Brexit watch

Started by Nick, October 20, 2016, 17:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

döm

Quote from: Chris Quartly on January 18, 2019, 16:10:20 pm
This seems pretty fair as usual http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2019/01/18/week-in-review-a-circular-firing-squad-of-stupidity

Just read that now and my post above serves as a very poor summary of that article - Ian Dunt is excellent on this issue and I'm just reading his book at the moment.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

döm

Bisto

No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Nick

Brexit today:
-5k civil servants to move into emergency command centre
-EU says No-Deal move would mean hard Irish border
-Sony moves European HQ to Holland
-And James Dyson - Brexiter - moves his company to Singapore.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

döm

Brittany Ferries have told 10,000 customers travelling between the end of March and Mid May that their crossings have been cancelled due to  Government initiative to create additional ferry capacity for the transportation of critical goods.

No deal just keeps getting better.  Probably just scaremongering

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: Nick on January 22, 2019, 17:56:13 pm

Company Head Office. Two people are moving from the UK. Oh, how the earth is shattered. Please read articles carefully if you want to use them to support your argument thank you very much.

Remember kiddies, it's a Global economy - that includes you as well Trumpy Boy - don't get so hung up on the festering corpse of the inwards looking EU project.
Legend in my own Mind

Nick

"Dyson's announcement comes shortly after Singapore and the EU agreed a landmark free trade agreement. Singapore's prime minister, Lee Hsien Loong, said the deal, signed in October, was: "an ambitious trade deal, it is a high-quality arrangement, and it is one which will fly the flag and encourage others, I hope, to do the same."
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Nïckslïkk2112

January 22, 2019, 22:00:50 pm #2618 Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 22:02:49 pm by Nïckslïkk2112
Quote from: Nick on January 22, 2019, 20:32:57 pm
"Dyson's announcement comes shortly after Singapore and the EU agreed a landmark free trade agreement. Singapore's prime minister, Lee Hsien Loong, said the deal, signed in October, was: "an ambitious trade deal, it is a high-quality arrangement, and it is one which will fly the flag and encourage others, I hope, to do the same."

And where had Dyson already moved most manufacturing to before then?
Where are Dyson's growth markets?
Where are Dyson's supply chains?

If you want to make two plus two equal five to support your argument then so be it.

Next up you'll be saying that Patisserie Valerie has gone under, because it's been besieged by hordes of rampant Brexiteers annoyed by its foreign sounding name...

All I know is, is that whether we are in the EU or not, the Singaporeans are very interested in my new venture supplying super-whippy canes with embedded flints :)
Legend in my own Mind

The Letter R

Quote from: Nick on January 22, 2019, 17:56:13 pm
Brexit today:
-5k civil servants to move into emergency command centre
-EU says No-Deal move would mean hard Irish border
-Sony moves European HQ to Holland

Just to put things in perspective the Sony move is CE European Head Office Only - for the record it has been in Holland before then Berlin, currently Weybridge and back to Holland 29 March where an office has been for years. It is in Company name only - NO jobs are going from the UK or sites closing - some of the press reports have been very inaccurate of their reporting and clearly not read the press release.....

DavidL

Quote from: The Letter R on January 23, 2019, 08:26:20 am

Just to put things in perspective the Sony move is CE European Head Office Only - for the record it has been in Holland before then Berlin, currently Weybridge and back to Holland 29 March where an office has been for years. It is in Company name only - NO jobs are going from the UK or sites closing - some of the press reports have been very inaccurate of their reporting and clearly not read the press release.....
Thanks for providing accuracy there.
Meanwhile...record numbers in work, strongest wage growth in ages and £30m of German investment for BAE armoured vehicle manufacturing.
We've still got a terrible government though, unfortunately

Chris Quartly

This is how about 175 pages of this thread have gone:

One person says something bad will happen and the reply will be "but we haven't left yet", yet the "but we haven't left yet" caveat is omitted for positive information about how things currently are.
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: Chris Quartly on January 23, 2019, 17:01:31 pm

One person says something bad will happen and the reply will be "but we haven't left yet", yet the "but we haven't left yet" caveat is omitted for positive information about how things currently are.

That's because this is the five minute Brexit Argument, not the full half hour :)
Legend in my own Mind

DavidL

It is "not automatic" that interest rates will rise, fall, or stay unchanged if Britain crashes out of Europe without a deal, according to the governor of the Bank of England.
  ::)
He should definitely have learned to keep his mouth shut by now  ;D

rufus the dawg

January 24, 2019, 14:05:22 pm #2624 Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 14:07:43 pm by rufus the dawg
Quote from: Chris Quartly on January 23, 2019, 17:01:31 pm

This is done in a complete rush (no pun intended) so sorry about English mistakes. Remember I want to stay in the EU because leavers have not come up with a good reasons to leave. Persuade me guys.

Chris I did write a 2000 word post a couple of pages back!

But it reflects the brexit conversation in this country and with most MPs. All heat and no light with most people not wanting to listen to or except other peoples views. But also it seems voters do not seem to want go behind the contrived sound bite lies of both sides of the argument.

What does bring back sovereignty mean? Why will that change anything?
What does going on to WTO actually mean?
What does No deal mean?
What rules do we not like that the EU have made.....name one?
Which EU rules do we like?
The EU is failing....is it? 
Germany is going in to recession so we need to leave the EU, do we? USA and china are also going in to recession!
Nafta and ceta WTO all have problems why are they better?
Who are these unelected bureaucrats? We have them too!
What is the will of the people? when one person voted for Norway and another no deal. They were not explained properly during the referendum. 
Do you know that most immigration come from countries outside the EU
To change the rules of the EU we have to part of it.

It goes on and on and on.

Leavers will not accept
1. Gove, Hannan Johnson, Farage all lied even though the facts are put in front of them.
2. The Daily Mail et all influenced the referendum.
3. We will be a rule taker after we leave the EU.  All countries are rule takers to some extent.
4. They do not know what WTO rules means even though they think it is Heaven to them.
5. Companies are moving their head quarters to the rest of the world.
6. Russians have been involved in the referendum even though this is proven.
7. The loss of 500m a week to the country.
8. We have employed more civil servants (unelected bureaucrats) than the whole of the EU have since June 2016.
9. That when we leave the ECJ we will have to abide by another arbitration Systems. WTO's or Nafta, or Ceta's and take their rules with out any say. so have no sovereignty
10. That UK governments have been blaming the EU for issues that have nothing to do with the EU. 
11. That people change their minds and that you can not have a democratic society based on lies.
12. No companies are coming to the UK because of the brexit.

Seems to me 

Leavers beleave in 
1. Corruption
2. Sovereignty even though we already have it   
3. shouting people down with scaremongering when they don't have answers.
4. #whataboutery
5. no plans

Sorry guys that is my view.

but hey Chris maybe you can lead the way and enlighten us all.

Since last week not so bothered. It can crash and burn for all I care.