Six Nations 2016

Started by Bez, February 04, 2016, 23:53:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bez

Quote from: BaldiePete on February 06, 2016, 20:44:44 pm
I think you'll have to improve a lot (although we have to improve by even more, and probably can't ). We did well in the set piece in the first half but the total lack of depth in the front row was telling. We have one very good player in each position (which is an improvement on previous years) but the drop off to the 2nd choices is massive. 

Yep, noticeable difference in the front row....I thought that your 10 was anonymous, mind you, ours wasn't much better...

I hope that was Italy's good match in this tournament and they revert to type for their remaining matches. As for drop goals by number 8's, it worked for Zinzan Brooke in 1995.

Based on that performance you should be afraid of Italy...drop goals notwithstanding  ;)
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

BaldiePete

Quote from: Bez on February 07, 2016, 13:23:32 pm
Yep, noticeable difference in the front row....I thought that your 10 was anonymous, mind you, ours wasn't much better...

He wasn't anonymous, I spotted him kicking the ball away when we had an overlap to the fastest player on the pitch after he intercepted.  All he needed to do was look and pass. >:( >:( >:(

zoony

Didn't catch any of the action due to work commitments.

Bez

Odd game today, with neither team establishing forward dominance. A draw a fair result, with both teams needing to up their game for sterner tests ahead....

BaldiePete

Quote from: Bez on February 07, 2016, 20:45:47 pm
Odd game today, with neither team establishing forward dominance. A draw a fair result, with both teams needing to up their game for sterner tests ahead....

I thought that for much of the game Ireland and Wales both looked better than either Scotland or England did yesterday.

Bez

Quote from: BaldiePete on February 07, 2016, 21:01:34 pm
I thought that for much of the game Ireland and Wales both looked better than either Scotland or England did yesterday.

Plenty of fire and brimstone in defence, but no guile or imagination from either set of backs.....

zoony

Well we're doing just enough so far. The acid test to come against our nemesis then....

Bez

Quote from: zoony on February 28, 2016, 14:50:25 pm
Well we're doing just enough so far. The acid test to come against our nemesis then....

Not much imagination behind the pack at the moment....not sure that the pack is dominant enough. The Farrell at 12 experiment isn't working for me and Ford at 10 hasn't done enough either....

I'm going to the Wales game in the 12th....nervous already....

BaldiePete

I'm just glad to get a win, even if it was only Italy. We managed to play some decent rugby and didn't bottle it when we went ahead. If France could just play as shit as they were against Wales we might even beat them as well.

Jonners

Quote from: Bez on February 28, 2016, 22:26:40 pm
Not much imagination behind the pack at the moment....not sure that the pack is dominant enough. The Farrell at 12 experiment isn't working for me and Ford at 10 hasn't done enough either....

I'm going to the Wales game in the 12th....nervous already....

I imagine Farrell will go to 10 for Wales, and either Tuilagi in, or on the bench with Daly starting or even Burrell
The new songs are an abomination

Bez

Quote from: Jonners on February 29, 2016, 10:41:42 am
I imagine Farrell will go to 10 for Wales, and either Tuilagi in, or on the bench with Daly starting or even Burrell

Tuilagi vs Roberts would be a sight to see (and hear) in midfield....

I was listening to some silly cow on Radio4 this morning saying that England look unbeatable....what games has she been watching FFS.... >:(

Jonners

I think we may be unbeatable in the 6 nations, I think the quality this year is awful.

I think two more weeks together and we will be a better team as well. Just need to get clinical with the finishing, possession and defence were quality, lineout and scrum look solid.

Bez

Quote from: Jonners on February 29, 2016, 12:21:56 pm
I think we may be unbeatable in the 6 nations, I think the quality this year is awful.

Maybe....France away will always be a test....

I think two more weeks together and we will be a better team as well. Just need to get clinical with the finishing, possession and defence were quality, lineout and scrum look solid.

Lineout looked decidedly dodgy when Hartley went off. Not sure the scrum has looked "solid" at any point this season.... :-\

Still too many penalties at the breakdown, many through stupidity, Farrell being an obvious offender at the weekend.

Agreed that the defence looks strong, but they all do...

Jonners

I always feel sorry for a Hooker coming on and having to immediately hit his mark at the lineout after sitting around for 70 minutes.

Hartley needed to come off, he was blowing, and missed two tackles as a result

döm

Quote from: BaldiePete on February 28, 2016, 22:59:20 pm
I'm just glad to get a win, even if it was only Italy. We managed to play some decent rugby and didn't bottle it when we went ahead. If France could just play as shit as they were against Wales we might even beat them as well.

I didn't think France were that bad - admittedly I only saw the second half, but without the Plisson brain freeze, it would have been a very close game.  From the nadir of that World Cup defeat to New Zeland , there are some promising signs for the future.  It's a new coach and a new team though, so if Scotland are to beat France, this season would be an excellent opportunity.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!