enough contempt for democracy to be more at home with the Lib 'Dems' - certainly no Tory.
Bitter old drunk.



I often wonder why he is not a Liberal. I suppose his mates are all Tories.  I think he would have at least taken a lump out of Blair's majorities had he been leader instead of Hague and IDS.

Slim

Quote from: DavidL on January 31, 2017, 23:00:41 pm
So Ken does not believe in referenda? Therefore he does not care for the opinion of the population on important subjects on which referenda are held. Mind-boggling conceit on his part. I think Ken's 'wonderland' would be one where he is the king imposing his will on all his subjects. He has enough contempt for democracy to be more at home with the Lib 'Dems' - certainly no Tory.
Bitter old drunk.


I actually share Ken's distrust for government by referenda to a degree. But for an issue as important, as fundamental as this - the question of who governs you - when more than half of those who were prepared to express an opinion on the subject reject the legitimacy of those who would make laws that bind them, then there can be no case for government nor parliament to overrule the people.

DavidL

Quote from: Moving Target on January 31, 2017, 20:31:58 pm
I love Ken Clarke.  His book is a super read.
The trouble with Ken is he has very strong opinions and is obviously very principled - problem is, like his insistence that we join the euro, he has been proved wrong on many occasions. To suggest that we would now be in a better position if we had joined the single currency, really is 'Alice in Wonderland' economics.
I don't think he's ever got over being passed over for the top job. Now his dream of the UK being part of a federal Europe is slipping away, his bitterness is coming to the fore. His behaviour is reminiscent of a petulant child who hasn't got his own way. Very embarassing behaviour from the old fool.

DavidL

February 01, 2017, 11:31:30 am #563 Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 11:38:15 am by DavidL
Danish pharma firm Novo Nordisk to invest £115m over 10 years in a diabetes research centre in Oxford.
Lobby group TheCityUK, who represent the financial sector, have reassessed their opposition to Brexit. They now say the break from the EU represents an"unprecedented opportunity" for the country. The group admitted that the EU had been a "straitjacket" on British trade beyond Europe -"TheCityUK is a strong believer in the potential opportunities that the UK's departure from the EU will offer".

Slim

Listening to Tulip Siddiq speaking in the Commons now, explaining that she's openly hostile to the British people because most of her constituents are (albeit not in so many words).

DavidL

Quote from: Slim on February 01, 2017, 15:47:38 pm
Listening to Tulip Siddiq speaking in the Commons now, explaining that she's openly hostile to the British people because most of her constituents are (albeit not in so many words).
The sad thing is that it's not shocking.

NeilP

Quote from: DavidL on February 01, 2017, 11:31:30 am
Danish pharma firm Novo Nordisk to invest £115m over 10 years in a diabetes research centre in Oxford.
Lobby group TheCityUK, who represent the financial sector, have reassessed their opposition to Brexit. They now say the break from the EU represents an"unprecedented opportunity" for the country. The group admitted that the EU had been a "straitjacket" on British trade beyond Europe -"TheCityUK is a strong believer in the potential opportunities that the UK's departure from the EU will offer".



Pretty sure that investment was coming to the UK well before the referendum in truth?


http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/comment/novo-nordisk-unveils-115m-uk-pharma-investment-but-brexit-is-still-destroying-jobs-a7553031.html

DavidL

February 01, 2017, 19:47:55 pm #567 Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 19:50:40 pm by DavidL
Quote from: NeilP on February 01, 2017, 19:25:58 pm

Pretty sure that investment was coming to the UK well before the referendum in truth?


http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/comment/novo-nordisk-unveils-115m-uk-pharma-investment-but-brexit-is-still-destroying-jobs-a7553031.html
So the angle for the future from Remoaners such as this is "think of how many more jobs would have been created if there was no Brexit"
Quelle surprise  ;D

DavidL

Two more Labour front-benchers gone over Article 50

döm

Well that turned out by far to be the easiest part of the process for May. As an added bonus it divided the main opposition even further.

Many much trickier days ahead. Any chance Labour can get it together and make it even tougher. I very much doubt it.




You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!