Quick EU Poll

Started by Nick, June 11, 2016, 15:49:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

döm

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on July 10, 2017, 21:26:14 pm
And if the population in '75 had known how the EU would have evolved over the years and what they were letting themselves in for, then we'd have been happily free from Euro Tyranny for the past 42 years. Just sayin' :)

Also, this time around, the remoaners should have been as magnanimous as Wedgie Benn back in 1975



Yes Little Englanders would never have allowed it to happen had they know.


I sincerely hope that people keep speaking about the stupidity of the Brexit vote. It may at least help to temper some of its excesses.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Nïckslïkk2112

I sincerely hope that sensible voices keep speaking out in favour of the benefits of Brexit.
Rather than people coming under the sway of the pro-EU mob, who are in favour of what? Come on, what is so good about being part of an organisation which people say promotes totally free trade when to get said free trade you have to pay to belong to it.
An organisation which has simultaneous democratic deficits and surpluses.

Let's look to the World, rather than a Europe which is becoming an ever smaller part of the Global economy.
Legend in my own Mind


Bisto

The world won't be looking to us though....unless we become an off shore tax haven and throw our borders open to ever more desperate economic migrants willing to work for slave wages. They'll love "us" then
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

döm

This is a brilliant series of tweets. A view from the US on Brexit...
Take a look at Steve Analyst (@EmporersNewC): https://twitter.com/EmporersNewC?s=09












You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

döm

If you couldn't be bothered to trawl through all the tweets, here they are summarised.


It really is a brilliant piece highlighting how the UK shaped the way the EU is today and that many of the reasons given to leave the EU were actually put in place at the insistence of the UK government over the years...




https://politicalscrapbook.net/2017/07/american-tells-bizarre-story-of-how-britain-went-from-leading-the-eu-to-leaving-it-in-one-epic-twitter-plea-to-rethink-brexit/
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: döm on July 11, 2017, 11:56:41 am
If you couldn't be bothered to trawl through all the tweets, here they are summarised.


It really is a brilliant piece highlighting how the UK shaped the way the EU is today and that many of the reasons given to leave the EU were actually put in place at the insistence of the UK government over the years...


It's a load of horsehit! In fact Steve Analyst should change his name to Steve Horseshit.
He's quoting loads of things from manifestos - and we all know how reliable they are - which are all bits of self aggrandizing puff!
It's easy to say we played a part in this, that and the other. Very easy. But what did we really do? Was it just to sit there and agree with everybody else? Who actually put all these things forward?

Britain has always been a round peg in a square European hole.

And my advice to all of you people out there who involve yourselves in the Twittersphere - DON'T!!!!!
If you use the opinions of people like this to bolster your own, then I pity you.

FWIW I have a twitter account. I don't tweet, I don't follow anybody. That -and only that - is the best way for anybody to treat Twitter.
Legend in my own Mind


Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: Bisto on July 10, 2017, 23:03:09 pm
The world won't be looking to us though

Typical small-minded little Britlander.
We're the 5th or 6th - it varies - largest economy in the world.
Scientfically, Technologically, Artistically we punch above our weight in the world. The great undoing of this country is that those running it don't understand this and won't help in nurturing it. I doubt this will change Brexit or no Brexit.
Legend in my own Mind


döm

July 11, 2017, 13:08:51 pm #292 Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 13:15:46 pm by döm
Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on July 11, 2017, 12:25:40 pm
It's a load of horsehit! In fact Steve Analyst should change his name to Steve Horseshit.
He's quoting loads of things from manifestos - and we all know how reliable they are - which are all bits of self aggrandizing puff!
It's easy to say we played a part in this, that and the other. Very easy. But what did we really do? Was it just to sit there and agree with everybody else? Who actually put all these things forward?

Britain has always been a round peg in a square European hole.

And my advice to all of you people out there who involve yourselves in the Twittersphere - DON'T!!!!!
If you use the opinions of people like this to bolster your own, then I pity you.

