• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.
July 16, 2019, 15:00:04 pm

Brexit watch

Started by Nick, October 20, 2016, 17:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: Bisto on April 16, 2017, 12:23:58 pm
I'm speaking only for myself here, but I suspect it may well be a position held by many other Remain voters....I might have been able to come to terms with the Brexit vote if it had been a legitimate mandate given by the majority; but we all know that it was a referendum that was conceived and delivered in gross ignorance and bad conscience, the full consequences of which were never set out, and indeed could never have been known without the benefit of a working Crystal Ball! For the then PM to expect and enable the electorate to take such a monumental gamble with the direct futures of 4 Nations merely in order to placate his own Right wing backbenchers and attempt to emasculate UKIP was the act of a coward, a traitor and a Fool whose fortune and future was already secured and innoculated against the far reaching, negative, damaging and potentially devastating consequences inherent in the Brexit vote. So he fell on his sword...Boo fecking hoo! So what?! Is he really any less wealthy now than he was picking up a PMs salary? What a complete and utter Jeremy Hunt!

I understand the arguement of those Remain voters who now say; "lets get on with it, negotiate the best terms and make the best of it" because it seems we have no choice, and to do something 'positive' is better than just being bitter and wringing your hands; but, do you really think PMA and a 'can do attitude' will save the UK economies from the changed post EEU realities that will dominate and dictate how we Trade, and with whom, or protect Sterling from vultures like Saros?!

It was a referendum conceived by someone - a supposed hated Conservative - who fully thought that the referendum would be to stay. Let's face it, the population of the UK has been promised referendums on Europe for years by both sides of the political spectrum. It was given one and it voted out. BLiar copped out of a referendum because the closer union got renamed the Lisbon treaty. Vast swathes of the British people vote the same way in general elections on both the left and right without any thought as to what is actually best for the country. Those to the right are supposed to be Little Englanders who will hate Europe come what may, those on the left who will vote for a dead pig with a red rosette pinned to it have been so marginalised by their Labour party leaders that they decided to vote to leave.

BUT no matter what, we can and will still trade with Europe, no matter what. We can and still trade with the rest of the world no matter what. Maybe even with better terms than the EU could negotiate, because the EU is not about trade in the world, it is about the creation of a European superstate and bugger the rest of the world. What happened to Rome? What happened to the British Empire? What happened to the USSR? They all fell apart and in ever more rapid time periods.

Oh, and:

SAROS

SAROS

SAROS
Legend in my own Mind

döm

Exellent analysis going through what the UK is to face as it seeks its own trade deals

https://www.chathamhouse.org/publications/twt/bracing-ourselves-brexit
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Nick

Quote from: döm on April 16, 2017, 19:26:57 pm
Exellent analysis going through what the UK is to face as it seeks its own trade deals

https://www.chathamhouse.org/publications/twt/bracing-ourselves-brexit

Great article, shame this couldn't have been simplified an sold during the vote. I really think that despite TM's recent statement "Britain is coming together" i get a feeling that the true impact is beginning to dawn on the population as a whole, its hugely worrying.

Yes we can still trade with Europe but we will trade less and margins will be eroded.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Slim

Quote from: Nick on April 16, 2017, 22:00:33 pm
Great article, shame this couldn't have been simplified an sold during the vote. I really think that despite TM's recent statement "Britain is coming together" i get a feeling that the true impact is beginning to dawn on the population as a whole, its hugely worrying.

I have the impression that what's begun to dawn on the population as a whole is that the fear and gloom still being peddled by the losers is bogus.

As for the supposed excellence of Simon Fraser's piece - I think that's something that remains to be proven.

döm

Slim

There's a paywall on that one, unfortunately.

Or perhaps it's not that unfortunate. Anyway I think it's clear that a number of journalists and other media figures are still upset about leaving the EU.

I wouldn't, myself, be too sceptical about the prospect of having our cake and eating it - we are after all one of the world's largest and most powerful economies, and what remains of the EU cannot afford to mess us about in the name of injured pride.

NeilP

Quote from: NeilP on April 14, 2017, 12:28:09 pm
there'll be a GE before we leave I'm certain

What do I know?

döm

April 18, 2017, 11:52:02 am #982 Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 12:12:10 pm by döm
Quote from: NeilP on April 18, 2017, 11:32:27 am

What do I know?

Good call!

The FT article was quoting David Davis believing that the EU should allow the European Banking and Medecines agencies to remain in London. Cuckoo!

Slim

You weren't wrong and I confess I'm surprised. I wanted the boundary changes first.

However it looks like the end of the Labour Party. Yes it's opportunist but boundary changes or no, we are simply going to eviscerate the Labour Party.

NeilP

Not sure what Labour will do..... try to hold on to their safe seats? Lib Dems will probably increase their vote and seats in the SW.....Scotland will remain SNP dominated, NI another mess?

Wonder what Putin thinks?

Bez

Quote from: NeilP on April 18, 2017, 14:28:54 pm
Not sure what Labour will do..... try to hold on to their safe seats? Lib Dems will probably increase their vote and seats in the SW.....Scotland will remain SNP dominated, NI another mess?

Wonder what Putin thinks?

Lib Dems won't gain enough to make a difference....but I suspect that they will gain in their traditional areas....what price Danny What'shisname & Vince Somethingorother making a comeback...

Labour will probably lose more seats in the North. The end for Corbyn

I suspect that the SNP won't do as well this time round 9how could they ?), but will still take the vast majority in Scotland

Tory majority of 30+

RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Nick

Time for a lib/lab pact?
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Slim

Quote from: Nick on April 18, 2017, 20:47:30 pm
Time for a lib/lab pact?

The last one wasn't exactly a success, but they aren't going to get a majority of seats between them unless there's a monumental banana skin lurking somewhere out there.

Slim

Take heart, remainers - one possible motive for the General Election discussed on Newsnight just now is that Theresa needs a bigger majority to get a softer Brexit past her own backbenchers.

DavidL

Quote from: Slim on April 18, 2017, 23:39:45 pm
Take heart, remainers - one possible motive for the General Election discussed on Newsnight just now is that Theresa needs a bigger majority to get a softer Brexit past her own backbenchers.
Watched that too, and that seems a fairly plausible reason for calling a GE. Theresa was a Remainer after all and is unlikely to be fully supportive of the approach favoured by some of her backbencher. A bit disappointing but a shrewd move from Mrs May. A fascinating political puzzle for Labour who are more likely to get what they want from Brexit by losing more seats.
Of course, that becomes a moot point if, as Paul Mason believes, Corbyn leads Labour to victory!