Author Topic: Brexit watch  (Read 33334 times)

döm

• TNMS Member
Re: Brexit watch
« Reply #1425 on: November 03, 2017, 10:21:52 AM »
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

DavidL

• TNMS Member
  • Music by Lee and Lifeson, Lyrics by Peart
« Reply #1426 on: November 03, 2017, 14:17:25 PM »
Check out @dwinnera’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/dwinnera/status/926387376854880256?s=09
Speculative nonsense masquerading as wisdom

Classic Remoaning

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1427 on: November 03, 2017, 14:22:29 PM »
GDP figure above forecasts at 0.4%. Let's see if the Canadian BS merchant ("enemy of Brexit") and his cohorts at the MPC will deliver on predicted interest rate rise next month. Or will they continue to lose credibility and sit on their hands?
They've actually made a good decision  :o

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1428 on: November 03, 2017, 15:39:59 PM »
Speculative nonsense masquerading as wisdom

Classic Remoaning

Very good anology I thought.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1429 on: November 03, 2017, 16:45:47 PM »

Very good anology I thought.
The analogy, if that's what you can call it, is based on the author's biased opinion of an outcome that he believes is pre-determined. Best to leave analogies for when the outcome he hopes for becomes reality. 

Bisto

• TNMS Member
  • Meh!
« Reply #1430 on: November 08, 2017, 19:03:53 PM »
I won't pretend that I understand the political complexities of negotiating a post Brexit settlement...or that I have an understanding of what the UK economy will look like in the post Brexit settlement reality...the problem is that nobody does...anybody who pretends they have access to a Crystal ball is a fool, regardless of the colour of their political ideology....it seems to me that a lot (rather than all) of those who voted Brexit on ideological grounds aren't pragmatists at all but would be quite prepared to risk and even see the UK slide into economic and political obscurity just for the sake of their cherished ideals and principles.

That tweet definitely sums up the kind of bullish, naive, nostalgic longing for a vanished and fictitious past...often coloured by their own barely disguised inherent racism....when Britain was Great and the Mother of all Democracies...that I hear in the majority of Brexiters that I have encountered....little wonder that Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and Nigel Mirage were the pro Brexit champions

If I had a Euro for every time I've heard something along the lines of;

"My Grandad/Dad fought in the 2nd World War to fight against totalitarianism and now Merkels achieving it through economic means...etc"

...I'd be living in Tuscany.....well....I'd have enough for a 2 week holiday anyway

I'm not casting nasturtions on anybody here....but if the cap fits...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 19:26:51 PM by Bisto »
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1431 on: November 09, 2017, 07:19:15 AM »
I won't pretend that I understand the political complexities of negotiating a post Brexit settlement...or that I have an understanding of what the UK economy will look like in the post Brexit settlement reality...the problem is that nobody does...anybody who pretends they have access to a Crystal ball is a fool, regardless of the colour of their political ideology....it seems to me that a lot (rather than all) of those who voted Brexit on ideological grounds aren't pragmatists at all but would be quite prepared to risk and even see the UK slide into economic and political obscurity just for the sake of their cherished ideals and principles.

That tweet definitely sums up the kind of bullish, naive, nostalgic longing for a vanished and fictitious past...often coloured by their own barely disguised inherent racism....when Britain was Great and the Mother of all Democracies...that I hear in the majority of Brexiters that I have encountered....little wonder that Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and Nigel Mirage were the pro Brexit champions

If I had a Euro for every time I've heard something along the lines of;

"My Grandad/Dad fought in the 2nd World War to fight against totalitarianism and now Merkels achieving it through economic means...etc"

...I'd be living in Tuscany.....well....I'd have enough for a 2 week holiday anyway

I'm not casting nasturtions on anybody here....but if the cap fits...

One important difference between most Brexiteers and Remainers is that most Brexiteers believe Britain is still Great.

Holidays in Tuscany may become considerably cheaper before too long ;)

« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 08:29:07 AM by DavidL »

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
« Reply #1432 on: November 09, 2017, 07:49:19 AM »
Our position is that we want Britain to remain great.

