Brexit watch

Started by Nick, October 20, 2016, 18:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

döm

One positive from the referral to the Supreme Court is that it has reinforced the view that the legal system is fiercely independent and not swayed by politicians or the best efforts of some areas of the media.  Fair play !
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Matt2112

Agreed on that score, dom.
The keys to happiness

Slim

But where's the value of independence, without impartiality? It just means free rein to operate according to its own self-interest and bias. See also: British Broadcasting Corporation

döm

Quote from: Slim on January 25, 2017, 18:05:09 pm
But where's the value of independence, without impartiality? It just means free rein to operate according to its own self-interest and bias. See also: British Broadcasting Corporation

Yes I'm aware of your views on the best broadcasting company in the World (in my knowledge anyway) but what leads you to believe the judiciary is not impartial?

Slim

January 25, 2017, 20:23:47 pm #544 Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 20:26:48 pm by Slim
The events of the last few weeks. I don't know which broadcasting organisation is the best in the world, but it's unlikely that I've expressed a view on it. I expect it's News Corp.

Moving Target

Quote from: Slim on January 25, 2017, 18:05:09 pm

Some of their attacks on Corbyn look like Fox News tactics, or spoof news like The Day Today. 

Not that I care, given that the nation needs an effective Opposition and ridiculing him will accellerate bring that closer, hopefully.

Slim

Absolutely - the BBC serving its own agenda is never more evident than when it goes after Corbyn. It campaigned fairly vigorously against Scottish independence, as well.

Moving Target

Quote from: Slim on January 26, 2017, 10:32:00 am
Absolutely - the BBC serving its own agenda is never more evident than when it goes after Corbyn. It campaigned fairly vigorously against Scottish independence, as well.

A lot of leftists say it is a Tory mouthpiece. Curiously, they have no such concern about RT.

I think it toes the establishment line, by-and-large, but is susceptible to Government pressure whatever the Government. 

döm

Quote from: Slim on January 26, 2017, 10:32:00 am

I would say that was down to the individual whether its the reporter or producer rather than a strategic BBC approach.  We all have our inbuilt bias and they are pretty tough to overcome.

Slim

Corbyn has decreed that a three-line whip will be in place for the Article 50 vote. But why would the PLP respect that? More of an opportunity for (most of) them if they defy it, isn't it?

DavidL

Who was it that said they'd enjoy watching the Tories tearing themselves apart over leaving the EU?

;D

Moving Target

I cannot think why Labour MPs would respect the whip. Tulip Siddiq resigned from the front bench today. Her marginal seat at Hampstead and Kilburn is pro-Remain. I think some MPs are threatening to leave the Party.

The word I am getting is that the Tories are very good at showing a united front but that a minor rebellion is expected over A50. Anna Soubry and Sir Nick Soames spring to mind.  Lots of Tories are in Remain constituencies, after all.

The Grauniad reckons that fifteen Tories will side with sixty Labour rebels, the nine Lib Dems, the one Green and the sixty SNP MPs. So that means A50 wil be carried roughly 500-150.

The Letter R

As someone who often defied his own Party Leaders back in the day , Corbyn is a bit of a hypocrite issuing the whip surely?

döm

Quote from: The Letter R on January 27, 2017, 09:18:08 am
As someone who often defied his own Party Leaders back in the day , Corbyn is a bit of a hypocrite issuing the whip surely?

exactly I wonder how he justifies that to himself.  Perhaps in this Orwellian age he uses Doublespeak?

Bez

Quote from: döm on January 27, 2017, 10:28:12 am

exactly I wonder how he justifies that to himself.  Perhaps in this Orwellian age he uses Doublespeak?

He's porbably not expecting them to obey him / the whip, which no doubt suits his "real" views about Brexit... ::)
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%