• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.
May 27, 2019, 00:25:17 am

London

Started by zoony, July 20, 2016, 16:16:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

zoony

Wendy has said she would like me to take her and our 11 year old daughter, Alicia to London later in the year for a weekend to "see the sights". Any ideas or suggestions please?

captainkurtz

Walk across the southbank.  It's free and very beautiful.

Hyde Park is beautiful too - and you can have a walk to Buckingham Palace.

Those are my 2 favourite things when I go to London...
Anger is a gift.

Nïckslïkk2112

We took the boy to London a couple of weekends back. We walked along the South Bank - great views of the city - then over Tower Bridge to the Tower of London. Before the South Bank we'd been to the British Museum - Free and Interesting - then walked down to Trafalgar Square and the National Gallery - only went there for a piss - before watching the changing of the Lifeguards on Horseguards Parade.
Then we took a tube out to the National History/Science Museums (Nat Hist was too busy to get in), then walked up to the Albert Hall and back through Hyde Park to Buck House. Then it was Covent Garden/Leicester Square/Piccadilly Circus to berate the crowds.
Legend in my own Mind

zoony

Thanks Hass and Simmers. Any recommendations of places to stay though?

Nïckslïkk2112

I tend to use the Covent Garden Travelodge more often than not. Helps to book well in advance though.
Legend in my own Mind

captainkurtz

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on July 21, 2016, 15:12:57 pm
I tend to use the Covent Garden Travelodge more often than not. Helps to book well in advance though.

Travellodge or Premier Inn.  As Nick says, book as far as you can in advance.  Booked a premier inn last week in Brixton and it was £52 for a double room.  The very same hotel was over £150 sobs for a Wednesday in September when Bjork is playing the Albert Hall....
Anger is a gift.

snodes

Budget Central London hotels (ie less than £200 a night) are generally bloody awful. Travelodge and PremierInn may have little character but, like McDonalds, they do exactly what they do, and they do it consistently well.
"As soon as you stop believing you will win, you've started to lose"

The Letter R

Would also suggest London Eye, trip up the Shard and the Emirates Cable Car over the Thames. Could also consider a River Boat from the Embankment to Greenwich, a great way to see some London sights.
Tate gallery is also free and a slide has now been fitted down the outside of the Orbit in the Olympic Park which sounds fun!!

Matt2112

Yes, the London Eye is good.  Buck Palace is obviously a tick-box must-see but is surprisingly shabby once you get up close to it.  Still, it's amazing the size of houses some people get on State aid.  ::)  ;)
The keys to happiness

zoony

Thanks guys. Stayed at a lovely premier inn at Stratford when me and Ian went to see RUSH in 2013. Would this be too far out of the way to stay again to see the sights suggested, or where would be the best premier inns to stay. Also, I presume that the tube would be the best way to get around, so any suggestions for buying weekend or daily passes to use it?

Nïckslïkk2112

There's plenty of Premier Inns all over London Zooners, for the Tube - and buses - you'd be best off buying a visitor Oyster Card.
Legend in my own Mind

captainkurtz

Book somewhere central.
Anger is a gift.

Bez

Some great advice....I'd echo the Southbank and over Tower bridge route

you can walk for miles in London checking out sights.....the open top bus tours are pretty good as well...hop-on hop-off if you're interested enough to take a more detailed look and anything....always try to negotiate a reduction in the price of the daily ticket...;)
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%