Rio Olympics 2016

Started by Nïckslïkk2112, August 05, 2016, 22:48:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

zoony

These games have been let down by the lack of people attending the events.

DavidL

I had no idea the Brazilians hated the Argies as much as they do. They even booed the ref at a boxing contest the other day when he was introduced as Argentinian ;D

DavidL

Quote from: zoony on August 16, 2016, 18:58:17 pm
These games have been let down by the lack of people attending the events.
Yes, shocking no. of empty seats. What a shame that the inhabitants of some ot the most disadvantaged communities on earth have been denied a chance to gain some inspiration from the games by seeing some of the athletes' achievements in person. I imagine some of the venues may never host a capacity crowd.

Bez

more great results for the Brits today....Trott wins gold, a confirmed gold in the sailing and 2 bronzes in the gymnastics. Jason Keny to come and anoother guaranteed gold in sailing with a race to come...
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Nïckslïkk2112

Yes, well done to Lovely Little Laura :)

I see Jonny Foreigner is questioning our cycling success because we don't seem to do as well in years between Olympics, although we haven't done that badly at intervening UCI World Championships. But of course UK Sports funding is based on getting people to succeed at the Olympics and Olympic success guarantees funding so they will up their game at the Olympics.
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

Quote from: Slim on August 14, 2016, 10:41:16 am
Anyone have a feel for a reasonable expectation for the total Team GB medal tally by the end of the Games? Just wondering if equalling the 2008 performance is likely or feasible (47 medals, 19 golds, 13 silver).

At the moment it does look quite likely; one more Gold needed for that.

Fishy

Blimey that cycling was very good last night..
From the Land of Honest Men.

Slim

Yes, they put those £70,000 bikes to good use.

Jonners

Christ! Is that how much they are? Imagine if they had gears, brakes and bottle cages!
The new songs are an abomination

Fishy

why do they have cameras on them tho ?

Jonners

Viewing figures, try and spice up the coverage a bit.

I think one on top of the Boxers heads would be better personally, or built into the balance beam in the gymnastics

Fishy

Is that all it is..  wasn't sure if it was a cycling requirement just in case of collisions, foul play etc...

Slim

Quote from: Jonners on August 17, 2016, 15:18:23 pm
Christ! Is that how much they are? Imagine if they had gears, brakes and bottle cages!

Well, that's what Nicky Campbell reported on 5 Live this morning. But I checked it just now, and another report claims £10,000, which seems a bit more credible.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/rio-olympics-2016/1582891/rio-olympics-2016-team-gb-cyclists-using-bikes-coated-with-top-secret-aerodynamic-paint-designed-to-win-formula-ones-top-races/

Even the paint is special; manufactured and applied so as to be mirror smooth for minimum drag. I was interested to see that although some of the track cyclists have unvented helmets, others had much more conventional helmets, roughly of the sort you see on the road every day. Would have thought the vents make a dramatic difference to aerodynamics, a lot more than a coat of paint.

Jonners

What did we use? I would use that as a barometer of what is best

DavidL

Quote from: Jonners on August 17, 2016, 17:45:09 pm
What did we use? I would use that as a barometer of what is best
'British Steel'  ;D