FWIW I have a twitter account. I don't tweet, I don't follow anybody. That -and only that - is the best way for anybody to treat Twitter.



ah yes manifestos - what you are saying there is don't trust a thing politicians tell you - don't think too many would disagree with that


Steve Analyst really does dispel the myth that the UK has been fighting the EU with the direction it has taken over the last 45 years.  Most of the time the UK has either been a cheer leader or actively encouraging the EU to go in that direction.



As to Twitter I find it brilliant.  I know there is the danger of the echo chamber effect and you do need to be wary of that but it's a great source for news and sport.  I really don't think you're getting the best from Twitter with the way you interact wth it!
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

döm

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on July 11, 2017, 12:28:47 pm
Typical small-minded little Britlander.
We're the 5th or 6th - it varies - largest economy in the world.
Scientfically, Technologically, Artistically we punch above our weight in the world. The great undoing of this country is that those running it don't understand this and won't help in nurturing it. I doubt this will change Brexit or no Brexit.



Absolutely dwarfed by the economy on our doorstep.  The one we are choosing to leave
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: döm on July 11, 2017, 13:16:44 pm

Absolutely dwarfed by the economy on our doorstep.  The one we are choosing to leave

The one which we'll still be doing business with and will still be doing business with us and an economy which is shrinking as a proportion of the global economy.
Legend in my own Mind


Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: döm on July 11, 2017, 13:08:51 pm

Steve Analyst really does dispel the myth that the UK has been fighting the EU with the direction it has taken over the last 45 years.  Most of the time the UK has either been a cheer leader or actively encouraging the EU to go in that direction.

No he doesn't. All he does is parrot things which people in the UK government have said to make it look as if we're having influence within Europe. In all the bits he quotes - the ones I read anyway - nowhere is there anything substantive to put flesh these claims.
What influence did the UK have when David Cameron tried to get a few concessions from the EU?
Legend in my own Mind


döm

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on July 11, 2017, 15:07:28 pm
The one which we'll still be doing business with and will still be doing business with us and an economy which is shrinking as a proportion of the global economy.



unlike the UK economy?


http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/uk-worst-performing-advanced-economy-world-post-brexit-slump-election-pound-sterling-a7766286.html  :-[


still be doing business of course but with unnecessary barriers caused by the exit.  And the UK will have to manage its relationship with the rest of the World Economy without the power of the EU to do preferential trading deals.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

döm

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on July 11, 2017, 15:19:05 pm
No he doesn't. All he does is parrot things which people in the UK government have said to make it look as if we're having influence within Europe. In all the bits he quotes - the ones I read anyway - nowhere is there anything substantive to put flesh these claims.
What influence did the UK have when David Cameron tried to get a few concessions from the EU?



didn't do too badly really...


http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35622105
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: döm on July 11, 2017, 15:21:18 pm

unlike the UK economy?


http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/uk-worst-performing-advanced-economy-world-post-brexit-slump-election-pound-sterling-a7766286.html  :-[

Ignoring the fact that the UK economy had been outperforming most of the rest of the world. Don't forget much of Europe has been in a slump whilst the British economy was growing. Swings and roundabouts.

Quotestill be doing business of course but with unnecessary barriers caused by the exit.  And the UK will have to manage its relationship with the rest of the World Economy without the power of the EU to do preferential trading deals.

On the assumption that the EU actually gets preferential trading deals.  Does it?
Legend in my own Mind


Slim

Quote from: döm on July 09, 2016, 17:45:21 pm
I think we may be at cross purposes here. I'm talking about the freedom of speech that democracy offers. Also the allowance to change opinions and beliefs.

As far as I'm aware there are no hard and fast rules on how long the result of a referendum has to be adhered to.

They are pretty rare occurrences in the UK, that's true but in Ireland and other European countries the results of referendums have been overturned in a matter of months.


Yes, because the EU didn't accept the result of the original referendum and the Irish and other European countries' governments colluded with them.

The result of the referendum has to be adhered to until it is fulfilled, ie until we are definitively out of the EU. There is no point having one in the first place if you have a new one every couple of years because the last one wasn't deemed acceptable.