your favourite year of the 80s

Started by zoony, September 26, 2016, 15:51:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

rufus the dawg

October 02, 2016, 18:39:54 pm #30 Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 18:46:32 pm by rufus the dawg
Quote from: Matt2112 on October 02, 2016, 18:27:26 pm

I am not disagreeing with your technically correct arguments.  I'm saying that while it may be technically correct to say 1980 was in the 70s, that is however not the convention, which is used for practical, everyday purposes and functions well, which generally regards that year as belonging to the 80s.  Same for 2000 being the first year of the millennium, which of course was marked by underwhelming parties and planes not falling out of the sky. :)


and if you start with year zero (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9) all the way to nine = ten years, so 1970 to 1979 equals a decade.

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: rufus the dawg on October 02, 2016, 18:39:54 pm
and if you start with year zero (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9) all the way to nine = ten years, so 1970 to 1979 equals a decade.

THERE WAS NO YEAR ZERO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A decade is any ten year period, so to avoid the first decade ending in 9 it has to finish at 10 and so on.

It's all bloody arbitrary anyway, all anyone needs to know is that music gets better the further back you go  - until the late 60s. FACT.
Legend in my own Mind


Richard_2112

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on October 02, 2016, 22:44:39 pm
THERE WAS NO YEAR ZERO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A decade is any ten year period, so to avoid the first decade ending in 9 it has to finish at 10 and so on.

By that logic the year 1900 was still in the 1890s
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines.

Matt2112


;D

Here's the thing: that there was no year 0 is correct, hence that year (say) 1980 is the last decade of the 70s is technically correct, however the convention for practical purposes is that 1980 is generally considered a part of the decade of the eighties.  The theory and the practise both work, in their own ways.  :)
The keys to happiness

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: Matt2112 on October 02, 2016, 23:50:59 pm
;D

Here's the thing: that there was no year 0 is correct, hence that year (say) 1980 is the last decade of the 70s is technically correct, however the convention for practical purposes is that 1980 is generally considered a part of the decade of the eighties.  The theory and the practise both work, in their own ways.  :)

But only one way if you're a pedant ;)


I remember reading a Steven J Gould essay on the Millennium. I think he came out in favour of two celebrations...

Legend in my own Mind


Bisto

I know I can be annoyingly pedantic; it fits in quite nicely with my OCD tendencies, mild paranoia, penchant for off the cuff pop psychology and well justified inferiority complex. But with you it comes across as more of an expression of your general beligerence, mischievousness and delight in winding folk up. In short; with me its part of my "condition" (being a Cock) ... whereas, for you, its merely a divertissement.
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Matt2112

The keys to happiness

BaldiePete

Nick is right about year 0 and the millennium because that is a measure with a defined starting point (in this case Year 1 AD) and  a decade has to contain 10 years so year 11 AD was the first year of the 2nd decade. Consequentially 2000AD was the last year of the 2nd millennium and the new millennium started in 2001.

He is wrong about 1980 being in the 70's though since a decade is ANY period of 10 years but crucially it doesn't require a fixed starting point. Any abitrary start  date can be selected. The start of 1969 to  the end of 1978 is just as much a decade as year 1 to year 10, 1970 to 1979 or 1971 to 1980. It is both correct and reasonable to describe the 70's (those years from 1970 to 1979) as a decade since it describes a period of 10 complete years.

Anyway, Permanent Waves is obviously a 1970's album. It may have been release on 1st January 1980 but everything else about it from the music, the lyrics, the artwork through to the pressing of the vinyl for the release was done in the 1970's. The release date does not trump all the factors that created the album.

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: BaldiePete on October 03, 2016, 10:31:07 am
Anyway, Permanent Waves is obviously a 1970's album.

You're not wrong there, because 1980 was still in the 70s... ;)


My pedantry arises from probable Aspergers. And Friday's curry gave my ass a real good purge...
Legend in my own Mind


Matt2112

October 03, 2016, 10:55:21 am #39 Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 10:57:09 am by Matt2112
Quote from: BaldiePete on October 03, 2016, 10:31:07 am
Nick is right about year 0 and the millennium because that is a measure with a defined starting point (in this case Year 1 AD) and  a decade has to contain 10 years so year 11 AD was the first year of the 2nd decade. Consequentially 2000AD was the last year of the 2nd millennium and the new millennium started in 2001.

He is wrong about 1980 being in the 70's though since a decade is ANY period of 10 years but crucially it doesn't require a fixed starting point. Any abitrary start  date can be selected. The start of 1969 to  the end of 1978 is just as much a decade as year 1 to year 10, 1970 to 1979 or 1971 to 1980. It is both correct and reasonable to describe the 70's (those years from 1970 to 1979) as a decade since it describes a period of 10 complete years.


Yes, pretty much what I was saying.  :)

QuoteAnyway, Permanent Waves is obviously a 1970's album. It may have been release on 1st January 1980 but everything else about it from the music, the lyrics, the artwork through to the pressing of the vinyl for the release was done in the 1970's. The release date does not trump all the factors that created the album.


No, as far as those who bought it and listened to it were concerned, PeW is still an 80s album.  Anyway, even its creation can be credited to the 80s, because during its creation the band were clearly ahead of their time. :P
The keys to happiness

rufus the dawg

the first year is january 1st 0000 ie the first year ever is year 1

year 0-1 is year one

Matt2112

Quote from: rufus the dawg on October 03, 2016, 15:35:35 pm
the first year is january 1st 0000 ie the first year ever is year 1

year 0-1 is year one


No, the first year is designated 1 CE.  The year before that is (was) 1 BCE.  There was no year 0000 in between.

Simmers will be banging his head against the wall.  ;D
The keys to happiness

Fishy

.....anyway just to say 1985 was completely ruined by Mystic Rhythms
From the Land of Honest Men.

rufus the dawg

Quote from: Matt2112 on October 03, 2016, 15:53:17 pm
No, the first year is designated 1 CE.  The year before that is (was) 1 BCE.  There was no year 0000 in between.

Simmers will be banging his head against the wall.  ;D



good  ;D


0000 was to designate 1970, 1980,1990 2000 etc etc




rufus the dawg

Quote from: Fishy on October 03, 2016, 16:06:15 pm
.....anyway just to say 1985 was completely ruined by Mystic Rhythms



Leave Mystic Rhythms alone please.