Brexit watch

Started by Nick, October 20, 2016, 17:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

döm

Quote from: DavidL on December 08, 2016, 18:26:54 pm
Possibly the biggest load of cobblers ever posted on here



Thanks  ;D . Do I get an award?
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Moving Target

Quote from: DavidL on December 08, 2016, 11:36:55 am
;D
Your view, of course, is valid but I disagree. Mine is that it would be nearer 60/40 to leave, based on the fact that the immediate and considerable economic damage that was promised by the Remainers was hogwash and everyone, including petrified (reluctant) remain voters can see that as a matter of fact.
Speaking as a reluctant Remainer, who voted for positive reasons and ignored Project Fear, I am yet to be convinced. Carney immediately dumped £80B of QE in, remember. 


The economic argument was only part of it, anyway.....

DavidL

Quote from: Moving Target on December 08, 2016, 19:29:16 pm
Speaking as a reluctant Remainer, who voted for positive reasons and ignored Project Fear, I am yet to be convinced. Carney immediately dumped £80B of QE in, remember. 

Of course your yet to be convinced........we haven't left yet. Carney is an embarrassment.

Moving Target

Quote from: DavidL on December 08, 2016, 20:55:02 pm
Of course your yet to be convinced........we haven't left yet. Carney is an embarrassment.
What would have happened if he hadn't embarrassed you?

DavidL

Quote from: Moving Target on December 08, 2016, 22:23:10 pm
What would have happened if he hadn't embarrassed you?
Oh no, he didn't embarrass me - possibly himself, certainly his office. In his time he's failed in virtually all his predictions (forward guidance  ::) ). Total knee-jerk reaction to cut interest rates post referendum when the economy was doing well. Should have kept his mouth shut (given his past performance) during the campaign.

DavidL

Cleggy's missus is completely embarrassing herself on This Week with her typical glowing assessment of the success of the EU. Neil and Portillo are putting her right though.

Moving Target

Sleaford is a Tory hold as expected. UKIP second. Lib Dems get a 5% swing in a big Leave constituency. Labour knocked into fourth place, after losing their deposit in Richmond.

Moving Target

Quote from: DavidL on December 09, 2016, 00:04:14 am
Oh no, he didn't embarrass me - possibly himself, certainly his office. In his time he's failed in virtually all his predictions (forward guidance  ::) ). Total knee-jerk reaction to cut interest rates post referendum when the economy was doing well. Should have kept his mouth shut (given his past performance) during the campaign.
But what would have happened without the £80B of QE?

DavidL

Quote from: Moving Target on December 09, 2016, 07:22:48 am
But what would have happened without the £80B of QE?
Base level interest rates may have risen by a small amount to somewhere closer to 'normal' levels and hard pressed savers may have finally been given some good news.  Inflation would have risen closer towards  BoE target of 2%. Businesses would have survived this adjustment back towards normality and consumers, who have enjoyed low prices on food etc. for years, would have too.

DavidL

McDonalds to move their european financial base from Luxembourg to the UK

DavidL

Quote from: Moving Target on December 09, 2016, 07:20:50 am
Sleaford is a Tory hold as expected. UKIP second. Lib Dems get a 5% swing in a big Leave constituency. Labour knocked into fourth place, after losing their deposit in Richmond.
The demise of The Labour Party continues

döm

Quote from: DavidL on December 09, 2016, 10:58:01 am
McDonalds to move their european financial base from Luxembourg to the UK



So that's the plan for the UK post Brexit.  To become a tax haven?  Weather not as favourable as Bermuda unfortunately
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

The Letter R

Quote from: Nick on December 08, 2016, 19:01:33 pm
Why is BJ still Foreign Secretary? Again he has been reprimanded by the government for making spurious statements (Saudi this time), if he is not towing the governmental line what on earth is he doing?



To be fair he was only speaking the truth when he was making those statements - probably not the sort of truth that should be vocalised by someone in his position though........

Nick

I agree that it may well be the truth but he is supposed to be a diplomat. If we are going to expand our exports outside of Europe this does not help. Unfrortunately making business more difficult with our European partners may necessitate dealing with unpalatable other Countries.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

DavidL

Quote from: Nick on December 09, 2016, 13:39:31 pm
I agree that it may well be the truth but he is supposed to be a diplomat. If we are going to expand our exports outside of Europe this does not help. Unfrortunately making business more difficult with our European partners may necessitate dealing with unpalatable other Countries.
Well, there's always been a lot more money in selling warplanes to the Saudis than selling white flags to the French  ;)