your favourite year of the 80s

Started by zoony, September 26, 2016, 15:51:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pdw1

Quote from: Bisto on September 30, 2016, 10:46:18 am
1980. I was 18, and had left school at 16. Flitting between factories and shops, I changed jobs more frequently than I washed my jeans. I didn't know my arse from my elbow in those days, but I loved football and music with a passion! Most of my weekends and money were spent in Record Shops and following Man United home and away but I was still an infrequent gig goer at that age. Apart from seeing many local and tribute bands at the Cartoon and The Gun I think I only saw UFO (with Girl), Saxon and Samsom that year

I used to buy an average of one or two albums a week from either 101 Records, Beanos, Diamond Records, Our Price or from department stores such as Alders, Debenhams, Littlewoods, Grants and Boots...all in Croydon.

That year I bought Iron Maiden, Glory Road, The Michael Schenker Group, Wheels Of Steel and Strong Arm Of The Law, Ready An Willin', Animal Magnetism, I'm a Rebel, Back in Black, Ace Of Spades, China Town, Live in the Heart of the City, Head on, Heaven & Hell, Metal Rendezvous, Tomcattin, Beatin' the odds, Power Supply, Women and Children first, Zenyatta Mondatta, Uprising, Vienna, Sky 2, Boy, Scarey Monsters, Kaleidoscope, On through the Night, Wild Cat, Blizzard of Ozz, British Steel and the Metal for Muthas compilation. I only had Hemispheres on Cassette  until a couple of years later.

Most memorable of all was the very first Monsters of Rock Festival at Donnington Park. What a day that was....Ive been to a fair few gigs and Festivals since then but that was my first. My memory is generally poor but that day is permanently etched in my mind, not just for the great performances but the atmosphere. If I could relive one festival again it would be that one!

Line up

Rainbow
Judas Priest
Scorpions
April Wine
Riot
Touch

Other memorable events in 1980:

The Moscow Summer Olympics: Led by the United States under US President Jimmy Carter, 65 countries boycott the games in  protest at the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. The BOC defied the Government to compete in the games, with Wells, Ovett, Coe, Goodhew and Thompson the only Gold medal winners for GB as they finish in 9th place.

Nottingham Forest retain the European Cup beating (West German champions) Hamburger SV 1-0  in Madrid.
West Ham United become only the 2nd ever team from the 2nd tier of English football to win the F.A. Cup by beating red hot favourites Arsenal 1 - 0, thanks to a rare headed goal from Trevor Brooking
Liverpool win their 12th League title.

Borg beats McEnroe to clinch his 5th and final Wimbledon Men's Singles Final

The British Economy slides into recession
British Steel workers go on strike
Inflation reaches 22% Taxes and Duties are raised in the budget
Unemployment figure approaches 2 million

The SAS storm the Iranian Embassy building, kill 5 out of the 6 terrorists and free all the hostages
Alexandra Palace is destroyed by fire.

Former Actor Ronald Reagan defeats incumbent U.S. President Jimmy Carter
Start of the Iran-Iraq war

Robert Mugabe elected Prime Minister of the newly independent Zimbabwe

Lech Walesa forms 'Solidarity' the anti-communist trades union organisation in Poland

Mount St. Helens erupts in Washington, killing 57 and causing US$3 billion worth of damage.

NASA's Voyager I sends back hi-res images of Saturn

In Australia, baby Azaria Chamberlain disappears from a campsite at Ayers Rock, taken by a dingo.

Former Beatle John Lennon dies in the hospital having been shot outside his New York City apartment by obsessive, deranged fan Mark David Chapman.

Exit Stage left:

Oswald Mosley (b. 1896) - Leader of the British Union of Fascists
Hattie Jacques (b. 1922) - (Carry on films) Actress
Yootha Joyce (b.  1927) Actress
Peter Sellers (b. 1925) Actor and Comedian
Bon Scott (b. 1946) - Lead singer of AC/DC
Jesse Owens (b. 1913) - American track and field athlete who won 4 gold medals in the 1936 Munich Summer Olympics.
Jean-Paul Sartre (b. 1905) - French Existentialist philosopher, political activist and writer.
John Laurie (b. 1897) Actor (Private Frazer in Dad's Army)
Alfred Hitchcock (b. 1899) - British film director
Ian Curtis (b. 1956) - Lead singer of Joy Division.
John Bonham (b. 1948) - Led Zeppelin drummer
Steve McQueen (b. 1930) - American film & tv actor
Mae West (b. 1893) - American actress, playwright, screenwriter and sex symbol.
John Lennon (b. 1940) - British singer, songwriter, guitarist and political activist.

