Alcohol Units

Started by Bez, February 22, 2008, 16:20:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bisto

January 22, 2020, 16:18:04 pm #705 Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 10:59:57 am by Bisto
I  miss the social aspect of drinking alcohol with friends but not the alcohol itself...I went through a couple of decades of searching for a whisky (within a £30 budget) that I could call my own/favourite, believing whisky to be infinitely superior to Bourbon, Rum and Brandy and never liking Gin or Vodka....I admit that there was also a vain, insecure part of me which I observed/indulged with equal amounts of humour and distaste, that thought a Gentleman/man should have a signature alcoholic tipple which he is associated with, in the same way that people choose a particular cigar or a brand of cigarettes, phone, watch, aftershave or sports logo...I guess I've tried about 20 different single malts or so over the years (none of yer blended rubbish thankyou!) but recently (finally) I've come to the conclusion that I prefer the relative smoothness and Les complex flavour (and aftertaste) of Yankee Bourbon, specifically; Jack Daniels 'Gentleman Jack'... I simply can't be arsed to keep looking for the perfect sub £30 Whisky or subject my palate to yet another expensive and ultimately unpleasant work out.
Sometimes more is less, and less is more, especially when it's on special offer....if you see what I mean.

I can't quite shake the feeling that my long and dear departed Grandfather would be shaking his head and tut, tutting in mild disapproval and disappointment.... though to counter that I console myself with the thought that, were it available back in the day, he would also probably have (secretly) preferred Gentleman Jack too.
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

The Letter R

Gentleman Jack and Single Barrel Jack are a couple of my favourites, Woodford Reserve is decent too and that sits at around the £30 mark.

Bisto

Quote from: The Letter R on January 23, 2020, 09:45:20 amGentleman Jack and Single Barrel Jack are a couple of my favourites, Woodford Reserve is decent too and that sits at around the £30 mark.

I can happily drink GJ neat with ice but need a mixer with WR....I've never tried the Single Barrel as I've never seen it for less than £40...Don't think I've tried Buffalo Trace either
Cheapest I've seen GJ is £20, the dearest is £35...I never buy it for more than £25 which is fairly easy to find. I've got some Makers Mark and Red Stag still unopened from Christmas as well as a bottle of Jim Beam as back up, it's a lot less smooth than  not bad for £14-16 but it does need a Coke in it.....I recently tried a Godfather Cocktail (whisky/Bourbon, Amaretto and Cola) which goes down very easily indeed...needless to say I prefer it with Bourbon. Wetherspoons do two pitchers for £12

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

The Letter R

I only drink mine neat - don't even like ice in it.
When I went to Greece a few years back I had to learn the Greek for "no ice" - "ochi pagos" in case you're interested - so they'd stop putting ice in my jack!

zoony

Well January is easy to work out, haven't had a drop.

Bez

50 for me, mainly at Pudders' birthday bash and 16 on Thursday out with mates for a couple of beers...
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Bisto

Quote from: Bisto on January 24, 2020, 00:28:05 amI can happily drink GJ neat with ice but need a mixer with WR....I've never tried the Single Barrel as I've never seen it for less than £40...Don't think I've tried Buffalo Trace either
Cheapest I've seen GJ is £20, the dearest is £35...I never buy it for more than £25 which is fairly easy to find. I've got some Makers Mark and Red Stag still unopened from Christmas as well as a bottle of Jim Beam as back up, it's a lot less smooth than  not bad for £14-16 but it does need a Coke in it.....I recently tried a Godfather Cocktail (whisky/Bourbon, Amaretto and Cola) which goes down very easily indeed...needless to say I prefer it with Bourbon. Wetherspoons do two pitchers for £12
Polished off the Makers Mark over a couple of nights (with a bit of help)....not bad at all...the Red Stag has a less refined taste...back onto GJ now which is my go to Bourbon.

zoony

Still alcohol free since early November. Mind you, all the bollocks about this virus may well be enough to drive me to drink!

DavidL

Quote from: zoony on March 16, 2020, 19:37:17 pmStill alcohol free since early November. Mind you, all the bollocks about this virus may well be enough to drive me to drink!
Good luck with finding anywhere to consume alcohol! Before you say home, I imagine that the booze will fly off the shelves along with the bog roll. Prices will reflect the demand, I imagine.