Brexit watch

Started by Nick, October 20, 2016, 17:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

döm

Quote from: DavidL on January 19, 2017, 20:19:50 pm
This appears to describe an element of a 'trade negotiation'

A pretty ironic one, I would suggest!
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

DavidL

Quote from: döm on January 19, 2017, 20:25:17 pm

A pretty ironic one, I would suggest!
I'll give you that  ;)

NeilP

Quote from: DavidL on January 19, 2017, 20:17:55 pm
Just as laughable is the notion that any other EU country tracks immigrants in this way.

Do you know this, my experience is that France, Spain, Netherlands and Belgium certainly seem to?

DavidL

Quote from: NeilP on January 20, 2017, 09:40:01 am

Do you know this, my experience is that France, Spain, Netherlands and Belgium certainly seem to?
Well they seem to allow Jihadis to come and go as they please

Nick

So Trump's "Hire  American, buy American " seems at odds with a meaningful trade deal. Trump will do all he can to create US jobs, which by default is a protectionist position. Ah well thankfully we have the European market to rely on...oh wait.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

DavidL

Further humiliation for Greece as the EU commission's demand for a fire sale of Greek assets results in its national rail operator being sold to........the Italian government.

NeilP

Quote from: DavidL on January 20, 2017, 10:40:54 am
Well they seem to allow Jihadis to come and go as they please

generally poor security/intel of locals who became radicalised sadly

DavidL

Quote from: NeilP on January 21, 2017, 10:53:17 am

generally poor security/intel of locals who became radicalised sadly
apart from those who purposefully exploited the Syrian refugee crisis and Schengen to bring slaughter to Europe, under the noses of European authorities.

NeilP

which incidents do you refer to?

NeilP

Nick

Quote from: NeilP on January 21, 2017, 11:51:25 am
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/20/opinion/theresa-mays-global-britain-is-baloney.html

Excellent piece
"The vote for Brexit was in fact the moment Britain turned its back on the world, succumbing to pettiness, anti-immigrant bigotry, lying politicians, self-delusion and vapid promises of restored glory.
"Global Britain" is a specious branding effort designed to mask an expensive mistake, opposed by 48 percent of voters."
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

DavidL

Quote from: Nick on January 21, 2017, 14:03:09 pm
Excellent piece
"The vote for Brexit was in fact the moment Britain turned its back on the world, succumbing to pettiness, anti-immigrant bigotry, lying politicians, self-delusion and vapid promises of restored glory.
"Global Britain" is a specious branding effort designed to mask an expensive mistake, opposed by 48 percent of voters."
Remoaning

Nïckslïkk2112

Excellent piece

tl;dr

It hasn't turned its back on the world. Any fule kno that. It just doesn't want to belong to a Euro "Project" within a world which is radically different to when the Euro "Project" was set in motion. It's like some sort of Hari Seldon foundation which is set on making things worse rather than better.
As for lying politicians: How do you know if a Politician is lying? His lips move.
If Britain has turned its back on the world how come the Crims and the Kiwis are wanting to get more involved with us? That can only be a good thing, their wine is better than the French and if we can get it more cheaply then win, win!

And finally Cyril, what bit of "Democracy" don't the 48% understand?
Legend in my own Mind

Nïckslïkk2112

Then again the Crims want more freedom of movement for stubby swilling Ockers to come over here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38704325

Of course, we should ask for the same so that all the Bremoaners who said they would leave the country if their was a Brexit vote can get safe passage out of it.
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

Excellent piece

Laughable.