Brexit watch

Started by Nick, October 20, 2016, 17:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Quartly and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

DavidL

November 15, 2016, 13:42:20 pm #225 Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 15:02:58 pm by DavidL
Quote from: Nick on November 15, 2016, 13:33:39 pm
No plan and 30000 more civil servants required. What a farce.
Reports say it's from a consulting firm in a 'pitch' for work from the government.
If there is no plan, it's due to the delusional arrogance of the government, prior to the referendum, who were overwhelmingly, Remainiacs.

Nick

Still waiting on a bit of good news due to Brexit. Really it's astonishing that after all the leavers "getting our country back" that no actual benefits can be shown.

The Pm's trip to India to drum up trade seems to have ended with her returning with her tail between her legs, Farage has upstaged her in the USA, the automotive industry has been promised some form of backhander .... it's all one way traffic.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

DavidL

November 15, 2016, 19:32:02 pm #227 Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 19:47:21 pm by DavidL
Quote from: Nick on November 15, 2016, 19:00:02 pm
Still waiting on a bit of good news due to Brexit. Really it's astonishing that after all the leavers "getting our country back" that no actual benefits can be shown.

"Astonishing" - really? Considering the process of negotiating our departure has not yet started, I think it's premature to make such a statement. If you want Brexit to be a success, at least you have to be thankful that the 'immediate and profound' economic shock has not materialised. No immediate interest rate rise, no immediate house price crash, no immediate flight of capital, no immediate large scale job losses, no immediate fall in growth and no sign of an emergency budget. The fall in sterling could be seen as negative although it has certainly helped exports and promoted consumer spending (in the short term) - so not all bad.


Nice to see even that old trot, John McDonnell now concedes it could present opportunities. Let's all be positive and hope he's right.

BasspedalMan

I think the fact that the media will report on a sneeze these days is clouding all of our views. In the old days news filtered down more slowly and people were under less scrutiny so had time to debate and discuss. 24/7 news has just meant that all our politicians are more concerned about how what they do LOOKS rather than what it actually DOES!

If we all just calmed down a bit and got on with our lives it will just be what it will be. The EU is corrupt to the core and it has its' favourites who get the most out of the pot and always have done! The Euro calamity is bankrupting the EU and we would likely get dragged into the bail outs. The writing is on the wall for the European Union in a political sense. I hope the values live on but the Commission is unaccountable and unaudited for god knows how many years. There are stupid, petty wastes such as the fortnightly schlep to Strasbourg and headline policies on Farming and Fishing that are IGNORED other EU members with zero penalty.

We just need to remain calm and confident and  ignore the body-language from elsewhere...
Ok, I'll join in...

1981 x 1
1983 x 4
1988 x 2
1992 x 2
1996 x 2
1997 x 5
2002 x 3
2004 x 7
2007 x 7
2011 x 3
2013 x 3

DavidL

Quote from: BasspedalMan on November 16, 2016, 13:43:56 pm
I think the fact that the media will report on a sneeze these days is clouding all of our views. In the old days news filtered down more slowly and people were under less scrutiny so had time to debate and discuss. 24/7 news has just meant that all our politicians are more concerned about how what they do LOOKS rather than what it actually DOES!

If we all just calmed down a bit and got on with our lives it will just be what it will be. The EU is corrupt to the core and it has its' favourites who get the most out of the pot and always have done! The Euro calamity is bankrupting the EU and we would likely get dragged into the bail outs. The writing is on the wall for the European Union in a political sense. I hope the values live on but the Commission is unaccountable and unaudited for god knows how many years. There are stupid, petty wastes such as the fortnightly schlep to Strasbourg and headline policies on Farming and Fishing that are IGNORED other EU members with zero penalty.

We just need to remain calm and confident and  ignore the body-language from elsewhere...
Well said!  ;)

In the meantime, Google are investing up to £1bn on a new London HQ creating up to 3000 jobs. Japanese firm, Softbank announced it will base its £80bn tech fund in the UK. Inflation has slowed and  today it was announced that unemployment has fallen to an 11 year low. Also, average pay up by 2.4%.

Seems things are going in the right direction .........at the moment. As comrade McDonnell says "it's time we all were more positive about Brexit"

döm

More nonsense to beat the EU with.


This unaudited thing really needs to die a death. Go and find out when the UK Government accounts were last audited. I've a fair idea its a lot longer than the EU.


Corrupt to the core? Where's the evidence for this? Why weren't all the pro-brexit groups shouting this from thevrooftops.


Now I agree that certain EU countries are more corrupt than others but this will be reduced by having to comply with EU regulations.


Favourites who get the most out of the pot. The structural fund invests in poorer regions throughout Europe. Some parts of the UK even will be crossing their fingers that such investment will be continued by the UK government post brexit.


Agree on the wastes but these are relatively low and show me the country that doesn't waste money.


Need some evidence on the rule flouting?
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: DavidL on November 16, 2016, 14:13:13 pm
Inflation has slowed and  today it was announced that unemployment has fallen to an 11 year low. Also, average pay up by 2.4%.

is this because of Brexit? Most probably not.
If things had moved the other way, would it have been the fault of Brexit? According to Project Fear MOST CERTAINLY!

Is the economy far too complicated for economists to model and predict? YES!

Is it better for the British people to get on with being British in Britain without having to pander to trying to keep the rest of Europe happy? Probably. At least it will be our own money being wasted at home, instead of being squandered on Spanish airports that are never used :)
Legend in my own Mind


DavidL

Quote from: DavidL on November 15, 2016, 13:42:20 pm
Reports say it's from a consulting firm in a 'pitch' for work from the government.
Deloitte

Bisto

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on November 16, 2016, 21:52:10 pm
Is it better for the British people to get on with being British in Britain...?



And what, pray tell, is that exactly?
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

döm

You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: Bisto on November 16, 2016, 23:15:58 pm

And what, pray tell, is that exactly?

Whatever you want it to be - as long as it's not foreign. Obvs.



Legend in my own Mind


Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: döm on November 16, 2016, 20:17:48 pm

This unaudited thing really needs to die a death.

Yes. the EU accounts are audited every year. They never used to be signed off as being accurate in line with whatever GAAP they are audited against.
However, whilst the auditors now approve them as being a true and fair account of EU expenditure, they still contain material amounts of expenditure - more than 2% of the total - which was spent in error.


https://fullfact.org/europe/did-auditors-sign-eu-budget/


QuoteGo and find out when the UK Government accounts were last audited. I've a fair idea its a lot longer than the EU.
The NAO seem to think they're doing a pretty good job.


Legend in my own Mind


döm

You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Slim

Quote from: Nick on November 15, 2016, 19:00:02 pm
Still waiting on a bit of good news due to Brexit. Really it's astonishing that after all the leavers "getting our country back" that no actual benefits can be shown.


Nick, I'll let you know when we've actually left the EU. In the meantime positive potential benefits have already been articulated in this thread and others, many times.

In other, related news: pitiful Remoaner desperation brutally slapped down - on the BBC, of all places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT8fkefynzM

Nick

While we wait to leave the EU I saw a paragraph that summed the future up quite well.

The UK could and should be a leading member of one of the three great blocs in the world, wielding influence and setting an example with its EU partners on co-operation, progress, and civilised values. If it leaves the EU it will be an increasingly diminished and marginal offshore island, sucking its thumb while the great blocs make decisions in which it takes no part but by which it is helplessly affected.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.