Author Topic: Brexit watch  (Read 61390 times)

rufus the dawg and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

DavidL

• TNMS Member
  • Music by Lee and Lifeson, Lyrics by Peart
Re: Brexit watch
« Reply #2520 on: January 04, 2019, 07:12:12 AM »
This is rather amusing. JRM skewering Verhofstadt on the EU's ridiculous position on a hard border in Ireland:

https://youtu.be/I4w7W-rduZ8

The Letter R

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • If you want something done right...just forget it.
« Reply #2521 on: January 04, 2019, 08:16:53 AM »
There's a rather nice irony there - in that the claim that the Leave campaign warned that "80 million Turks" might come to the UK is itself a Remainer lie. One of Vince Cable's, if I remember correctly - yep, just Googled it:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-vince-cable-vote-leave-turks-live-village-80-million-liberal-democrat-leader-church-halls-a7835891.html

As a matter of fact, what Vince actually wanted you to believe was that people voted to leave the EU to prevent 80 million Turks coming to their village, bless him.

Although Vince took it to a stupid level of Village Invasion the link you posted puts into context what drove his statement at that meeting and you can't claim dear old Vince was behind The Sunday Express Article and statements made by Farage on the subject.....so not a remainer lie at all - simply more PR BS spat out by the Rexiteers and their own Project Fear Campaign.

https://www.indy100.com/article/right-wing-headlines-about-turkish-immigration-look-suspiciously-like-right-wing-headlines-about-romanian-immigration--b1PC1UDbXb

https://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2016/jun/20/sunday-express-admits-12m-turks-coming-to-uk-story-was-inaccurate

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2522 on: January 04, 2019, 08:32:58 AM »
It was a part of the leave campaign. And just as with the 350 million to the NHS, leave groups admitted t was a lie....

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jul/16/michael-gove-admits-leave-was-wrong-to-fuel-immigration-fears
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2523 on: January 04, 2019, 14:13:48 PM »
It was a part of the leave campaign. And just as with the 350 million to the NHS, leave groups admitted t was a lie....

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jul/16/michael-gove-admits-leave-was-wrong-to-fuel-immigration-fears
Lies? Sure Gove and others have regrets about how the war was won, as do all victorious campaigns. Not a lie to state that if Turkey joined, the population of Turkey would have the right to enter the UK. Same with the £350m, it was a gross figure. Misleading? Yes, not sure it was a lie though.
I'm also certain that there are as many regrets on the Remain side about their own propaganda that were 'lies', including an emergency budget, wide-scale job losses and collapse of house prices.

Sometimes winning is a dirty job. Both sides played dirty...........and Leave won.

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2524 on: January 04, 2019, 14:20:39 PM »
According to The Henry Jackson Society, the UK is still a global power second only to the US.
"Brexit has had no discernible impact on the UK's fundamental ability to apply itself around the world"

The Letter R

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • If you want something done right...just forget it.
« Reply #2525 on: January 04, 2019, 15:58:00 PM »
According to The Henry Jackson Society, the UK is still a global power second only to the US.
"Brexit has had no discernible impact on the UK's fundamental ability to apply itself around the world"

I thought (b)Rexiteers didn't listen to "Experts" ? ;) ....although I have to say we haven't been a global power second only to the US for some time - in fact the real Global Power at the moment is China - hell even Apple blame them for a dip in sales.......and they just landed on the far side of the moon as well as buying up all the Ore Mines in Africa and bailing out the US Economy. The UK are well off the pace but the HJS are rather right leaning so they would obviously argue otherwise.

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2526 on: January 04, 2019, 17:44:18 PM »
Lies? Sure Gove and others have regrets about how the war was won, as do all victorious campaigns. Not a lie to state that if Turkey joined, the population of Turkey would have the right to enter the UK. Same with the £350m, it was a gross figure. Misleading? Yes, not sure it was a lie though.
I'm also certain that there are as many regrets on the Remain side about their own propaganda that were 'lies', including an emergency budget, wide-scale job losses and collapse of house prices.

Sometimes winning is a dirty job. Both sides played dirty...........and Leave won.

Yes Lies; maps with arrows indicating hoards of people coming from Turkey and beyond was a lie.

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2527 on: January 04, 2019, 18:11:44 PM »
This is rather amusing. JRM skewering Verhofstadt on the EU's ridiculous position on a hard border in Ireland:

https://youtu.be/I4w7W-rduZ8

Score draw I thought. Take it to the ECJ Jacob if you think the EU is acting unfairly towads the UK in respect of Northern Ireland.

Disingenuous from JRM too. I thought the UK was leaving the EU to protect znd control its borders.

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2528 on: January 04, 2019, 19:16:01 PM »

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2529 on: January 04, 2019, 21:24:29 PM »
An Irishman, Scotsman  and Englishman walked into a pub.

The Englishman wanted to go so they all had to leave.

Saw that on Twitter and had to share!

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2530 on: January 04, 2019, 23:22:41 PM »
An Irishman, Scotsman  and Englishman walked into a pub.

The Englishman wanted to go so they all had to leave.

Because the Englishman always had to buy the drinks

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2531 on: January 04, 2019, 23:29:16 PM »
Because the Englishman always had to buy the drinks

With the money he stole from the Scotsman !!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 00:15:55 AM by döm »

rufus the dawg

• TNMS Member
  • i stihl love rush?
« Reply #2532 on: January 05, 2019, 10:41:41 AM »

Yes all lies.

It is more like £220 million gross or 1.5% of the UK's annual budget, Turkey were/are not part of the EU, so complete lies

You are supporting corruption when you support the referendum result.

Brexit was brought about sophistry and mythomania.

Here is a bonkers statement "By the way my best friend Lerxst went flying in early 70s, we stopped off on the moon and wrote Dark side of the Moon." Prove that I did not.

The argument that Remain lied just doubles the reason for another referendum

But I will say it again.

£72.5 Billion credit cards debt in UK.
£500 Million loss to the economy every week.
£70-100 Billion of quantitative easing since the referendum.
£2 Billion Cost of brexit preparation by Whitehall
Pound fell off a cliff
Civil service has grown by 3% all on £50,000 -£150,000 a year
House price growth has slowed or dropping in many parts of the country.

When will the facts make you think it is not worth it? You have been lied to.

Brexit is the result 40 years of Sophistry and Mythomania by the right press and a very small faction of nasty party.

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #2533 on: January 05, 2019, 11:47:21 AM »
Civil service has grown by 3% all on £50,000 -£150,000 a year
House price growth has slowed or dropping in many parts of the country.

The problem with these being...?

Would have thought, for instance, wages and the housing market tending toward each other is a good thing. 
The keys to happiness

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2534 on: January 05, 2019, 13:03:15 PM »

Yes all lies.

Turkey were/are not part of the EU, so complete lies

Please read my post properly