Author Topic: Brexit watch  (Read 55901 times)

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
Re: Brexit watch
« Reply #1920 on: September 21, 2018, 12:37:06 PM »

Any comment on Farage and his fish yet? I guess if I missed 40 meetings I would be sacked.
So long and thanks for no fish :)
I guess if he missed 40 meetings and wasn't sacked then his Superiors aren't up to much either - typical of the EU really. Being as Farage was head honcho of UKIP, wasn't he doing his bit for his party by not turning up?

Can't wait until we're a member of the failed states club, along with Australia, New Zealand, Canadia [sic] ect. [sic] ect. [sic]
Legend in my own Mind

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
« Reply #1921 on: September 21, 2018, 13:03:58 PM »
Dutch press view

Sheila Sitalsing in the Dutch newspaper De Volkskrant said May had “stormed the European continent like a Don Quixote”, Chequers plan and Brexit conditions under her arm: Britain wanted to “keep playing footie and snacking at the canteen, without paying any subs, wearing the club strip or doing bar duty”.

The EU27 had “sent her packing in Salzburg”, Sitalsing said, where May had “desperately sought to win sympathy for a Brexit that would not send her population straight back to the Middle Ages”.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1922 on: September 21, 2018, 14:02:05 PM »
So the Dutch press is as Hyperbolic as the British Press then.

The EU is just a protectionist bloc and doesn't even adhere to its own treaties as it is manifestly ignoring Article 8 of the Lisbon treaty.

What is the end goal of the EU?
What timescale do they have for it?
Will the peoples of the EU get a say in how it is run?
Is a Federal EU the desired end product?
How does a Federal EU or even the state of the EU now square with a stated EU aim of bringing democracy to the people?

Until firm answers are given to all these - and more - questions. Nobody is in any position to decide whether remain or leave is the correct option.
Legend in my own Mind

DavidL

• TNMS Member
  • Music by Lee and Lifeson, Lyrics by Peart
« Reply #1923 on: September 21, 2018, 14:49:11 PM »
So the Dutch press is as Hyperbolic as the British Press then.

The EU is just a protectionist bloc and doesn't even adhere to its own treaties as it is manifestly ignoring Article 8 of the Lisbon treaty.

What is the end goal of the EU?
What timescale do they have for it?
Will the peoples of the EU get a say in how it is run?
Is a Federal EU the desired end product?
How does a Federal EU or even the state of the EU now square with a stated EU aim of bringing democracy to the people?

Until firm answers are given to all these - and more - questions. Nobody is in any position to decide whether remain or leave is the correct option.
Salient and mostly overlooked quesions

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1924 on: September 21, 2018, 14:53:43 PM »
Dutch press view

Sheila Sitalsing in the Dutch newspaper De Volkskrant said May had “stormed the European continent like a Don Quixote”, Chequers plan and Brexit conditions under her arm: Britain wanted to “keep playing footie and snacking at the canteen, without paying any subs, wearing the club strip or doing bar duty”.

The EU27 had “sent her packing in Salzburg”, Sitalsing said, where May had “desperately sought to win sympathy for a Brexit that would not send her population straight back to the Middle Ages”.
Sounds like she wrote that piece in a 'coffee shop'   ;D

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
« Reply #1925 on: September 21, 2018, 15:29:47 PM »
Pound tanks..I think TM is on the verge of insanity now. The Chequers deal was a non starter from the beginning, cherry picking, why is she sill pushing it? We are leaving Europe why ask Europe to come up with the solutions?

Spinal tap - Sh*t sandwich

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1926 on: September 21, 2018, 17:06:00 PM »
Pound tanks..I think TM is on the verge of insanity now. The Chequers deal was a non starter from the beginning, cherry picking, why is she sill pushing it? We are leaving Europe why ask Europe to come up with the solutions?

Spinal tap - Sh*t sandwich
Because they need to earn that £39bn

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
« Reply #1927 on: September 21, 2018, 17:28:24 PM »
I'd forgotten we have to hand that over as well, truly truly this mess is quite an accomplishment in self destruction.

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1928 on: September 21, 2018, 20:55:34 PM »
I'd forgotten we have to hand that over as well, truly truly this mess is quite an accomplishment in self destruction.
Calm down dear, it's only a Brexit :)
Legend in my own Mind

Bisto

• TNMS Member
  • Meh!
« Reply #1929 on: September 22, 2018, 19:24:17 PM »
Turkeys voting for Christmas
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

rufus the dawg

• TNMS Member
  • i stihl love rush?
« Reply #1930 on: September 23, 2018, 10:40:38 AM »
So long and thanks for no fish :)
I guess if he missed 40 meetings and wasn't sacked then his Superiors aren't up to much either - typical of the EU really. Being as Farage was head honcho of UKIP, wasn't he doing his bit for his party by not turning up?

