Brexit watch

Started by Nick, October 20, 2016, 18:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidL

December 19, 2016, 08:09:03 am #360 Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 08:11:45 am by DavidL
Quote from: Chris Quartly on December 19, 2016, 02:17:33 am

It's not just that one post (and it's not just you).
Your post appeared pertinent - context is everything  ;)

Chris Quartly

December 19, 2016, 16:25:36 pm #361 Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 16:29:13 pm by Chris Quartly

I said "the flip-flopping by various people in this thread is astonishing, perhaps some should consider a change of career... might I suggest politics." ;)

Quote from: DavidL on December 19, 2016, 08:09:03 am
Your post appeared pertinent - context is everything  ;)
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

DavidL

Quote from: Chris Quartly on December 19, 2016, 16:25:36 pm

I said "the flip-flopping by various people in this thread is astonishing, perhaps some should consider a change of career... might I suggest politics." ;)

I'll take that...............well-played  ;)

Moving Target

Quote from: DavidL on December 19, 2016, 00:33:57 am
That's a very perceptive comment, Mr Target.
Thanks. One does one's best.

DavidL

IMF head Christine Lagarde convicted of negligence by French court. Unfortunately it looks like the Remain-supporting, bullshitting clothes-horses will avoid doing porridge - shame.

NeilP

probably because negligence is a civil wrong (tort) not criminal? ::)

DavidL

Quote from: NeilP on December 21, 2016, 00:03:57 am
probably because negligence is a civil wrong (tort) not criminal? ::)
Ms Lagarde, 60, was tried on charges of "negligence by a person in position of public authority".
Accused of allowing the misuse of public funds, rather than actual corruption, she could potentially have been sentenced to a year in prison and a fine of €15,000, but escaped a sentence and emerges from the trial without a criminal record - BBC News
:P   

NeilP

so she was innocent of the charge? :P

DavidL

Quote from: NeilP on December 21, 2016, 08:25:42 am
so she was innocent of the charge? :P
This one whiffs a bit. After Dominic Strauss-Kahn, I'm sure there was no desire to brand the head of the IMF a criminal and in some quarters she is revered as a'rock-star' financier that's done a huge amount for the IMF's profile. She's suffered some reputational damage but will be allowed to continue.
As reported, she was facing a possible prison sentence. In my view, she deserves a spell inside for the part she's played in helping to destroy the hopes of many young Greeks and for attempting to blackmail the UK electorate.
About as close to an establishment stitch-up as you can get.

Slim

Quote from: DavidL on December 03, 2016, 19:52:49 pm
Brilliant!
'Air pollution promoting' Lib 'Dem' exposed as just another pious, contemptuous liberal air-head. That would've wiped the smile of that little weasel Farron's face, for sure. After his ridiculous grandstanding about the by-election result (and what it stood for) he deserves nothing less. Bit soon to crow about a march back to political relevance, I feel - even with one extra, there's still a few spare seats on the minibus for the Lib'Dem' MP's Xmas outing.  ;D

Farron must be one of the most dishonest politicians I can remember - quite openly insisting that we stay in the Single Market, despite assurances given by both sides in the referendum campaign that a successful NO vote meant we would leave. When you think of the fuss over the so-called "promise" over NHS funding it's astonishing that he can get away with taking a stance like that. He must assume his potential support for it is either pig-ignorant or basically contemptuous of democracy, and perhaps he's right. The little man is as loathsome as he's effeminate.

Richard_2112

Pesky EU determining that indiscriminately retaining emails and snooping on our citizens is massively illegal.

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2016/dec/21/eus-highest-court-delivers-blow-to-uk-snoopers-charter

Loving the fact that it was our very own Brexit Minister David Davis who brought this up in the first place.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines.

döm

It doesn't matter that  EU laws are often better thought out and designed than UK ones.  All that matters is that the UK makes its own rules even if the general population is worse off as a result.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

DavidL

Quote from: döm on December 22, 2016, 00:35:44 am
It doesn't matter that  EU laws are often better thought out and designed than UK ones.
The 'best' one is the one that prevents a suspected terrorist from being deported before he murders 12 of your citizens......because he doesn't have a valid passport.
Oh, he has now...oops.

döm

Quote from: DavidL on December 22, 2016, 01:12:52 am
The 'best' one is the one that prevents a suspected terrorist from being deported before he murders 12 of your citizens......because he doesn't have a valid passport.
Oh, he has now...oops.

yes that's right - British law prevented any terrorist atrocities being carried out in its own country
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

DavidL

December 22, 2016, 08:14:29 am #374 Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 08:35:40 am by DavidL
Quote from: döm on December 22, 2016, 01:22:35 am

yes that's right - British law prevented any terrorist atrocities being carried out in its own country
Most of our atrocities were perpetrated by our own citizens - not those invited into the country as 'refugees'.

It gets 'better'. He's a convicted criminal who served four years in Italy for arson. There's culpability everywhere you look - as if it's not horrific enough for the families of the victims.
Keep your heads in the sand. Keep laying the wreaths and attending the candle-lit vigils. Meanwhile IS continue to laugh at the stupid Europeans.
Schengen should help them catch up with him  >:(