Author Topic: Rio Olympics 2016  (Read 4998 times)

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
Rio Olympics 2016
« on: August 05, 2016, 21:48:09 PM »
Won't be as good as London 2012

Still looking forward to it, would have been better to see all the Russkies kicked out and most of the Seppoes probably want booting out to, but at least that's all an individual thing, not state sponsored doping...

Here's hoping for British success in the Velodrome and the rowing.
Legend in my own Mind

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
Re: Rio Olympics 2016
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 23:51:40 PM »
A tarnished brand now, sadly.

When's the golf on? :)
The keys to happiness

Richard_2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 00:35:42 AM »
Well this opening ceremony is pants!
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines.

DavidL

• TNMS Member
  • Music by Lee and Lifeson, Lyrics by Peart
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 09:17:08 AM »
A tarnished brand now, sadly.

I agree. For me though it's not only the drugs thing but it seems obscene that it is so important to the host country that it's perfectly acceptable to destroy the lives of any unfortunates that get in the way. Those poor people that have their homes destroyed in the name of the most expensive parade of sport on earth. Not to mention the exploitation of workers and the lives lost during construction.
As in Athens, Rio cannot afford to run the games and wil be paying for it for years to come. I feel that something must change. Maybe all countries that participate should contribute based on individual GDP. London is looking like a shining example of how it should be done. How can it be right for the largesse on show within the Maracana to exist that close to some the most shocking conditions of poverty on the planet.
I'll probably still watch though, but with a cynical eye. The IOC has become too powerful, the IAAF and WADA, a joke. For Rio, I hope it's worth it - history tells us that is unlikely to be the case.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 09:58:00 AM by DavidL »

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 11:47:36 AM »
Well this opening ceremony is pants!
That's because it's foreign :)
Legend in my own Mind

zoony

• TNMS Member
  • Look out, Zoony's about!
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 14:15:56 PM »
I've always looked forward to the Olympics, but not really bothered this time around for some reason. Probably because I don't keep up to date with the athletics now, and that's always been the main part of the games.

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 23:10:41 PM »
I agree. For me though it's not only the drugs thing but it seems obscene that it is so important to the host country that it's perfectly acceptable to destroy the lives of any unfortunates that get in the way. Those poor people that have their homes destroyed in the name of the most expensive parade of sport on earth. Not to mention the exploitation of workers and the lives lost during construction.
As in Athens, Rio cannot afford to run the games and wil be paying for it for years to come. I feel that something must change. Maybe all countries that participate should contribute based on individual GDP. London is looking like a shining example of how it should be done. How can it be right for the largesse on show within the Maracana to exist that close to some the most shocking conditions of poverty on the planet.
I'll probably still watch though, but with a cynical eye. The IOC has become too powerful, the IAAF and WADA, a joke. For Rio, I hope it's worth it - history tells us that is unlikely to be the case.
Well yes, money corrupts. But the Olympics still gives a chance for the lesser known sports to have a bit of time in the limelight and lesser known athletes the chance to dream - that they might beat the drugs cheats...

I've enjoyed what I've seen of both cycling road races and it was good to see Froome sprinting out with Dan Martin for 12th place, good to see that even though they couldn't win medals they were still prepared to fight it out :) I hope Adam Peaty can deliver what he's been promising in the heats.
Enjoyed the women's Rugby Sevens too, some of them even look like women...
Legend in my own Mind

Fishy

• TNMS Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 09:47:29 AM »
Can't be arsed with it.. too many bloody sports..it's ridiculous....surprised they haven't got competitive dominoes or marbles...
From the Land of Honest Men.

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 10:15:58 AM »
I never fail to be astonished by the gymnastics.  Even the moments that aren't "spectacular" are far, far harder to perform than they look.  On the hoops, for example, the strength, agility and balance required just to swing up to a holding handstand position is just mind-boggling.  I doff my cap to them.
The keys to happiness

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 23:20:13 PM »
Well done young Adam Peaty. Almost a medal for Derbyshire :)
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 00:57:44 AM »
Can't be arsed with it.. too many bloody sports..it's ridiculous....surprised they haven't got competitive dominoes or marbles...

I agree that there are too many sports - I was listening to 5 Live earlier and it was obvious that there were about five competitions in various sports happening at the same time. I think they should pare it down to the classic Olympic sports - no rugby sevens, golf, tennis or football, for example. Lose some of the more obscure competitions as well. More focus then on the competitions that really count, where an Olympic medal represents the pinnacle of achievement in that sport, and easier for people to follow.

DavidL

• TNMS Member
  • Music by Lee and Lifeson, Lyrics by Peart
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 07:12:06 AM »
I agree that there are too many sports - I was listening to 5 Live earlier and it was obvious that there were about five competitions in various sports happening at the same time. I think they should pare it down to the classic Olympic sports - no rugby sevens, golf, tennis or football, for example. Lose some of the more obscure competitions as well. More focus then on the competitions that really count, where an Olympic medal represents the pinnacle of achievement in that sport, and easier for people to follow.
Yes, I agree with that. My view is that the wish to include those high profile sports such as football golf and tennis is all about money and very little to do with the traditional Olympic ethos.

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 09:07:00 AM »
Yes, I agree with that. My view is that the wish to include those high profile sports such as football golf and tennis is all about money and very little to do with the traditional Olympic ethos.
Yes, it's all to do with TV ratings in the States and the money that brings the IOC.
I read that NBC wanted the teams to come out in English language order at the opening ceremony instead of Portuguese, because the US and A are out almost last instead of near the front as Estados Unidos - can't have people switching off early, think of the Sponsors!
Legend in my own Mind

Fishy

• TNMS Member
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 09:09:38 AM »

I would  bring it down to just track and field and swimming..everything else..forget it...

Fishy

• TNMS Member
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2016, 09:13:56 AM »
I'll give you gymnastcis as well....