Brexit watch

Started by Nick, October 20, 2016, 17:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

döm

Tweet from @Law_and_policy

"Parliament and independent judiciary 1 Government by prerogative 0

(May own goal) "

;D

You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

The Letter R

To be honest although I didn't vote to leave I just wish we could get on with it now as quickly as possible - the public voted for it so don't really see what more needs to be debated, we certainly don't want to be showing our negotiating hand in public and the quicker we can start the process the better. More time and money wasted now, just what we didn't want.

döm

Quote from: The Letter R on January 24, 2017, 12:20:35 pm
To be honest although I didn't vote to leave I just wish we could get on with it now as quickly as possible - the public voted for it so don't really see what more needs to be debated, we certainly don't want to be showing our negotiating hand in public and the quicker we can start the process the better. More time and money wasted now, just what we didn't want.

agree, the last 3 months going to the supreme court was a complete waste of time and money

Matt2112

Quote from: The Letter R on January 24, 2017, 12:20:35 pm

Sums up my position.

Voted Remain on balance, the country voted Leave, so fair play; let's expend our collective energy on moving forward with it rather than wasting it on pointless, bitter-and-twisted Leave-buttery (I'm looking at you, Cleggie).
The keys to happiness

döm

shame to be throwing this away, I still think that history will show it to be a huge mistake

"Just think for a moment what a prospect that is.  A single market without barriers - visible or invisible - giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the World's wealthiest and most prosperous people.

Bigger than Japan. Bigger than the United States.  On your doorstep.  And with the Channel Tunnel to give you direct access to it.

It's not a dream. It's not a vision. It's not some bureaucrat's plan. It's for real."

Not the words of Nick Clegg.  Not even Ken Clarke.  That was Margaret Thatcher

DavidL

Quote from: döm on January 24, 2017, 13:05:32 pm
shame to be throwing this away, I still think that history will show it to be a huge mistake

Not the words of Nick Clegg.  Not even Ken Clarke.  That was Margaret Thatcher
Such a shame they didn't just leave it at that, isn't it?

döm

Quote from: DavidL on January 24, 2017, 14:47:10 pm
Such a shame they didn't just leave it at that, isn't it?

Perhaps, but I think the UK was one of the main countries pushing for the expansion of the EU (until 2013 I believe)

DavidL

Quote from: döm on January 24, 2017, 15:09:51 pm

Perhaps, but I think the UK was one of the main countries pushing for the expansion of the EU (until 2013 I believe)
And for the expansion of the disastrous single currency, Schengen zone, common taxation policy or EU defence force?

döm

January 24, 2017, 15:58:07 pm #533 Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 09:30:23 am by döm
Quote from: DavidL on January 24, 2017, 15:48:55 pm
And for the expansion of the disastrous single currency, Schengen zone, common taxation policy or EU defence force?

The vast majority of which the UK had managed to negotiate its way out of.  See also EU rebate.  It did very well in getting the relationship with the EU it wanted when a member.
I can't imagine the EU will be anything like as accommodating, dealing with an ex-member.

[/size][/font]

Moving Target

Quote from: döm on January 24, 2017, 12:31:38 pm

agree, the last 3 months going to the supreme court was a complete waste of time and money

Yep.  All so that Parliament gets to vote on what is a foregone conclusion anyway.

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: Nick on January 24, 2017, 08:05:31 am
Don't forget many of these countries also exist in trade blocs, ie Mercosor, NAFTA, EFTA, Caricom, etc etc, there are many differing types but all assist with trade between members. Countries as large as China is almost a trade block by default. So there are very few Countries that exist outside of trade blocs.

But they aren't moving towards being a Federal entity are they?
You can have free trade without the need to be a single political entity, that is the ultimate aim of the EU and that is what the British do not want.
Therefore the EU should realise that they can still give us Free Trade in goods, services and capital - but not labour - and the job will be a good 'un. Simples.
Legend in my own Mind

DavidL

Quote from: Moving Target on January 24, 2017, 18:01:57 pm
Yep.  All so that Parliament gets to vote on what is a foregone conclusion anyway.
It was worth it though, if only to see 'Janette Krankie' put back in her box. Fan-Dabi-Dozi

Bez

Quote from: Matt2112 on January 24, 2017, 12:33:37 pm

Sums up my position.

Voted Remain on balance, the country voted Leave, so fair play; let's expend our collective energy on moving forward with it .....

Yep, me too....
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Slim

I don't see the appeal to the Supreme Court as a waste of time, I think that was a principle worth fighting for and frankly the precept that's been used to uphold the High Court decision looks rather creative to me. And at least the devolved administrations have had a definitive answer as to their own relevance to the proceedings.

There seems to be a prevailing view even among many who voted to remain that the opposition parties and judiciary are simply trying to frustrate the referendum result because they didn't like it. To be fair I think the SNP would probably admit that quite openly.

Matt2112

Quote from: Slim on January 25, 2017, 13:31:28 pmThere seems to be a prevailing view even among many who voted to remain that the opposition parties and judiciary are simply trying to frustrate the referendum result because they didn't like it.

I definitely get that impression.  Particularly from Gina Virtue-Signaller Miller who insists her campaign was purely about the legalities; aye, pull the other one.
The keys to happiness