Brexit watch

Started by Nick, October 20, 2016, 17:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rufus the dawg

Quote from: Slim on August 08, 2019, 22:43:14 pm. In reality, I rather think that the present government led by a Prime Minister prepared to fight our corner has grabbed back a lot of the cards from them.
Quote from: Slim on August 08, 2019, 22:46:06 pmand we'll come to a deal with them on terms that suit us.

And once reality dawns that we held firm and gave them the middle finger, they will come crawling on their knees for a trade deal on a trail of garlic slime.
....and there be Unicorns on the sunny uplands with pots of gold at the end of the rainbow. Look Slim there's one just behind you; on your bike and start chasing.

When you catch the rainbow let me know. 

BTW the EU are banning the trade of unicorn horn. Regulation 346542.252  45. From October 31 2019.

Slim

Hi Rufus - sorry to tell you this, but you aren't actually saying anything. If you could actually come up with a counter-argument with a bit of logic or rationale, that would look a bit less stupid.

Speaking of stupid - Caroline Lucas has had the brilliant idea of establishing an emergency cabinet composed solely of women.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49314840

She feels that women are a bit "less tribal", and yet I can't help noticing that the candidates she's hoping will join her in said cabinet - Emily Thornberry, Liberal Democrat leader Jo Swinson, Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon, Justine Greening, Heidi Allen, Kirsty Blackman, Yvette Cooper, Sylvia Hermon, Liz Saville Roberts and Anna Soubry - are all somehow from her own Remain tribe. Can this be a coincidence??

This is Caroline's idea of a "national unity government", apparently. That's right. On Caroline's planet, unity is best served by empowering an administration which excludes people who are male, or who didn't lose the referendum.

In other news - Caroline has called for a new referendum, but she has already literally, unambiguously said that she will only accept the result if she wins it.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=731150910676839

DavidL

US national security advisor John Bolton says the UK will be "first in line" when it comes to a trade deal with the US.
If that's true, Barack Obama lied to the people of the UK. I wonder why he'd do such a thing?

DavidL

Head of French channel ports, Jean-Marc Puissesseau dismissed fears of chaos at ports as "C'est la bull****!" ;D

rufus the dawg

This a very interesting web site with all euro myths debunked. The ones the Boris Johnson, Farridge, Express, Mail and Telegraph told us.

https://blogs.ec.europa.eu/ECintheUK/euromyths-a-z-index/

döm

Quote from: DavidL on August 13, 2019, 07:11:57 amUS national security advisor John Bolton says the UK will be "first in line" when it comes to a trade deal with the US.
If that's true, Barack Obama lied to the people of the UK. I wonder why he'd do such a thing?
I'm picturing Bolton dressed as Grandma.  Red Riding Hood is Boris Johnson.  I wonder who the hunter will be?
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

The Letter R

Quote from: DavidL on August 13, 2019, 07:11:57 amUS national security advisor John Bolton says the UK will be "first in line" when it comes to a trade deal with the US.
Wouldn't have thought their National Security Advisor was the person to be deciding this but still......also I wouldn't get too wet at the prospect of a trade deal with the US until we know the nuts and bolts of the deal - ie How much of our NHS do they want in exchange.....???

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: rufus the dawg on August 13, 2019, 09:12:08 amThis a very interesting web site with all euro myths debunked. The ones the Boris Johnson, Farridge, Express, Mail and Telegraph told us.

https://blogs.ec.europa.eu/ECintheUK/euromyths-a-z-index/
And if you read it, you'll find some of the "myths" were from the Grauniad.

A lot of these things arise from misinterpretation and semantics and the blog you link to is just a Euro propaganda mouthpiece in itself. Read through the entire thing and  find where the aforementioned blog is called to account for misinterpretation and claiming the D**ly M**l wrote things it didn't.

I won't post sources as they're easy enough to find - and I've only read as far as Bananas...
Legend in my own Mind

DavidL

Quote from: The Letter R on August 13, 2019, 12:39:38 pmWouldn't have thought their National Security Advisor was the person to be deciding this but still......also I wouldn't get too wet at the prospect of a trade deal with the US until we know the nuts and bolts of the deal - ie How much of our NHS do they want in exchange.....???
There was a caveat in my statement

Chris Quartly

Trade deals also take years if not decades to complete, doesn't matter if we're first in line or not!
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

Nick

Trump/Bolton can't action this as it has to go through Congress. If we reduce our import tariffs to 0% then what's the point of a free trade deal other than to enrich the USA as they pick us apart.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

DavidL

August 13, 2019, 19:37:19 pm #3146 Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 19:48:34 pm by DavidL Reason: Addition
Quote from: Chris Quartly on August 13, 2019, 15:01:00 pmTrade deals also take years if not decades to complete, doesn't matter if we're first in line or not!
Crucially, it didn't matter when we were assured we'd be last in line  ;D
Obviously the US administration should have sought your wise counsel prior to making any pronouncements on the subject!

Nick

By the way the USA "Berry amendment " prohibits any military sales to the USA with or without a free trade deal. That could range from a soldiers boot to a guided missile. I wonder what Liz Truss will be making a push on, marmalade and Twinings tea?

We all know what crap we are going to get from the USA.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

DavidL

Quote from: Nick on August 13, 2019, 20:43:28 pmWe all know what crap we are going to get from the USA.
I wouldn't mind some Krell amplifiers. VPI turntables are pretty decent too

döm

Quote from: DavidL on August 13, 2019, 19:37:19 pmCrucially, it didn't matter when we were assured we'd be last in line  ;D
Obviously the US administration should have sought your wise counsel prior to making any pronouncements on the subject!
Its one thing to be first in line  (and whether you believe anything coming out of that fake news administration
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!