Rio Olympics 2016

Started by Nïckslïkk2112, August 05, 2016, 22:48:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bez

Quote from: Bez on August 19, 2016, 13:32:42 pm
My home town of Hemel Hempstead was 21st in the medals table at one point (after Max Whitlock won 2 golds on the same night)

If you add Laura Trott's golds Hertfordshire is doing rather well too.

I may check to see if there are any other lurking that I'm not aware of....

Apparently as a county we can also count :

Joe Clarke - Gold
Florence & Hounslow - Silver
Steven Scott - Bronze
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

DavidL

Looks like Rio's inability to find the money to stage the Olympics will be borne by the Paralympians. The IOC will be forced to find a different model.

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: DavidL on August 19, 2016, 20:41:55 pm
Looks like Rio's inability to find the money to stage the Olympics will be borne by the Paralympians.

Good.
If they want to be treated equally, they can compete with everybody else. Same goes for the wimmin too. That'd make thing cheaper to run :)
Legend in my own Mind

döm

Quote from: DavidL on August 19, 2016, 20:41:55 pm
Looks like Rio's inability to find the money to stage the Olympics will be borne by the Paralympians. The IOC will be forced to find a different model.

Heather Mills?
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Matt2112

Women's GB hockey team completely played off the park by the Netherlands in the final, but prevailed in the end by sheer grit.  Great stuff. :)
The keys to happiness

Nïckslïkk2112

And old man Nick Skelton got a Gold. His hoss got a carrot.
Legend in my own Mind

Fishy

Surely the horse deserves the medal.. give Skelton the carrot....
From the Land of Honest Men.

Nïckslïkk2112

Hoorah! The EU is top of the Olympics Medal Table!!!!

http://medaltracker.eu/

Cheeky buggers, we're Brexiting >:(
Legend in my own Mind

Richard_2112

Now that he's crashed out at the semi final can we collectively as a country admit that we don't give a flying feck about Tom Daley?
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines.

NeilP

Quote from: Slim on August 17, 2016, 17:25:38 pm
Well, that's what Nicky Campbell reported on 5 Live this morning. But I checked it just now, and another report claims £10,000, which seems a bit more credible.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/rio-olympics-2016/1582891/rio-olympics-2016-team-gb-cyclists-using-bikes-coated-with-top-secret-aerodynamic-paint-designed-to-win-formula-ones-top-races/

Even the paint is special; manufactured and applied so as to be mirror smooth for minimum drag. I was interested to see that although some of the track cyclists have unvented helmets, others had much more conventional helmets, roughly of the sort you see on the road every day. Would have thought the vents make a dramatic difference to aerodynamics, a lot more than a coat of paint.

the track frames are £20K - this from one of the GB team designers/guru's

NeilP

Quote from: Matt2112 on August 19, 2016, 11:29:08 am
;D

Absolutely...Friday bants aside, I heard on the radio this morning that Alistair Brownlee's best 10K time during a triathlon is only about 70 seconds slower than Mo Farah's.  Not sure of the veracity of that, but pretty astonishing if true.

his best time in a triathlon is about 29:15 which is about 100 secs behind MF's ... that's a long way tbh

zoony

Well the GB team have improved their medal tally for 5 games on the trot, which is some achievement. Was Rio better than London though? Not a chance.

Jonners

In terms of performance it was.

As an event obviously it would be difficult to match
The new songs are an abomination

Slim

Quote from: zoony on August 22, 2016, 10:29:57 am
Well the GB team have improved their medal tally for 5 games on the trot, which is some achievement. Was Rio better than London though? Not a chance.

We performed better in London of course; 29 golds compared to 27 in Rio. I don't think 6 more silvers, 23 compared to 17, makes up for two less golds. I was very pleased that we improved on the Beijing tally (19 golds), as that was the last overseas Olympics and a more meaningful comparison. If the Russian track & field athletes hadn't all been banned the figures would have been different. Then again half of them were probably doping at Beijing and London anyway.

zoony

What I was getting at was the Rio games weren't as good as London's on a whole, not the GB'S performance. Incidentally, team GB became the first country to win more medals than they did as the previous hosts.