Annoyance of the Day - 69

Started by Dixkot, August 19, 2014, 11:56:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bisto

There's not much chance of the general population gaining widespread herd immunity if everyone in the low risk groups are still being forcibly isolated or are isolating themselves.
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

zoony

Just watching Gillette soccer special on SKY, and the panellists are as dull as dishwater. The guys that they got rid of were a lot better than this lot.

BasspedalMan

Quote from: zoony on September 18, 2020, 18:31:43 pmProblem is that when you sign up to Look after my bills, they find you a deal for 12 months, but there are early exit fees. What is pissing me off is that I raised my DD payments by £20 a month more than what they estimated I'd be using, and I'm still going to be ending up with a substantial final bill.
I have been pretty happy with my experiences with 'Look after my Bills'. Latest deal is 100% renewable and I have reduced my monthly payment and am £350 in credit!!!
Ok, I'll join in...

1981 x 1
1983 x 4
1988 x 2
1992 x 2
1996 x 2
1997 x 5
2002 x 3
2004 x 7
2007 x 7
2011 x 3
2013 x 3

zoony

Quote from: BasspedalMan on September 25, 2020, 18:25:32 pmI have been pretty happy with my experiences with 'Look after my Bills'. Latest deal is 100% renewable and I have reduced my monthly payment and am £350 in credit!!!
I checked on the EDF website a month before my switch to Utility point, and I was £180 in credit on my electric (£60 a month DD), and £50 in debt on my gas (£50 a month DD). Just had my final bills, and I owe £48 on my electric, and £221 on my gas. How the feck can I go from a net credit of £130 to owing £270 in one month when I haven't changed the amount of energy I use? Something stinks, but I doubt I'll be able to do anything about it.

Richard_2112

September 26, 2020, 02:04:29 am #2719 Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 02:10:57 am by Richard_2112
Quote from: zoony on September 25, 2020, 23:06:29 pmI checked on the EDF website a month before my switch to Utility point, and I was £180 in credit on my electric (£60 a month DD), and £50 in debt on my gas (£50 a month DD). Just had my final bills, and I owe £48 on my electric, and £221 on my gas. How the feck can I go from a net credit of £130 to owing £270 in one month when I haven't changed the amount of energy I use? Something stinks, but I doubt I'll be able to do anything about it.
I get this all the time with metered customers at work so I'll break it down for you as best I can. Basically when you are with a utility service a bill is added to your account based on your consumption once per quarter. The idea of a 12 month plan is you build a credit up leading up to each quarter which is then eaten up by the bill that's added to your account. The theory being that you should start and finish each 12 month payment plan at £0.00. But the flaw in these plans is if you haven't built up enough credit for any of those quarters then you start to lag behind and instead of just building up a credit for the next quarter you'll still be paying off the previous quarter as well. That's when final bills get tricky because your services from them will end but not only will the credit from your account be wiped out by how much you've used since the previous quarter bill, but if you'll also be billed up to the date you end the contract.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines.

DavidL

Quote from: Richard_2112 on September 26, 2020, 02:04:29 amI get this all the time with metered customers at work so I'll break it down for you as best I can. Basically when you are with a utility service a bill is added to your account based on your consumption once per quarter. The idea of a 12 month plan is you build a credit up leading up to each quarter which is then eaten up by the bill that's added to your account. The theory being that you should start and finish each 12 month payment plan at £0.00. But the flaw in these plans is if you haven't built up enough credit for any of those quarters then you start to lag behind and instead of just building up a credit for the next quarter you'll still be paying off the previous quarter as well. That's when final bills get tricky because your services from them will end but not only will the credit from your account be wiped out by how much you've used since the previous quarter bill, but if you'll also be billed up to the date you end the contract.
Is it done that way so the utilities earn the interest on your accrued payments?

captainkurtz

Utility companies are completely shit at producing accurate bills based on confirmed readings.  Just this week I received a £6700 bill for a flat that had been empty for 17 days.  This was after I had given them both opening and closing reads.

The plus side, is that I am regularly receiving £25 checks from companies as an apology for their incompetence.  Which is nice.
Anger is a gift.

DavidL

September 26, 2020, 15:46:13 pm #2722 Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 15:59:13 pm by DavidL
Another asylum seeker doles out his version of gratitude on the streets of Paris

Closer to home there are reports that the Croydon police murderer had previously been referred to the government's anti-terrorism program, Prevent. Strangely, Met chief Cressida Dick describes the killing as not terrorism-related. Bit weird, that.

Richard_2112

Quote from: DavidL on September 26, 2020, 09:50:06 amIs it done that way so the utilities earn the interest on your accrued payments?
There's a possibility that could be a factor. All I know from where I work is it's just easier spreading annual usage over 12 months rather than people getting whacked with a lump sum bill that's payable as soon as it's printed once every three months. The bigger energy companies are miles ahead of anyone else with their smart meters that show what you're paying for in real time and the sooner every other company gets smart meters fitted the better really cause it should stop all this confusion with payment plans.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines.

zoony

Quote from: Richard_2112 on September 26, 2020, 02:04:29 amI get this all the time with metered customers at work so I'll break it down for you as best I can. Basically when you are with a utility service a bill is added to your account based on your consumption once per quarter. The idea of a 12 month plan is you build a credit up leading up to each quarter which is then eaten up by the bill that's added to your account. The theory being that you should start and finish each 12 month payment plan at £0.00. But the flaw in these plans is if you haven't built up enough credit for any of those quarters then you start to lag behind and instead of just building up a credit for the next quarter you'll still be paying off the previous quarter as well. That's when final bills get tricky because your services from them will end but not only will the credit from your account be wiped out by how much you've used since the previous quarter bill, but if you'll also be billed up to the date you end the contract.
Thanks for that mate, but I'm still not happy, and will be having words with them before the bill has to be paid by the 1st of October. It was with EDF, actually a company who I was with for 5 or 6 years, and used to get a pretty good deal from them each year to be fair before I tried using Look after my bills to switch me. Starting to think that staying loyal to one supplier and negotiating my own deal might be the best bet?