Author Topic: Brexit watch  (Read 42668 times)

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
Re: Brexit watch
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2016, 22:33:21 PM »

Boris didn't seem to be saying that on the 26th June in the Telegraph

That was three days after the referendum, so influenced no-one's vote - and in any case Boris refers there to "access to the single market", not membership of it. The point is that those of us who voted to leave the EU did so with a high degree of confidence that the UK would leave the single market, as I fervently hope.

NeilP

• TNMS Member
  • here comes the sun....
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2016, 22:52:52 PM »
Well I'm a paid up member of the Gloominati and struggle to see any meaningful strategy, still convinced there'll be a GE next year post triggering of Article 50.

NeilP

• TNMS Member
  • here comes the sun....
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2016, 23:58:41 PM »
From a friend in the city... the French government are apparently offering London-based French bankers 8 years tax free if they return to Paris. This could get messy.

NeilP

• TNMS Member
  • here comes the sun....

DavidL

• TNMS Member
  • Music by Lee and Lifeson, Lyrics by Peart
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2016, 10:09:32 AM »
From a friend in the city... the French government are apparently offering London-based French bankers 8 years tax free if they return to Paris. This could get messy.
Treachery from the French government? Quelle surprise. They're insanely jealous of Great Britain.
Preferential tax rates for bankers? I'd fully expect the farmers to try and burn La Defense to the ground - it could get messy  ;)

NeilP

• TNMS Member
  • here comes the sun....
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2016, 10:31:30 AM »
Well the PM did predict such things might happen before the Referendum when she spoke at Goldman Sachs ::)

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2016, 19:30:26 PM »
A No 10 spokesman said: “Britain made a clear choice to vote to leave the EU and this government is determined to make a success of the fresh opportunities it presents."

And yet they haven't actually told us of a single real opportunity that Brexit presents.

Unless you count the 'opportunity' to negotiate trade agreements with countries where we already have preferential trade status or most preferred nation trade status and the only way they can be negotiated is backwards from what we already have.

Plus todays leaked tape of Teresa May's real thoughts.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/25/exclusive-leaked-recording-shows-what-theresa-may-really-thinks-about-brexit

Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2016, 19:46:36 PM »
Some poor automotive results hit by the weak pound and likely to push car prices up in the UK.

https://www.ft.com/content/24bfb2ee-9b56-11e6-8f9b-70e3cabccfae
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2016, 22:03:38 PM »
Vauxhall (GM ) also claiming that the fall in the pound has cost the company 400 million and redundancies may be on the cards.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2016, 23:34:17 PM »
And yet when Sterling is at high levels they don't come up with: We're making more money and setting people on.
Maybe people have finally twigged that Vauxhall make shit cars?

So much negativity from people, if Brexit is that bad, how come all the economic migrants posing as wannabe school kids are still clamouring to get here? Get 'em building the new runway at Heathrow and bury cry-baby Zac in the foundations :)
Legend in my own Mind

NeilP

• TNMS Member
  • here comes the sun....
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2016, 00:17:44 AM »
most of the refugees/migrants want to go Germany and Sweden, not here

Moving Target

• TNMS Member
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2016, 09:37:57 AM »
And yet when Sterling is at high levels they don't come up with: We're making more money and setting people on.
Maybe people have finally twigged that Vauxhall make shit cars?

So much negativity from people, if Brexit is that bad, how come all the economic migrants posing as wannabe school kids are still clamouring to get here? Get 'em building the new runway at Heathrow and bury cry-baby Zac in the foundations :)

Ah yes.  The Richmond Park by-election will be interesting.  Goldsmith is not going to be opposed by the Tories - I guess they know they have his vote most of the time as an Independent - but I reckon the Lib Dems could steam in there.  Lots of Bremainers in Richmond could take this opportunity to protest against the Government line. 

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2016, 09:47:28 AM »

How much is that to do with the likes of Merkel et al throwing out an open invite? 
HYFTOUR30

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2016, 09:56:53 AM »
But Brexit was supposed to put the pesky blighters off! That's why the great unwashed voted for it...

GDP growth better than expected post Brexit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37786467

If any Bremoaners tell you that the UK has slipped a place in the World Economy list, it hasn't, even the BBC are reporting that it hasn't: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37763913
Legend in my own Mind

Moving Target

• TNMS Member
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2016, 10:01:53 AM »

If any Bremoaners tell you that the UK has slipped a place in the World Economy list, it hasn't, even the BBC are reporting that it hasn't: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37763913

Yeah, I thought that pronouncement was premature.  I don't trust a word out of Corbyn's mouth anyway.