your favourite year of the 80s

Started by zoony, September 26, 2016, 14:51:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

döm

Quote from: Matt2112 on October 07, 2016, 13:23:28 pm
Mystic Rhythms is the least strong song on PoW, yes (I cannot use the pejorative term "weakest").

For me CA is the best album since HYF and the halcyon days around that time, and therefore a lot of the songs on it are about as good if not even better than the likes of MR.

In my head I tend to lump Vapour Trails, Snakes and Arrows and Clockwork Angels all together.  I haven't listened to any of them in ages.  Maybe I should wipe off the dust and give them another go.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Matt2112

Quote from: döm on October 07, 2016, 14:02:46 pm

In my head I tend to lump Vapour Trails, Snakes and Arrows and Clockwork Angels all together.  I haven't listened to any of them in ages.  Maybe I should wipe off the dust and give them another go.

To my candy ears, there is a concerted effort throughout CA for the top line/vocal melodies to be...well, really melodic.  It's an album full of genuinely strong hooks - and I'd go as far as saying often radio-friendly hooks.  VT and particularly S&A are very patchy in that regard.
The keys to happiness

DavidL

Quote from: Matt2112 on October 07, 2016, 14:45:05 pm
To my candy ears, there is a concerted effort throughout CA for the top line/vocal melodies to be...well, really melodic.  It's an album full of genuinely strong hooks - and I'd go as far as saying often radio-friendly hooks.  VT and particularly S&A are very patchy in that regard.
I think there are some great melodies on Vapor Trails, for me, possibly more than on S&A but both albums suffer from lack of editing. If both albums had been made pre 1983, they'd have been much stronger albums.
CA just scrapes in on the longer format.

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: döm on October 07, 2016, 14:02:46 pm

NO!!!!! DON'T!!!!!!!!!
Legend in my own Mind

zoony

Quote from: döm on October 07, 2016, 14:00:30 pm

which bit?  Or with  all of it?

The second part mate. Have you actually played the last 3 albums? The reason I say this is I can't believe you have if you think there is nothing on them better than Mystic Rythms.

Slim

Quote from: Matt2112 on October 02, 2016, 17:27:26 pm

I am not disagreeing with your technically correct arguments.  I'm saying that while it may be technically correct to say 1980 was in the 70s

It isn't, because the '80s are not a "calendar decade". It's just a convenient term for years starting with '80', specifically 1980-89, not a formal unit of time.

Slim

Quote from: zoony on October 10, 2016, 12:06:37 pm
The second part mate. Have you actually played the last 3 albums? The reason I say this is I can't believe you have if you think there is nothing on them better than Mystic Rythms.

I really like Clockwork Angels, but only a couple of the tunes on there are as strong as Mystic Rythms, for me. There's nothing on SA or VT that's remotely in that class.