Previous topic - Next topic

zoony

Quote from: rufus the dawg on August 23, 2019, 21:39:32 pmwhat did you vote for

Canada plus plus double plus
Norway +++++ plus plus ++++
Single Market
Raspberry milkshakes all round
Bendy bananas.

Leave yes, how and with what. Because even if we leave with No deal we will have eventually sign a deal with the EU?
I voted just to LEAVE mate. There were no options on how I wanted to leave, that is up to the powers that be.

Nick

The powers that be unfortunately hadn't thought the question through
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

DavidL

Quote from: Nick on August 24, 2019, 15:15:29 pmThe powers that be unfortunately hadn't thought the question through
Yes they had. They hadn't actually thought the answer through ;D

zoony

Quote from: Nick on August 24, 2019, 15:15:29 pmThe powers that be unfortunately hadn't thought the question through
You're right mate, but that's what was on offer on the ballot paper, so it was all we could vote for.

döm

Quote from: Slim on August 24, 2019, 10:16:46 amDon't agree with this at all; exporters in the UK who want to export to the EU will comply with their standards and vice versa, it's as simple as that. What won't happen is compliance to a set of rules governing all trade, so for example if an importer in the UK wants to buy warehouse loads of chlorinated chicken it will be at liberty to do so - assuming that our own standards permit that.
Yes that's true; creating obstacles to trade for UK exporters having to prove their products are above the set standard in their home country and allowing UK consumers to put up with inferior products.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

DavidL

August 24, 2019, 20:36:11 pm #3275 Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 20:50:58 pm by DavidL Reason: addition
Bit of a tit-for-tat (or should that be a tit-to-tit?) exchange at the G7 today as the blame game has started. Personally, I hope this continues until October 31st. Boris is engaging in a bit of a con trick by implying that the backstop is the only issue with May's deal. His best outcome is surely to see the EU back down and allow other methods of ensuring there is no hard border. This is not the best outcome for Britain, if the rest of the deal remains unaltered (assuming it makes it through Parliament).
Lurking within those 599 pages are other nasties, including: obeying EU laws and paying their bills throughout the 2 year transition period, not being able to sign our own trade deals during this period, EU having legal jurisdiction over Gibraltar, acceptance of fishing quotas and tying the UK into a European defence policy. Some provisions within the agreement keep us under EU control beyond the 2 year period with the EU being able to send the UK bills until 2028! And the Political Declaration states that free movement of people is a shared aim.
If Boris gets his way over the backstop, we will Brexit in name only. The only political movement that are articulating this are the Brexit party. I hope that EU intransigence saves us from this fate and we exit cleanly, with no agreement on October 31st.
CON-servatives? On this issue, you may well be correct, Rufus.

Nick

Quote from: zoony on August 24, 2019, 15:23:41 pmYou're right mate, but that's what was on offer on the ballot paper, so it was all we could vote for.
Today's news.

Boris Johnson has said the chances of a Brexit deal are "touch and go" - having previously said the odds of a no-deal Brexit were "a million to one". 

DavidL

Quote from: Nick on August 25, 2019, 14:44:08 pmToday's news.

Boris Johnson has said the chances of a Brexit deal are "touch and go" - having previously said the odds of a no-deal Brexit were "a million to one".

"Politician tells lies" shock!

rufus the dawg

Quote from: zoony on August 24, 2019, 15:23:41 pmYou're right mate, but that's what was on offer on the ballot paper, so it was all we could vote for.
This is interesting Zoony because welsh farmers around me voted to leave and were expecting to have a deal. Now the polls show they have changed their minds because the facts have been placed in front of them. Cap payments and Tariffs on Lamb, cheap New Zealand imports etc, they are very worried bunch.

This is where there in no "will of the people".

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: rufus the dawg on August 26, 2019, 19:28:15 pmThis is interesting Zoony because welsh farmers around me voted to leave and were expecting to have a deal. Now the polls show they have changed their minds because the facts have been placed in front of them. Cap payments and Tariffs on Lamb, cheap New Zealand imports etc, they are very worried bunch.

This is where there in no "will of the people".
Well, maybe the Welsh farmers should take a look at the Inzidders and work out a better strategy. Instead of just sitting on their arses. It's what they had to do in Inzid when we stabbed them in the back by joining the EEC.

Bit of an old article, but being as you like FACTS (not that you ever come up with proper back ups to your outpourings)

https://www.nbr.co.nz/article/stab-back-did-us-favour-dw-134625
Legend in my own Mind

rufus the dawg

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on August 26, 2019, 19:51:28 pmWell, maybe the Welsh farmers should take a look at the Inzidders and work out a better strategy. Instead of just sitting on their arses. It's what they had to do in Inzid when we stabbed them in the back by joining the EEC.

Bit of an old article, but being as you like FACTS (not that you ever come up with proper back ups to your outpourings)

https://www.nbr.co.nz/article/stab-back-did-us-favour-dw-134625
Thanks nick I hope you are not cut and pasting! hehe.

Before I read it I do know that the change in the subsidies system was very difficult for them. And some committed suicide, I can not find the study though.

To quote-

"It's easy to look back at it and say this was a good decision and farming benefited, but to actually live through it was a very difficult experience," McTigue says.

However Nick, 1984 New Zealand farming is very different to UK farming today and New Zealnd export 90% of their food.

Nick for for me CAP can not carry on and is one of the up sides of brexit, sheep farming rapes the land and the farmers leave plastic all over it from the silage bales. George Mondiot has interesting thought on sheep farming and they are not good.

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/02/business/worldbusiness/02iht-farm.1.6953658.html

Thank you for the link.

DavidL

Quote from: rufus the dawg on August 26, 2019, 20:54:48 pmThanks nick I hope you are not cut and pasting! hehe.

Before I read it I do know that the change in the subsidies system was very difficult for them. And some committed suicide, I can not find the study though.

To quote-

"It's easy to look back at it and say this was a good decision and farming benefited, but to actually live through it was a very difficult experience," McTigue says.

However Nick, 1984 New Zealand farming is very different to UK farming today and New Zealnd export 90% of their food.

Nick for for me CAP can not carry on and is one of the up sides of brexit, sheep farming rapes the land and the farmers leave plastic all over it from the silage bales. George Mondiot has interesting thought on sheep farming and they are not good.

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/02/business/worldbusiness/02iht-farm.1.6953658.html

Thank you for the link.
I bloody hate lamb....stinks!

rufus the dawg

and the farmers voted for brexit in the understanding there would be deal.

Not take 40 years of hardship like the New Zealanders.

Nick

Does anybody think that BJ suspending Parliament is acceptable? i think there would be a huge uproar/marches etc.

rufus the dawg

Quote from: Nick on August 27, 2019, 11:02:00 amDoes anybody think that BJ suspending Parliament is acceptable? i think there would be a huge uproar/marches etc.
Totally unacceptable. Disgusting and shows how mad the CONservatives are. We live in a representative democracy not a dictatorship.