Brexit watch

Started by Nick, October 20, 2016, 18:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: döm on October 27, 2016, 14:03:25 pm

Brexit could be defined as "putting politics over everything".  And Fox was a leading campainger for Brexit. The man bleeds irony!

Maybe, he knows as a politician that he's a public servant, so he's now doing what the public want :)
Let's put the politics of our country above that of the politics of Europe, let's all join together in the community of the realm.
Legend in my own Mind

DavidL

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on October 27, 2016, 15:20:20 pm
Maybe, he knows as a politician that he's a public servant, so he's now doing what the public want :)
Let's put the politics of our country above that of the politics of Europe, let's all join together in the community of the realm.
Extremely well put, my man  ;)

Moving Target

Hmm, I'd say that his mandate is to do what his constituents want.  Anyway how does he know what the public want?  There has been no Referendum on the type of Brexit to pursue, and there should be.

Nick

Quote from: DavidL on October 27, 2016, 14:44:07 pm

More likely she's promised compensation which hopefully will not be required (I think it may currently be the most efficient car plant in europe).

Good news for Sunderland, however if there has been compensation promised then all UK manufactures should get the same, you cant be giving aid to individual companies or industries and not others.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

DavidL

October 27, 2016, 17:25:43 pm #64 Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 17:29:00 pm by DavidL
Quote from: Nick on October 27, 2016, 16:47:11 pm
Good news for Sunderland, however if there has been compensation promised then all UK manufactures should get the same, you cant be giving aid to individual companies or industries and not others.
That's true, she could jolly well be hoisted on her own petard if that is the case - let's just hope Mr Ghosn could see how well the economy is doing in comparison to others and realised there could be a bright future ahead for UK plc.

döm

Doing what some of the public wants - yes the majority of people perhaps who got of their asses to vote but really who knows what even they wanted
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

DavidL

Quote from: döm on October 27, 2016, 17:32:39 pm

Doing what some of the public wants - yes the majority of people perhaps who got of their asses to vote but really who knows what even they wanted
::) 
Classic 'Remoaning'  ;)

DavidL

October 27, 2016, 19:50:14 pm #67 Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 19:58:35 pm by DavidL
Stop press! Ceta back on as Wallonia given 'safeguards' to protect their farmers. Juncker and Tusk are getting plastered.
They'd better hope the other 27 countries are happy about Wallonia's 'concessions'.

döm

Slim

October 27, 2016, 20:04:16 pm #69 Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 20:08:31 pm by Slim
Quote from: döm on October 27, 2016, 14:23:40 pm
I wonder whether Nissan have been given  a nod and a wink about access to the single market or whether the government have agreed to compensate the car firm for any tariffs imposed post brexit. 

According to the article....

Last month, he warned that Nissan might not invest in the Sunderland plant unless the government guaranteed compensation for costs related to any new trade tariffs resulting from Brexit.

Both sides deny the suggestion that Nissan will receive state aid or compensation, or has had a special deal. Was quite amused to hear one of Labour's front bench team floundering in an interview about it earlier - just not prepared to see a positive side in jobs being secured in the North East. Wanting to know what secret deal Nissan has had (no evidence of this at all) and complaining that the government is organising economic strategy post-Brexit with foreign companies individually, or sector by sector (no evidence for that either). For a party that, especially at the moment, is deeply, toxically interventionist, I found that quite laughable.

Slim

October 27, 2016, 20:07:51 pm #70 Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 21:09:53 pm by Slim
Quote from: Nick on October 27, 2016, 16:47:11 pm

The government has confirmed that that is not happening, and I agree with you on that. But actually it's the sort of thing that some people expect all the time - take the steel industry, for example. And, to be fair, the banks.

DavidL

Quote from: Slim on October 27, 2016, 20:04:16 pm
For a party that, especially at the moment, is deeply, toxically interventionist, I found that quite laughable.
The party bleeds irony  ;D ;)

Slim

Quote from: Moving Target on October 27, 2016, 12:39:00 pm
Now Labour front-benchers are calling for their Party not to stand in Richmond Park, to maximise the chance of a Lib Dem win.

I hadn't heard that.

A week ago Corbyn, or whatever mouth-breathing left-wing clown runs his social media accounts, was crowing that Labour had taken Batley and Spen with 85% of the vote - not a mention anywhere in his post that all of the other main parties had decided not to stand, because of the circumstances of the by-election. So presumably when they get 0% of the vote in Richmond Park, we'll be entitled to take to Twitter and Facebook to say that Corbyn's Labour was wiped out by the voters.

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: döm on October 27, 2016, 17:32:39 pm

And who knows what the Bremoaners really want?
How much do they really know and understand about the aims of the EU?
How much do they know about the running and governance of the EU?

I wouldn't give house room to most of the barely educated filth who voted for Brexit, nor would I give house room to the supposedly educated liberal pussies who burst into tears because they won't be able to wrap themselves in the EU flag anymore. I'm just satisfied we got what I think is the right result even if for the wrong reasons.
Legend in my own Mind

döm

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on October 27, 2016, 21:21:13 pm
And who knows what the Bremoaners really want?
How much do they really know and understand about the aims of the EU?
How much do they know about the running and governance of the EU?

I wouldn't give house room to most of the barely educated filth who voted for Brexit, nor would I give house room to the supposedly educated liberal pussies who burst into tears because they won't be able to wrap themselves in the EU flag anymore. I'm just satisfied we got what I think is the right result even if for the wrong reasons.

True, the whole thing was a farce.  How can it be democratic when the majority on both sides didn't have a clue what they were voting for? Far too complex a question with such a multitude of consequences that it should never have been a question for a referendum.