Author Topic: Brexit watch  (Read 36397 times)

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
Re: Brexit watch
« Reply #1470 on: November 23, 2017, 22:24:14 PM »
Of course it does.  If you're entering a trade deal with a little over 500 million consumers, the country you're dealing with will be much more willing to make concessions than if you're there with a little more than a tenth of that.

Ah, so you were only talking about international trade. The point you're missing here is that you won't even be able to expect those concessions unless 20-odd other countries also want them. Nor will you be able to offer concessions on trade unless they happen to suit the other countries.

You'll recall I'm sure that a year ago, the EU was unable to sign an agreement with Canada because a couple of regional parliaments in Belgium weren't up for it. Where was our wonderful influence then? Powerless to come to an agreement over the way we trade with Canada because a relatively small number of Belgians wouldn't wear it.

So the reality of course is that membership of the EU has undoubtedly diluted our influence on the world stage, and diminished it.

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1471 on: November 23, 2017, 22:25:42 PM »
HA!  David Davis tells the EU not to put Politics above prosperity.

That has been the UK Government approach to Brexit in a nutshell !

Pot...Kettle...Black!!

How so? The people voted to leave the EU. The government, or at least its most senior figures, advised them not to.

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1472 on: November 23, 2017, 22:26:59 PM »

Undoubtedly, there were people who voted to leave based on those factors listed.

Ah, that's a critically different point. Even so, I doubt you'll be able to tell us how many. Or even name a handful of them. Say five? What have you got?

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1473 on: November 23, 2017, 22:34:11 PM »
The European Banking Agency is officially moving out of the UK to Paris and the European Medical Agency to Amsterdam.
Thanks Brexit, that'll do the UKs global reputation for banking and medicinal research the world of good eh?
Still, it's what the people deliberately voted for in the referendum right? And the Government have a duty to destroy our economic future because of an advisory referendum right? It's not as if one of the first duties of Parliament is to protect our economy and our livelihoods is it?
Brexiteers absolutely KNEW this would happen. Right? And it's all good because we've taken back control right? OF WHAT? We are giving away more and more control of our country every single month since gullible fools believed the pack of lies that they were told by the Leave EU campaigns! Farage!!!! The one that takes money regularly from Russian state television told you that we'd get back control.

Ah - so from the EBA going to Paris to the destruction of our economic future, in the next sentence without a word of justification or rationale.  Sorry, this is classic remoaner hyperbole.

As already observed and pointed out, the Remain campaign was considerably more dishonest - and that fact gives me a degree of consolation that so many British people were suckered by it.

I grant you a substantial minority of the public sincerely did know what they were voting for and wanted nothing more than to spend the rest of their lives on their knees, heads bowed in cowed and humble servility while a foreigner gives them their orders. But we will stop them getting their own way for their own sakes, as well as ours.

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1474 on: November 23, 2017, 22:42:53 PM »
Uh..why are you surprised at this?

My view is that we have closer, and historically greater ties with the EU than Turkey or Iceland.

This is a simple act of spite, but at least it underlines why these clowns were never fit to call themselves partners of the United Kingdom.

Personally I don't think there's anything to take pride in, in living in a "culture capital" of the EU. My only regret is that anyone here gives a toss.

DavidL

• TNMS Member
  • Music by Lee and Lifeson, Lyrics by Peart
« Reply #1475 on: November 24, 2017, 07:18:18 AM »
My view is that we have closer, and historically greater ties with the EU than Turkey or Iceland.

This is a simple act of spite, but at least it underlines why these clowns were never fit to call themselves partners of the United Kingdom.

Personally I don't think there's anything to take pride in, in living in a "culture capital" of the EU. My only regret is that anyone here gives a toss.
Well said. On your last point, I am completely ambivalent about the actual awarding of such an arbitrary honour although it clearly produces some economic benefit for the city. Those UK cities were taking part in good faith, that such an honour would reward their considerable investment. Having said that it seems ridiculous that taxpayers' money is spent in this way in what amounts to a lottery. Obviously the whole thing is another exercise that allows a bunch of unelected non-entities to puff-out their chests and celebrate their existence and now, a wonderful way in which they can punish the UK for its democratic decision to leave their club - cretins.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 17:19:42 PM by DavidL »

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1476 on: November 24, 2017, 14:42:01 PM »
I agree the European City of Culture thing does leave a bad taste.  The cities in question entered in good faith and have prepared their bids so should be allowed to compete.

Re CETA.  These deals do take longer due to democratic process but they will get there and when they are signed into law the fact that the entire EU is behind it means the benefit is much better than one country going on its own.  We'll see the proof of that in years to come I've no doubt.

Who voted for what I don't know what numbers but to get some sort of an idea, just check twitter.

Choosing to go for a 100% brexit, no single market, no customs union is proof positive that the government has chosen to put politics above prosperity.

And as to your point to Nick about servitude etc etc,  that will not change with leaving the EU.  MNCS and major World powers will dictate what the UK can and can't do.  In fact the sway from these forces is lessened as a member of the EU.  Look at the work it has done in controlling the major tech firms and telcos in recent years.  Consumers are better off in the EU for protection from such forces.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #1477 on: November 24, 2017, 19:26:42 PM »
I agree the European City of Culture thing does leave a bad taste.  The cities in question entered in good faith and have prepared their bids so should be allowed to compete.
Being as cities from such good EU countries as Iceland, Norway and err, Turkey have been European cities of culture, it does give off a whiff of hypocrisy.
Legend in my own Mind

Richard_2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1478 on: December 04, 2017, 21:57:43 PM »
I notice all our Brexit advocates have suddenly gone very quiet now the negotiations have started to go to shit...
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines.

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1479 on: December 05, 2017, 00:26:12 AM »
I notice all our Brexit advocates have suddenly gone very quiet now the negotiations have started to go to shit...
It's actually going rather well from my point of view. No deal is the best deal

Oh yeah..........

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/uk-manufacturing-output-rise-orders-30-years-cbi-survey-industry-exports-british-goods-products-a8067906.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42213942

Not forgetting the encouraging news that net migration has fallen by 106,000 in the last 12 months easing the burden on our creaking infrastructure and public services.

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1480 on: December 05, 2017, 11:22:08 AM »
The UK is making such a mess of this.  On the EU side you have 27 countries all with a unified voice, meanwhile the other side of the table is the complete opposite.  Disunited Kingdom is closer to the point

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1481 on: December 05, 2017, 13:20:37 PM »
The UK is making such a mess of this.  On the EU side you have 27 countries all with a unified voice, meanwhile the other side of the table is the complete opposite.  Disunited Kingdom is closer to the point
No surprise. The government did not expect to be doing this and we have to be punished.

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1482 on: December 05, 2017, 15:24:40 PM »
No surprise. The government did not expect to be doing this and we have to be punished.
self-flagellation ?

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1483 on: December 05, 2017, 17:10:07 PM »
self-flagellation ?
Desperation.....from the EU, of course

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1484 on: December 05, 2017, 18:51:01 PM »
Desperation.....from the EU, of course

Of course  ;D ;D ;D