It is up to us to sack him, in the EU elections. Remember those? Because the EU is a democratic institution.  The EU have levied plenty of fines against UKIP/him. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jan/12/nigel-farage-eu-salary-docked-claim-misspent-public-funds

So you are saying that because he his part of UKIP he does not have to turn up meetings, then you are are also complaining that the UK does not have any fishing rights in the EU waters. WOW good honest joined up thinking. So I guess you will be cheering Farage in his hypocrisy when he dumped fish in to the Thames. :-\

It good to hear from someone who argues Pantone C is white and the world is flat.  8)

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
« Reply #1931 on: September 23, 2018, 12:26:03 PM »
Looks like the ante is about to be raised if labour do back a new referendum/people’s vote in line with their members wishes.

How many Remainers would take the view that staying in the EU would be less damaging than a change of political alligience?

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1932 on: September 23, 2018, 13:27:54 PM »

It is up to us to sack him, in the EU elections. Remember those? Because the EU is a democratic institution.  The EU have levied plenty of fines against UKIP/him. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jan/12/nigel-farage-eu-salary-docked-claim-misspent-public-funds
I think you'll find the EU is NOT a democratic institution, yet paradoxically it also has a democratic surplus. We get no choice in the head honchos of the EU, yet vote for a EU Parliament which acts solely as a rubber stamp for the aforesaid head honchos.
And because the EU elections here are held on a PR basis we can't even say that people directly voted for Farage (Rhymes with Garridge where you keep cars

[quoute]So you are saying that because he his part of UKIP he does not have to turn up meetings, [/quoe]
Yes, because he would be being hypocritical :)

then you are are also complaining that the UK does not have any fishing rights in the EU waters.
It seems that we don't have true rights in EU waters, in that we cannot catch what we want where we want. Hardly a common fisheries policy.
WOW good honest joined up thinking.
Better than yours. You're the one who keeps banging on about the Brexit referendum only being advisory, in which case why are we even in the EU as the referendum on joining was purely advisory.
So I guess you will be cheering Farage in his hypocrisy when he dumped fish in to the Thames. :-\
Why not, it's all good for a laugh

It good to hear from someone who argues Pantone C is white and the world is flat.  8)
Whilst I spend my life being a devil's advocate, at no point in my life have I argued that the world is flat. You will be hearing from my lawyers, Messrs Sioux, Grabbit and Runne, you defamatory swine you >:(
Legend in my own Mind

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1933 on: September 23, 2018, 13:30:30 PM »
Turkeys voting for Christmas
Don't think so, it's a majority Islamic country :)

Although being the country of St. Nicholas' birth may sway things...
Legend in my own Mind

rufus the dawg

• TNMS Member
  • i stihl love rush?
« Reply #1934 on: September 23, 2018, 19:10:54 PM »
I think you'll find the EU is NOT a democratic institution, yet paradoxically it also has a democratic surplus. We get no choice in the head honchos of the EU, yet vote for a EU Parliament which acts solely as a rubber stamp for the aforesaid head honchos. And because the EU elections here are held on a PR basis we can't even say that people directly voted for Farage (Rhymes with Garridge where you keep cars

We do not get a chance to vote for who is the PM, or Foreign Minister. Yet May and sacked twice Johnson disgraced Fox get the Jobs. Yes I agree with you though it is not ideal.

Yes, because he would be being hypocritical :)

He is hypocritical because he could have tried to and change the policy and did not.
:o not.

It seems that we don't have true rights in EU waters, in that we cannot catch what we want where we want.

We sell our rights to EU fishing fleets.

Hardly a common fisheries policy.Better than yours. You're the one who keeps banging on about the Brexit referendum only being advisory, in which case why are we even in the EU as the referendum on joining was purely advisory.Why not, it's all good for a laugh

As you said in a previous post it was taken as advisory but treated as not. Just like the £350 million was meant to be a way we could spend the money; but taken as policy of the brexit side. Things are hijacked and given other meaning. Yes it shows the democratic processes in this country are poor. We have a winner take it all model. I agree with you nick. I take your point.

Whilst I spend my life being a devil's advocate, at no point in my life have I argued that the world is flat. You will be hearing from my lawyers, Messrs Sioux, Grabbit and Runne, you defamatory swine you >:(

Yes I know it was meant to be a metaphor
IF your are using Sioux, Grabbit and Runne I had better apologise straight away........Sorry Nicko slick 2112 I love you. Sometimes, maybe, I think, not sure. I will publish the apology in "Steam Engines 1850 to 1950" page 35 half way down the page. It will be a a small two line comment, I will pass it on to SGR do you have a contact there?

read this though nick, very interesting indeed!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_Is_Flat

8)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 20:56:09 PM by rufus the dawg »