“Remaining Great” .. they should have hired me.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1433 on: November 09, 2017, 08:27:36 AM »
Our position is that we want Britain to remain great.

And yet you believe that it is only possible by being part of a project that we do not fully embrace and which relies on decisions on our governance being taken by others.

“Remaining Great” .. they should have hired me.
;D

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
« Reply #1434 on: November 09, 2017, 10:24:04 AM »
Yes i believe that's the best way to remain Great and not inflict the most crazy act of self harm on ourselves ever undertaken.

Ref Governance - at this point in time i dont think we have any. :-\
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Bisto

• TNMS Member
  • Meh!
« Reply #1435 on: November 09, 2017, 16:44:36 PM »
One important difference between most Brexiteers and Remainers is that most Brexiteers believe Britain is still Great.

Really?....."most people"...😒😞I didn't realise that there was data available to support that assertion...are you sure that you aren't just making assumptions and projecting your own beliefs?..What do you mean by "Great?"...and is that belief really enough to justify playing what, even you surely have to admit looks, a very poor hand against the house when the wager is the UK's economic future and that of its 66,319,691  plus population?

Not only is there no Plan B, theres no plan A

The biggest favour the Tories could do for the future well being of the UK
is turn the cargo cult into a suicide cult.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 17:16:11 PM by Bisto »

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1436 on: November 09, 2017, 18:24:12 PM »

...and is that belief really enough to justify playing what, even you surely have to admit looks, a very poor hand against the house when the wager is the UK's economic future and that of its 66,319,691  plus population?

I won't pretend that I understand the political complexities of negotiating a post Brexit settlement...or that I have an understanding of what the UK economy will look like in the post Brexit settlement reality...the problem is that nobody does...anybody who pretends they have access to a Crystal ball is a fool, regardless of the colour of their political ideology...

I agree

Bisto

• TNMS Member
  • Meh!
« Reply #1437 on: November 09, 2017, 19:18:24 PM »
you admit that you dont know what the future holds but youre willing to gamble the future which will be fraught with long term difficulties and subject to much more volatility against what was a known, stable and predictble system and status quo.... based on what?...a belief that we'll somehow magically be better off?...or that the clowns in the Tory party and DUP are fit to captain the good ship UK and sail us through the choppy waters into calmer seas of a brave new world and a bright, shiny new dawn of financial and political security and independence?

Better even the devil you know... better to work through diplomacy and secure reforms of the EU which, as a member state, afforded us trade with no trade barriers to our biggest export markets.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 19:44:28 PM by Bisto »

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #1438 on: November 09, 2017, 20:30:34 PM »
Better even the devil you know... better to work through diplomacy and secure reforms of the EU which, as a member state, afforded us trade with no trade barriers to our biggest export markets.
The trouble is, Call Me Dave tried to get some sort of EU reform, but failed to get enough to satisfy enough of the populace, which has led us to where we are now. The EU end game is a Centrally Controlled Federal European Superstate. End Of. It'll end in tears.

No trade barriers? Tell that to the French Farmers, they like being a barrier...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 21:55:50 PM by Nïckslïkk2112 »
Legend in my own Mind

Bisto

• TNMS Member
  • Meh!
« Reply #1439 on: November 10, 2017, 10:40:18 AM »
The trouble is, Call Me Dave tried to get some sort of EU reform, but failed to get enough to satisfy enough of the populace, which has led us to where we are now. The EU end game is a Centrally Controlled Federal European Superstate. End Of. It'll end in tears.

No trade barriers? Tell that to the French Farmers, they like being a barrier...

I'm talking about long term diplomacy, a commitment to work together amongst our partners with a genuine good conscience and determination and will for long lasting reform that would have mutual benefits rather than what amounted to the intransigent, short term, virtual gunboat kind employed by Cameron and his team, which was at least half playing to the gallery at home in the British media and his own back benches. It was little more than going through the motions because Cameron was too arrogant and out of touch to take the prospect of Electoral defeat seriously. I expect his own £30m plus fortune softened the blow of resigning as PM somewhat.🤔
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 10:47:17 AM by Bisto »