Anyone play Squash?

Started by rufus the dawg, September 19, 2016, 10:35:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rufus the dawg

Does anyone play squash?
With the new squash season starting in a few weeks time I am wondering does anyone play squash on TNMS.

I can play up to 5 times a week playing mates and training, trying to get better, it is a very addictive sport. The team I play for has its first club game in October 5, so trying to get my fitness up with running, rowing and spinning. Hard work.

So any other squash players?

Jonners

Not any more, but I play golf with this feller, who is rather good:-

http://www.suttonsquashclub.net/marcus-hayes-over-35-masters-may-16/

Apparently he is number 3 in the world now or something daft for over 35's

Possibly the worst putter of a ball I have ever seen in my life, which is odd as normally racket sport pl;ayers are decent golfers
The new songs are an abomination

Fishy

yep altho not played for about 5 weeks due to tearing my left calf muscle which completes the set of tearing right calf muscle about 2 years ago and also my right wrist.... will hopefully get back to it in a couple of weeks..
From the Land of Honest Men.

Bisto

Quote from: Fishy on September 20, 2016, 10:30:59 am
... also my right wrist.... will hopefully get back to it in a couple of weeks..

:-X :o
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

rufus the dawg

Quote from: Jonners on September 20, 2016, 10:27:01 am
Not any more, but I play golf with this feller, who is rather good:-

http://www.suttonsquashclub.net/marcus-hayes-over-35-masters-may-16/

Apparently he is number 3 in the world now or something daft for over 35's

Possibly the worst putter of a ball I have ever seen in my life, which is odd as normally racket sport pl;ayers are decent golfers

I am also awful at golf and pretty good at squash! I have coaching from a chap who was ranked 167 in the world and is still in his twenties, and when he gets going wow, the control he puts on the ball is astonishing,both the speed and spin.

rufus the dawg

Quote from: Fishy on September 20, 2016, 10:30:59 am
yep altho not played for about 5 weeks due to tearing my left calf muscle which completes the set of tearing right calf muscle about 2 years ago and also my right wrist.... will hopefully get back to it in a couple of weeks..

ow that's painful. I also tore my calf muscle once, I remember a bang as if a shot gun had gone off and thought the the guy I was playing had hit my calf with his racket. Then the pain hit me and I fell over. Lucky for me it has not happened for 10 years.

Do you just play with your mates? internal leagues? or county squash?

Fishy

Yep feels like an elastic band breaking in your leg..bloody sore... just me and mates..varies between two or three of us..was twice a week..really need to get back to it...
From the Land of Honest Men.

Slim

My steamroller's broken at the moment.

zoony

I'd imagine there would be a lot of lets if I ever played it.

Red Star

Quote from: zoony on September 21, 2016, 12:59:49 pm
I'd imagine there would be a lot of lets if I ever played it.

As in ''lets forget this and go down the chip shop!" ;D

Used to play to club standard squash many years ago and also table tennis in the Cheltenham leagues. Havn't played either for about 30 years but am thinking about taking up table tennis again.
You shall call me pisshead the God of Pintage I shall be...

rufus the dawg

Quote from: Slim on September 20, 2016, 21:21:42 pm
My steamroller's broken at the moment.

Have some Ribena in the meantime.

rufus the dawg

Just played a pre season Friendly with a Lilleshall's First division and Second Division teams against our First Division and third Division team. Then down the pub for food and Beer.  20 people playing squash in three and a half hour tournament, brilliant fun.

The season starts in 2 weeks time!

zoony

Quote from: Red Star on September 21, 2016, 13:17:28 pm
As in ''lets forget this and go down the chip shop!" ;D

You know me too well mate!

Matt2112

September 27, 2016, 13:43:06 pm #13 Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 00:17:12 am by Matt2112
Genuine question out of curiosity as someone who likes to keep in shape: isn't squash "dangerous" and not recommended for, say, the over 35s..?  It seems notorious for having a bit of a high mortality rate...or is that just a myth?

Thoughts?
The keys to happiness

rufus the dawg

Quote from: Matt2112 on September 27, 2016, 13:43:06 pm
Genuine question put of curiosity as someone who likes to keep in shape: isn't squash "dangerous" and not recommended for, say, the over 35s..?  It seems notorious for having a bit of a high mortality rate...or is that just a myth?

Thoughts?
hello Matt, I am away from home so can not comment properly, but will comment fully when I am back in a couple of days.