• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.
July 16, 2019, 15:57:33 pm

Brexit watch

Started by Nick, October 20, 2016, 17:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidL

Quote from: döm on June 04, 2019, 18:55:14 pmThe EU must be at its wit's end trying to sort out Brexit. Dealing with a Government that decided to have an election and 2 leadership campaigns during the limited available time to agree a deal.

Added to that dealing with politicians who seem singularly incapable of listening or understanding and who seem to change every 5 minutes.

And the EU is deemed unreasonable! To the EU it must feel like its dealing with some unstable 3rd World country!  October 31st? In which decade!
Makes me smile to think they're at their wit's end. They might reflect on what they've done to bring that about!

döm

Quote from: DavidL on June 04, 2019, 19:39:31 pmMakes me smile to think they're at their wit's end. They might reflect on what they've done to bring that about!
Yes was probably a mistake to agree to UK's accesion in the first place. De Gaulle knew what he was talking about!
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

DavidL

Quote from: döm on June 04, 2019, 19:44:59 pmYes was probably a mistake to agree to UK's accesion in the first place. De Gaulle knew what he was talking about!
We're being reminded at the moment that he was extremely fortunate that we gave him a say in the matter.

döm

Quote from: DavidL on June 04, 2019, 19:56:04 pmWe're being reminded at the moment that he was extremely fortunate that we gave him a say in the matter.
Touche ! Yes The English Channel is a great blessing

Slim

Quote from: döm on June 04, 2019, 18:55:14 pmThe EU must be at its wit's end trying to sort out Brexit. Dealing with a Government that decided to have an election and 2 leadership campaigns during the limited available time to agree a deal.

I don't think they are trying to sort it out, and I think that whatever stress and misfortune that it's caused them has largely been of their own making.

They have done their best, while maintaining a pretence of cooperation, to collude with those trying to overturn the referendum result and to provoke us, ultimately, to revoke A50. That's what passes for partnership on Planet EU.

If they were trying to sort it out, they'd continue to negotiate. That's what you do until you have an agreement, isn't it? It must be clear to everyone that the current "deal" is not an agreement. The UK parliament has declined to agree to it in emphatic terms three times and the current Prime Minister was given her P45 for attempting desperate measures to push it through one last time.

The Letter R

I know you dislike the EU James but why should they be trying to sort anything out or re-negotiating with us?
The UK decided to leave then go to negotiations without really knowing what they wanted ( apart from the Unicorn deal which as never going to happpen ).
As far as the EU are concerned the deal has been done and it is up to the UK to agree it through Parliament or whatever means is legally required.
If we want to rip up that deal then it is up to the UK to put forward a solid viable alternative - something none of our Politicians actually seem capable of, and then ask the EU to re-consider.
Your anger or dislike should be towards the Political elite of this Country who for the last 3 years have been trying to feather their own nests and play stupid Political games rather than actually do the job they were elected for.

Slim

Quote from: The Letter R on June 06, 2019, 12:32:19 pmI know you dislike the EU James but why should they be trying to sort anything out or re-negotiating with us?

Because a deal on trade and co-operation in other matters is in their interests, which of course is the reason they negotiated in the first place. It's pointless to say that a deal has been done when it is manifestly unacceptable to one side. A failure to reach an agreement is a failure of both sides.

QuoteYour anger or dislike should be towards the Political elite of this Country who for the last 3 years have been trying to feather their own nests and play stupid Political games rather than actually do the job they were elected for.

I absolutely do have a special loathing for the likes of Grieve, Cooper, Benn, Starmer and the rest, more so than our enemies at the EU, I assure you.

döm

Fascinating poll showing that Tory members think that destroying their own party and the UK breaking up is a price worth paying for Brexit.  Not Corbyn being pm though.  Bizarre!!

DavidL

An article by Leo Mckinstry today speculated that the key to the Brexit impasse is for the Tories to call an election and have a pact with the Brexit Party. I think he's right. A workable Commons majority for a meaningful Brexit and Corbyn's Labour roundly seen off.
Obviously only likely if Boris becomes leader.

DavidL

döm

The UK signs a trade continuity deal with Norway and Iceland while the EU signs a trade deal with Mercosur - South America basically.

Evidence of the diminshment of the UK post brexit

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: döm on June 29, 2019, 10:16:38 amThe UK signs a trade continuity deal with Norway and Iceland while the EU signs a trade deal with Mercosur - South America basically.

Evidence of the diminshment of the UK post brexit
Why?

Greenpeace label the Mercosur - only four South American countries, the almost third world if you will - an environmental disaster.

Iceland and Norway are like us, pure, noble, warrior stock, unafraid to stand up for themselves :)
Legend in my own Mind

Nick

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on June 29, 2019, 11:46:50 amonly four South American countries,

285 million South Americans vs 5.5 million Norsemen.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: Nick on June 29, 2019, 13:37:36 pm285 million South Americans vs 5.5 million Norsemen.
I know who I'd rather have on my side.

1 Wiking is worth every male Argie!
Legend in my own Mind

zoony

Quote from: Nick on June 29, 2019, 13:37:36 pm285 million South Americans vs 5.5 million Norsemen.
Of which about 90% are natives in the jungle!