Brexit watch

Started by Nick, October 20, 2016, 18:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rufus the dawg and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

The Letter R

Quote from: döm on August 20, 2019, 11:15:47 amAny product that had tariffs imposed on it coming into the EU or UK could be imported from the UK to the EU or vice versa tariff free.  This would be unacceptable to every member nation of the WTO that had impacted products. Its not a sustainable situation.
Can't disagree with you on that point Dom but I am just stating what the WTO rules state and cover, overall they don't seem to have any overall power to impose sanctions themselves on anyone, they can only recommend.
From the dispute resolution section in the document I have it states - "a violating state may simply ignore the panels recommendations. In this case, the complaining State may be allowed to retaliate."
For instance whoever complained may decide to add extra tarffis or checks to products it was receiving from the state(s)it was complaining against. In the case of no Irish Boarder the complaint would need to be made against the EU and the UK I would have thought.
It is certainly a unique problem and if truth be told something that few people thought about prior to the referendum.

döm

Yes R I think that sums it up - half baked and half assed planning.  Not thought through

Who would have that T-N-M-S would be discussing the rules of trade between nations? The madness of brexit!
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

DavidL

Quote from: döm on August 20, 2019, 14:21:10 pmYes R I think that sums it up - half baked and half assed planning.  Not thought through

Who would have that T-N-M-S would be discussing the rules of trade between nations? The madness of brexit!
But to conclude that, for the sake of the border between Ireland and NI, the UK cannot extricate itself from the EU would also amount to madness, would it not?

döm

Quote from: DavidL on August 20, 2019, 14:47:43 pmBut to conclude that, for the sake of the border between Ireland and NI, the UK cannot extricate itself from the EU would also amount to madness, would it not?
Yes, absolutely - but trying to extricate itself from the EU is madness anyway!

The Letter R

https://www.cityam.com/business-must-come-together-to-reform-and-save-the-wto/

An interesting read here on the state of the WTO and if itself will exist much longer without some sort of reform.......

The Letter R

Quote from: DavidL on August 20, 2019, 14:47:43 pmBut to conclude that, for the sake of the border between Ireland and NI, the UK cannot extricate itself from the EU would also amount to madness, would it not?
I am sure there are ways to do it - it just depends on the wording and flexibility of those involved.
On the one hand Dom is correct - Brexiteers say we want to control our borders, the next minute they are saying we don't want an Irish Border, so how exactly are we controlling the border and stopping freedom of movement?
My guess is the back stop will get a makeover with a more timed ending and a new name so we all think with the smoke and mirrors the problem vanished when it just got re-labelled.
Generally I think legitimate goods can be tracked without a border with modern technology, the  Iranian Tanker we seized on the way to Syria is an example of that. However it is clearly not going to stop people bucking the system and how you would control the movement of people I am not sure. I would suspect ultimately NI may have to embrace some kind of quasi EU/UK ruling on some things which may not sit well with some people but Westminster will try and put a glossy spin on that.

DavidL

The EU have agreed to allow member states to apply reduced VAT on e-books to match that levied on printed books. Took two years.
Be good to get away from this nonsense.

rufus the dawg

Yes we were told in the referendum that joining the wild west of the WTO was a good thing....well Faridge did. We were also told we will have a deal which will be better than the one we already have.........We can have our cake and eat it.

I wonder what happened to Maria Antoinette.

döm

loved this tweet from @davidallengreen

"Those who so adamantly wanted to take control of our borders...

....appear to have no clue what to do with the one land border we do have.

Brexiters really are the dog that caught the car."

;D ;D

DavidL

Quote from: rufus the dawg on August 21, 2019, 11:22:29 amI wonder what happened to Maria Antoinette.
Not sure, you don't hear much about Marie's sister ;)

Nick

Classic quote from the Irish agricultural minister today..

" Prime Minister Johnson's hero is Winston Churchill and he seems to view himself as a modern day Churchill.

However, in the event of a no deal Brexit, the UK government's only Churchilian legacy will be -'never have so few done so much damage to so many"
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

rufus the dawg

Looks like the Germans and the French are asking for UK to put a plan forward.

DavidL have you found yours yet? 

The joke is that Boris Johnson keeps saying he wants to have closer ties to the French and Germans, which begs the question why are we leaving.

Macron and Merkel are playing the UK.

Slim says we have all the cards, which is another slogan by a leaver. What are these cards. The lack of detail says it all.

DavidL

Quote from: rufus the dawg on August 22, 2019, 20:12:48 pmMacron and Merkel are playing the UK.
I doubt if they've got time to play anything. Macron has the yellow vests to keep him occupied and Merkel is about to see Germany go into recession.

zoony

Quote from: rufus the dawg on August 22, 2019, 20:12:48 pmThe joke is that Boris Johnson keeps saying he wants to have closer ties to the French and Germans, which begs the question why are we leaving.

Because the majority voted for it.

rufus the dawg

August 22, 2019, 21:54:14 pm #3239 Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 22:54:48 pm by rufus the dawg Reason: Posted on a different platform and did not check.
Quote from: zoony on August 22, 2019, 21:44:45 pmBecause the majority voted for it.
.....he wants to be closer though.

I thought we voted to stay in the single market. That is what a CONservative MEP said would happen.

Absolutely nobody is talking about threatening our place in the Single Market

Daniel Hannan MEP

So I am expecting to stay in the single market. That is the will of the people.