Brexit watch

Started by Nick, October 20, 2016, 17:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

DavidL

November 07, 2016, 00:20:47 am #180 Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 07:31:55 am by DavidL
Seems like Tom Watson has put Corbyn in a headlock and made him promise to not block the triggering of article 50. Some patience these Labour supporters need at the moment.
Shame really. With 'blocking Article 50' as Labour policy, a snap election would surely see a huge loss of seats in parliament as furious Brexiteers replace their MPs with those from UKIP.

NeilP

that would probably lead to a hung parliament with UKIP's tail wagging the dog

NeilP

Quote from: DavidL on November 06, 2016, 13:16:11 pm
That's fine but the conundrum remains - on what basis would most MPs vote to trigger article 50 other than their desire for the UK to remain in or leave the EU?



I assume they'd vote to trigger it once they knew what our negotiating stance was and what we were looking for from the new arrangement, seems sensible?

DavidL

Quote from: NeilP on November 07, 2016, 10:39:41 am

I assume they'd vote to trigger it once they knew what our negotiating stance was and what we were looking for from the new arrangement, seems sensible?
But it would be pointless because what we're looking for and what we are likely to get may be very different. And what if they disagreed with that stance?
An unecessary distraction designed to frustrate, delay and water-down the terms of departure. If it looks like a duck.......

döm

November 07, 2016, 11:52:17 am #184 Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 13:17:11 pm by döm
Could you make it up?


India wants freer access for its people in return for a better trade deal.


I think they're messing with May's head!
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

DavidL

Quote from: döm on November 07, 2016, 11:52:17 am
Could you make it up?


India wants freer access for its people in return for a better trade deal.


I think they're messing with May's head!
She definitely needs to give access to a couple of Indian waiters - to replace those taken the other week, by immigration, from David Cameron's favourite Witney restaurant  ;D

Nick

Somehow I think every trade deal will have this component. It's going to take years to sort
them out.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

döm

Quote from: DavidL on November 07, 2016, 13:40:29 pm
She definitely needs to give access to a couple of Indian waiters - to replace those taken the other week, by immigration, from David Cameron's favourite Witney restaurant  ;D



;D
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

döm

Quote from: Nick on November 07, 2016, 14:41:12 pm
Somehow I think every trade deal will have this component. It's going to take years to sort
them out.


It's deliciously ironic isn't it (as was David's story about his wife's birthday and the restaurant being closed due to an illegal immigration raid) .  To get the kind of trade deals that were promised in post-brexit land the UK will have to agree to the free movement of people on a Worldwide scale!


I suppose not being in the Single market will mean that at least those pesky Europeans won't be able to get in willy-nilly!
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

NeilP

Ah, so those red-white-and-blue British patriots who fought to "take back control" are now fighting in court to gag our sovereign British parliament. Gilbert and Sullivan - even Monty Python - couldn't have made that up.
Prof Richard Dawkins, Oxford.
Letter to The Guardian

Moving Target


Slim

Quote from: NeilP on November 08, 2016, 09:15:29 am
Ah, so those red-white-and-blue British patriots who fought to "take back control" are now fighting in court to gag our sovereign British parliament. Gilbert and Sullivan - even Monty Python - couldn't have made that up.
Prof Richard Dawkins, Oxford.
Letter to The Guardian


We voted to take back control of our affairs from the EU, not from the British people.

DavidL

November 08, 2016, 10:42:58 am #192 Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 10:44:54 am by DavidL
Quote from: Moving Target on November 08, 2016, 09:28:39 am
Maybe the establishment is a good thing, protecting us from the ignorant....


http://foreignpolicy.com/2016/06/28/its-time-for-the-elites-to-rise-up-against-ignorant-masses-trump-2016-brexit/
How we were ever given permission to breathe the same air as these beings of superior intelligence astounds me sometimes.
I prefer  - "the 'ignorant' being protected, from themselves, ...by the arrogant"

Nick

So it looks like long term we are going to be £25 billion a year worse off (due to Brexit) as tax revenue will fall, which can only mean less for NHS, services etc etc.

I would have thought government and Sovereignty would stop us from hurting ourselves in the national interest, afterall if your child was holding a lit firework im sure you would intervene as a parent.

http://citywire.co.uk/wealth-manager/news/chancellor-faces-25bn-hole-in-public-finances-post-brexit/a966591
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

döm

Quote from: Nick on November 08, 2016, 13:43:33 pm
So it looks like long term we are going to be £25 billion a year worse off (due to Brexit) as tax revenue will fall, which can only mean less for NHS, services etc etc.

I would have thought government and Sovereignty would stop us from hurting ourselves in the national interest, afterall if your child was holding a lit firework im sure you would intervene as a parent.

http://citywire.co.uk/wealth-manager/news/chancellor-faces-25bn-hole-in-public-finances-post-brexit/a966591



That's only scaremongering - you wouldn't see stuff like that in the Mail!
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!