• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.
July 15, 2019, 23:00:09 pm

Brexit watch

Started by Nick, October 20, 2016, 17:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: Nick on October 30, 2016, 17:32:36 pm
Meanwhile the French speaking Canadians have completed their 7 year CETA negotiations and now have a market of 508 million people to target with 98% of tariffs removed.

But they always did have a market of 508 million to target. It's just that some of their products and services now have lower tariffs on them. Be interesting to see what the 2% covers. Capital has been flowing freely into the EU - specifically the UK - from Canadian pension funds for years now
Are you going to buy more Maple syrup? Coon skin caps? Birch Bark canoes?

QuoteWe are in reverse.

No we're not. I'm sure that in a post Brexit world the denizens of the Bright Dominion of Canadia can use this deal as a framework for a UK/Canuck deal.
Legend in my own Mind

DavidL

The Ceta deal is great news for the Remoaners and shows just what can be achieved after 7 years of negotiations.
Big blow for the Brexiteers who thought that it was not possible to get an agreement. Tusk and Juncker will be getting 'mullered' tonight, for sure.

Nick

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on October 30, 2016, 20:30:25 pm

Are you going to buy more Maple syrup? Coon skin caps? Birch Bark canoes?

Going to buy more Rush, duty free New Rush (somewhat knackered by the collapse of Sterling).
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

döm

You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

DavidL

Quote from: döm on November 01, 2016, 13:28:57 pm
Go Polly!

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/oct/31/nissan-comfort-letter-car-brexit
You need to disguise the link, Dom. I'm sure I'm not the only one that sees that it's a Guardian story and ignores it  ;)

Nïckslïkk2112

Legend in my own Mind

döm

You should both read it and provide counter arguments rather than dismissing it out of hand.

I suppose everyone who disagrees with Nick is related to Satan in some way.

What does that make me?
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: döm on November 01, 2016, 22:42:05 pm
You should both read it and provide counter arguments rather than dismissing it out of hand.

When the totally bonkers Polly does the same, I might think about it. Might.

QuoteI suppose everyone who disagrees with Nick is related to Satan in some way.

Really? That would mean they are family, for I am Old Nick :)

QuoteWhat does that make me?

Your number is 667

Interesting article in the D**ly M**l financial pages today about how Canadian Pension funds make good returns by investing in UK infrastructure projects, whilst British pension funds have vast sums of money they'd like to invest, but can't due to EU Solvency II laws which mean they have to hold more capital back.
If the EU are happy to drop 98% of tariffs on trade with Canada and not require freedom of labour movement, why can't they do the same for us? They just have to imagine that we're 4,000 miles away, but easily reachable by Hypersonic trains.
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

Quote from: Moving Target on October 29, 2016, 07:16:25 amSo it was futile for people to vote Tory during the Blair government? That government was the democratically expressed will of the people, wasn't it?

It's a comparison that doesn't being to make sense, Rob. Voting Tory during the Blair government offered a possibility of a change of government - we have a General Election every five years (four or five at that time). That government was elected under the democratically expressed will of the people for the duration of one parliament, because that's what they voted for.

QuoteAre you sure that the May plan represents the will of the people, especially when so many say they would change their Referendum vote to Remain?

The will of the people was assessed, following a long process in which each side was given endless opportunity to express its case, on June 23rd. I don't know what the May plan is exactly and there are good reasons for it not to be exposed, given that we are entering a period of negotiations. But the following bullet points certainly apply:

• we voted to leave the EU

• both sides made clear that this means leaving the Single Market

Slim

Quote from: DavidL on November 01, 2016, 20:05:06 pm
You need to disguise the link, Dom. I'm sure I'm not the only one that sees that it's a Guardian story and ignores it  ;)

Yes. Silly, silly cow. Typical of the Left though - they like democracy when it suits them, otherwise they're as illiberal as the Nazis.

DavidL

November 02, 2016, 07:04:55 am #100 Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 14:43:48 pm by DavidL
Quote from: Slim on November 02, 2016, 00:16:19 am
Yes. Silly, silly cow. Typical of the Left though - they like democracy when it suits them, otherwise they're as illiberal as the Nazis.
An intolerance of the views of 'others' seems to be a feature of many that align themselves with the Left. Unfortunately this is sometimes expressed vehemently (and violently) by disruptive direct action protests against those with whom they disagree (some of the vitriolic outpourings towards Brexiteers, another example, from that creed). Some seem to be gripped by a 'romanticism' that they associate with being part of a reactionary movement (see Corbynistas).
As long as the ideology is far removed from the views of the majority of the UK electorate, which it surely is, they will be nothing more than a (very) noisy irritant helping to ensure that Labour remain unelectable (ask Bliar).
Polly (probably) just about has the sense to realise this which is why she spends her time preaching to her own disciples in the Guardian. She seems to think it's better to be a big, nonsense-spouting, fish in a small pond than a small fish in a large pond full of common-sense.

Moving Target

Quote from: DavidL on October 30, 2016, 22:27:13 pm
The Ceta deal is great news for the Remoaners and shows just what can be achieved after 7 years of negotiations.
Big blow for the Brexiteers who thought that it was not possible to get an agreement. Tusk and Juncker will be getting 'mullered' tonight, for sure.

Eh?  This Remoaner is hanging on to the thought that we might get a CETA type deal by the time we Brexit!  So it is terrible news that it took the Canucks seven years.

Moving Target

Anyway, now there will be no standards in place to prevent Rush exporting their poor quality music ever since <<insert album where you think Rush jumped the shark, in my case Power Windows>> to the EU.  Boo!

BasspedalMan

Perhaps the CETA Deal can be seen as an example for 'commonwealth' countries. I am sure that the UK could cope with 2% tariffs on certain goods. Also a good point was made about how Canadian (and other foreign) pension funds happily invest in our infrastructure whilst our own pension investors are prevented from doing so by EU Rules. I was just on the remain side of the fence but I actually now think that the EU will be screwed up by the eventual disintegration of the EURO along with the dissatisfaction building in other countries about the level of financial accountability within the European Commission. I'm not scared of Brexit given the other far more scary things going on in the world. Being hitched to the EU when that ship finally sinks would be an utter disaster.
Ok, I'll join in...

1981 x 1
1983 x 4
1988 x 2
1992 x 2
1996 x 2
1997 x 5
2002 x 3
2004 x 7
2007 x 7
2011 x 3
2013 x 3

Moving Target

November 03, 2016, 08:41:16 am #104 Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 10:22:35 am by Moving Target
Quote from: Slim on November 02, 2016, 00:13:26 am
It's a comparison that doesn't being to make sense, Rob. Voting Tory during the Blair government offered a possibility of a change of government - we have a General Election every five years (four or five at that time). That government was elected under the democratically expressed will of the people for the duration of one parliament, because that's what they voted for.

Fair enough.

QuoteThe will of the people was assessed, following a long process in which each side was given endless opportunity to express its case, on June 23rd. I don't know what the May plan is exactly and there are good reasons for it not to be exposed, given that we are entering a period of negotiations. But the following bullet points certainly apply:

• we voted to leave the EU

•    
  • both sides made clear that this means leaving the Single Market

That was not clear to me.  The words "Single Market" did not appear in the Referendum question. I thought that there were various types of possible Brexit available for negotiation including the Norway model, Swiss model, the EU-Turkey Customs Union arrangement and CETA.