Brexit watch

Started by Nick, October 20, 2016, 17:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Moving Target

November 03, 2016, 10:25:02 am #105 Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 10:43:27 am by Moving Target
The High Court has ruled that Parliament must vote on triggering Article 50.

Nearly all Labour MPs, all Scottish Nationalists and all eight Lib Dems will vote against the Government.  Just fifty Tory rebels can sink Hard Brexit, and there are probably a hundred pro-EU Tories.

Wonder if this will swing the Richmond Park election to the Lib Dems - they voted 77% to Remain, and they have one of the most Eurosceptic of MPs.

The Government is expected to appeal against the decision.

döm

Parliamentary democracy 1 - Authoritarian Government 0
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

DavidL

An election before any parliamentary vote on Brexit should sort out those MPs that treat the electorate with such contempt.

döm

Quote from: DavidL on November 03, 2016, 11:54:05 am
An election before any parliamentary vote on Brexit should sort out those MPs that treat the electorate with such contempt.

Will MPS whose own electorate voted against Brexit be entitled to vote as the majority of their own constituents did?

I don't think it's about yes/no at this stage though, that has gone. But it is about ensuring that the terms of the exit are debated and agreed upon. That sounds perfectly right and reasonable to me.

Moving Target

November 03, 2016, 13:08:44 pm #109 Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 15:37:47 pm by Moving Target
Quote from: DavidL on November 03, 2016, 11:54:05 am

Mrs May could go to the country if she fails to get enough support from her own MPs.  Though many people who voted Leave now want to change their vote. I could see some Northern Labour seats falling to UKIP.
Seems more likely to me that they will kick the can down the road for a while then eventually work out some watered-down form of Brexit.

DavidL

Quote from: Moving Target on November 03, 2016, 13:08:44 pm
  Though many people who voted Leave now want to change their vote.
Not sure where you're getting that from (Guardian?). You are discounting all the people who voted to Remain for fear of "immediate and profound effects on the economy" -  that would now vote to Leave.
This is just a spoiling tactic from the Remoaners. How can you possibly give a vote on triggering Article 50 before negotiations start?? The EU say there will be no negotiations before it is triggered, so to try to guess the outcome of negotiations is futile. What the Remoaners want is to delay the exit as long as possible in the hope that the government will cave in and pursue Brexit-lite.
We should have a second referendum - let's call it a general election and have a clearout of all those craven MPs that think this country is too weak to stand on its own feet. I trust the British people would do the right thing....again.

Moving Target

Quote from: DavidL on November 03, 2016, 14:39:08 pm
Not sure where you're getting that from (Guardian?). You are discounting all the people who voted to Remain for fear of "immediate and profound effects on the economy" -  that would now vote to Leave.

The Express said 1.13 million Leavers now want to Remain and "thousands" of Remainers now want to Leave

[/size]To be fair I think even Brenialers would be experiencing "immediate and profound effects" if Carney had not dumped £80B of quantitative easing in.

[/font]This is just a spoiling tactic from the Remoaners. How can you possibly give a vote on triggering Article 50 before negotiations start?? The EU say there will be no negotiations before it is triggered, so to try to guess the outcome of negotiations is futile. What the Remoaners want is to delay the exit as long as possible in the hope that the government will cave in and pursue Brexit-lite.
We should have a second referendum - let's call it a general election and have a clearout of all those craven MPs that think this country is too weak to stand on its own feet. I trust the British people would do the right thing....again.

[/size]
[/size]I'm happy with another GE.  Some 500 of the 650 MPs are Remainers so it will be interesting.  Wonder if Goldsmith will survive, given that 77% of his constituents voted Leave?

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: döm on November 03, 2016, 11:07:18 am
Cry Babies 1 - Community of the Realm 0

Fixed for TRUTH.
Legend in my own Mind

döm

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on November 03, 2016, 15:57:40 pm
Fixed for TRUTH.

Yes Nick I'm sure it is the TRUTH in your mind.

What is that Russian daily called - Pravda ?  I'm sure they believe it too!

Moving Target

If Parliament has to enact an Article 50 Act, the Lords will get a say, and they do not answer to any constituents.

Poor old Brenialers. They wanted supremacy of Parliament over the EU, supremacy of British courts, and when the one is upheld by the other they squeal.

Bez

I actually laughed when I saw the news earlier....

Cat well and truly among the pigeons  ;D
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

DavidL

So the overpaid Canuck bean-counter is making predictions again. Based on his past performance, I can't believe anyone would take it seriously.
He's definitely got some brass neck, that's a fact.

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: döm on November 03, 2016, 16:31:04 pm

Yes Nick I'm sure it is the TRUTH in your mind.

It's as much truth as what you wrote.

Parliament is there as an expression of the will of the people. The people willed Brexit. If a Government doing the express will of the community of the realm is authoritarian, then I'd hate to read your dictionary :)
Legend in my own Mind

döm

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on November 03, 2016, 20:18:53 pm
It's as much truth as what you wrote.

Parliament is there as an expression of the will of the people. The people willed Brexit. If a Government doing the express will of the community of the realm is authoritarian, then I'd hate to read your dictionary :)

I'd go along with that if it was 65% plus of the people but 52% is hardly a ringing endorsement.  But putting that to one side, the people chose Brexit but they certainly weren't able to give any indication judgement on what form of  Brexit should ensue.  This detail needs to be debated by parliament and not railroaded through by the government.  The government have no mandate to decide by themselves which form Brexit should take.

Slim

Quote from: Moving Target on November 03, 2016, 08:41:16 amThat was not clear to me.  The words "Single Market" did not appear in the Referendum question. I thought that there were various types of possible Brexit available for negotiation including the Norway model, Swiss model, the EU-Turkey Customs Union arrangement and CETA.

You weren't paying attention then - Cameron, Osborne, Gove, Johnson and others made it explicitly clear that Brexit = no single market.