So not much happened then  ::)
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

Bisto

September 30, 2016, 22:26:32 pm #16 Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 22:41:50 pm by Bisto
I probably live too much in the past, but it was a big year ... I could have put more personal stuff in but that would have been (even more) tedious. :P

Even if nobody else reads my  post I got quite a bit out of 'reliving' (as it were) those events and times. I really do miss those record shops and Croydon as it was in the past. I was blissfully naive and for the majority of that year I had fun and felt relatively free and independent.
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Nïckslïkk2112

1980 WAS IN THE 1970s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TRUST ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Legend in my own Mind

Matt2112

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on September 30, 2016, 22:46:07 pm
1980 WAS IN THE 1970s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tsk...trying to claim Permanent Waves as a 70s album.  :P
The keys to happiness

Bisto

September 30, 2016, 23:11:48 pm #19 Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 23:13:40 pm by Bisto
Quote1980 WAS IN THE 1970s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok I'll indulge you....fill yer boots  :) and justify your claim. I am genuinely intrigued.

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: Bisto on September 30, 2016, 23:11:48 pm
Ok I'll indulge you....fill yer boots  :) and justify your claim. I am genuinely intrigued.

There was no year Zero.
I expect you celebrated the Millennium a year early too....
Legend in my own Mind

Bisto

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on October 01, 2016, 00:39:16 am
There was no year Zero.
I expect you celebrated the Millennium a year early too....

Bloody typical Accountant!  ::) :P

Matt2112

It's arbitrary and a question of nomenclature; depends on how pedantic you are.

In general, everyday use, 80-something (even if that something is nothing) means 80s.

As long as consistency is applied, all is good.
The keys to happiness

Bisto

Quote from: Matt2112 on October 01, 2016, 10:13:58 am

In general, everyday use, 80-something (even if that something is nothing) means 80s.

As long as consistency is applied, all is good.

You don't get something for nothing....thats just the way it is....conventional wisdom would say.

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: Matt2112 on October 01, 2016, 10:13:58 am

But, do you really want the first millennium to have started with a nine year decade? Pedantry R me :)

QuoteAs long as consistency is applied, all is good.

Even if it's wrong?
Legend in my own Mind

Matt2112

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on October 01, 2016, 12:56:54 pm
But, do you really want the first millennium to have started with a nine year decade? Pedantry R me :)
Even if it's wrong?

When it's two minutes to midnight :) on a Monday, do you refer to it as Tuesday? 
The keys to happiness

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: Matt2112 on October 01, 2016, 13:45:27 pm

When it's two minutes to midnight :) on a Monday, do you refer to it as Tuesday?

Monday is a fully defined 24 hour period. A decade is a defined period of ten years. With no year zero, the first decade of the CE has to finish at 10. Logic, defeating specious arguments since time immemorial - so that'll be 3rd September 1189  ;)
Legend in my own Mind

Matt2112

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on October 01, 2016, 13:55:16 pm
Monday is a fully defined 24 hour period. A decade is a defined period of ten years. With no year zero, the first decade of the CE has to finish at 10. Logic, defeating specious arguments since time immemorial - so that'll be 3rd September 1189  ;)

So there you have it - it's down to nomenclature then, and not the actual time that has passed.  Thank you for proving my point.  :-*
The keys to happiness

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: Matt2112 on October 01, 2016, 14:54:47 pm
So there you have it - it's down to nomenclature then, and not the actual time that has passed.  Thank you for proving my point.  :-*

But a decade has to be the actual amount of time that has passed. :)
Legend in my own Mind

Matt2112

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on October 01, 2016, 15:12:04 pm
But a decade has to be the actual amount of time that has passed. :)

I am not disagreeing with your technically correct arguments.  I'm saying that while it may be technically correct to say 1980 was in the 70s, that is however not the convention, which is used for practical, everyday purposes and functions well, which generally regards that year as belonging to the 80s.  Same for 2000 being the first year of the millennium, which of course was marked by underwhelming parties and planes not falling out of the sky. :)

The keys to happiness