Brexit watch

Started by Nick, October 20, 2016, 18:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: döm on September 08, 2017, 10:47:06 am

Ninnyism ?  Figures, he is a committed brexiteer after all

You expect me to read things?
Legend in my own Mind


Slim

On tuning to the Parliament channel last night I was astonished by the hypocrisy of the many Labour and SNP members whom I saw standing up to speak in the Commons, to complain that the repeal bill will - get this - undermine Parliament.

In many cases these useful idiots of the EU are the very same people who meekly sank to their knees, heads bowed in cowed, pathetic submission while foreign powers foisted laws upon us year after year without our Parliament having the slightest say.

They must think their supporters are thick. And to be fair, they're exactly right about that.

DavidL

Interesting to see some of the content of Mr Junker's address to the EU parliament last week. Bring on the second referendum - 70/30 in favour of leaving, I'd wager.
If ever any proof were needed that the deluded federalists would never listen. Well done, Jean-Claude, you've made the case much better than any of us Leavers could have!

NeilP

Quote from: DavidL on September 17, 2017, 18:52:18 pm
Interesting to see some of the content of Mr Junker's address to the EU parliament last week. Bring on the second referendum - 70/30 in favour of leaving, I'd wager.



I'd take that bet though I sus[ect the UK won't get a second chance

DavidL

Quote from: NeilP on September 18, 2017, 08:41:21 am

I'd take that bet though I sus[ect the UK won't get a second chance
Not a hope in hell now the EU's intentions have been laid on the table for all to see. I think even the Lib Dems(?) will quietly drop their ridiculous anti-Brexit policy.

DavidL

UK manufacturing has grown over the last 12 months pushing us one place higher in the rankings of nations measured by industrial output, apparently.
If so, good news.

döm

You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

döm

Quote from: DavidL on September 19, 2017, 09:02:52 am
UK manufacturing has grown over the last 12 months pushing us one place higher in the rankings of nations measured by industrial output, apparently.
If so, good news.



upping production before trade barriers make dealing with the EU more expensive and difficult ?
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

DavidL

September 19, 2017, 20:25:40 pm #1268 Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 23:23:51 pm by DavidL
Quote from: döm on September 19, 2017, 10:51:45 am

upping production before trade barriers make dealing with the EU more expensive and difficult ?
I'm sure that would be the 'official' Remoaner take on things.
Certainly the view of a pessimistic speculatist (or a speculative pessimist?). Same thing. No good news is good news!

NeilP

I think the EU has been consistent here, it was always predicted post vote that the press/media would try to cast them as the villain in negotiations. As for the LD's I think they will stick to their anti Brexit stance and go for a second vote based on the deal we've negotiated, not a second referendum but one based on facts

DavidL

September 20, 2017, 11:05:04 am #1270 Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 14:47:42 pm by DavidL
Quote from: NeilP on September 20, 2017, 08:32:15 am
I think the EU has been consistent here, it was always predicted post vote that the press/media would try to cast them as the villain in negotiations. As for the LD's I think they will stick to their anti Brexit stance and go for a second vote based on the deal we've negotiated, not a second referendum but one based on facts
Well, I'd say the EU are the villain in the negotiations. They are unable to negotiate without adopting an approach that is designed to discourage other states from holding similar referenda. They would gladly cut off their nose to spite their face. A 'no deal' outcome may be inevitable unless the EU are prepared to lose face.
As for the Lib Dems(?), if they adopt the policy you suggest, they are guilty of being unpatriotic - no surprise there. Even Pantsdown has criticised the party's position.

NeilP

The EU seem to just want the Irish border issue, the position of EU citizens in the UK and the divorce bill clarified before they discuss trade deals, twas always so and the cabinet don't seem to be sure what to do atm

DavidL

Quote from: NeilP on September 20, 2017, 23:32:22 pm
The EU seem to just want the Irish border issue, the position of EU citizens in the UK and the divorce bill clarified before they discuss trade deals, twas always so and the cabinet don't seem to be sure what to do atm
They may 'seem' to wish to clarify those issues but 'punishment' of the U.K is the most important issue for them to prevent 'contagion'.
The 'divorce bill' (misnomer) is their responsibility, in that an itemisation must be presented to the UK for scrutiny. It would be grossly irresponsible for the government to commit taxpayer's money to pay items on said bill unless there was a sound legal obligation to do so. Barrier has probably been told to 'screw us' by his masters and we've initially responded by saying "feck off" - quite rightly.

NeilP

I think you'll find that we're legally obliged to pay what we've committed to actually, the anti EU trash paper talk is a predictable reaction for a clueless British minister in charge of negotiations.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/brexit-latest-triggering-article-50-was-historic-unforgivable-blunder-says-former-vote-leave-chief-a3637696.html

NeilP