Brexit watch

Started by Nick, October 20, 2016, 17:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.

döm

Quote from: Slim on November 08, 2016, 14:36:02 pm
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.

Claptrap and hyperbole. Since when has the UK been under the yoke of the EU ?
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: Nick on November 08, 2016, 13:43:33 pm
So it looks like long term we are going to be £25 billion a year worse off (due to Brexit) as tax revenue will fall, which can only mean less for NHS, services etc etc.

I would have thought government and Sovereignty would stop us from hurting ourselves in the national interest, afterall if your child was holding a lit firework im sure you would intervene as a parent.

http://citywire.co.uk/wealth-manager/news/chancellor-faces-25bn-hole-in-public-finances-post-brexit/a966591

Pure speculation.
I've said it before, and no doubt I'll say it again: Economics is BUNK!

Whether you're a Brexiteer or a Bremoaner, your economic forecasts are not worth the paper they're written on. We live in a global economy, events that can derail economies - or indeed propel them along at a fair old clip - could arise from anywhere.

Economics like wetting your finger and sticking it in the air to forecast the weather* :)

* As used by Paul Hudson on the BBS's Look North
Legend in my own Mind

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: döm on November 08, 2016, 13:46:18 pm

That's only scaremongering - you wouldn't see stuff like that in the Mail!

Page 18 I think you'll find :)
Legend in my own Mind

NeilP

Quote from: Slim on November 08, 2016, 14:36:02 pm

his beer aint bad too

DavidL

Quote from: NeilP on November 08, 2016, 21:20:10 pm

his beer aint bad too
"The whole country's completely paralyzed!"

Better quote/ Better beer  :) ;)

Slim

Quote from: döm on November 08, 2016, 14:50:36 pm

Claptrap and hyperbole. Since when has the UK been under the yoke of the EU ?

Lick those hands, Dom. Suck the fingers if it makes you feel better, but make sure you stay on your knees.

döm

Quote from: Slim on November 09, 2016, 00:34:25 am
Lick those hands, Dom. Suck the fingers if it makes you feel better, but make sure you stay on your knees.

Funny man!

Slim

I apologise, Dom. That sort of rhetoric is no substitute for an argument, I must admit.

Here's what I was getting at, hopefully expressed in a more considered tone. £25 billion is as nothing next to the principle that our country should only be governed by its own citizens, in its own interest. Good people have fought and died for that.

And it's by no means certain that we'll be worse off in the longer term, anyway.

döm

Quote from: Slim on November 09, 2016, 12:53:03 pm
I apologise, Dom. That sort of rhetoric is no substitute for an argument, I must admit.

Here's what I was getting at, hopefully expressed in a more considered tone. £25 billion is as nothing next to the principle that our country should only be governed by its own citizens, in its own interest. Good people have fought and died for that.

And it's by no means certain that we'll be worse off in the longer term, anyway.

That's fair enough my claptrap and hyperbole comment was ott as well and probably wound you up a bit - I do understand where you're coming from I just don't share that viewpoint.  Is it really that important ?  At the end of the day what difference will this minor shift in sovereignty make? I get the point about a country governing in its own interest but any country trying to flourish in this ever increasingly interdependent World always has to consider those around it when making decisions.  As a member of the EU those decisions were a little more formalised, that's all. To the average person in the street, I really don't think Brexit will make any material difference to their lives.

DavidL

Quote from: döm on November 09, 2016, 13:22:04 pm
To the average person in the street, I really don't think Brexit will make any material difference to their lives.
??
Jeez! Have we been wasting our time here or what?  ??? ;)

döm

Quote from: DavidL on November 09, 2016, 17:39:25 pm
??

So it will enable some to be able to puff their chests out a little bit further. I hope it's worth it!

Slim

Quote from: döm on November 09, 2016, 19:20:55 pm

So it will enable some to be able to puff their chests out a little bit further. I hope it's worth it!

It will (for example) allow us to reduce immigration from Eastern Europe dramatically, reducing strain on public services and safeguarding jobs for British workers. It will allow us to overturn laws that aren't useful or wanted. And we won't be forking out cash to prop up other countries' economies.

DavidL

Quote from: DavidL on November 09, 2016, 17:39:25 pm
??
I mean debating so fiercely the subject on this forum

DavidL

Quote from: Slim on November 10, 2016, 14:40:22 pm
It will (for example) allow us to reduce immigration from Eastern Europe dramatically, reducing strain on public services and safeguarding jobs for British workers. It will allow us to overturn laws that aren't useful or wanted. And we won't be forking out cash to prop up other countries' economies.
Succinct and accurate