Simple Pleasure of the Day - 80

Started by Chris Quartly, November 19, 2015, 19:49:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bisto

Quote from: DavidL on February 15, 2019, 17:21:04 pm
As NickSlik2112 alluded to, Steve Hoffmann forum is where it's at for that sort of thing. I recently bought the Friday Music pressing of Leftoverture by Kansas on the strength of what I read about it there but it was a huge disappointment. Dished like a soupbowl. I exchanged it for a Music On Vinyl version that, although not a gatefold cover, was pretty good in terms of pressing quality. It is a bit of a minefield as the 'best' is very subjective. Having said that, you can sometimes find that people on there have performed analysis to determine dynamic range etc. Personally, I quite like the idea of original releases in as close to 'mint' as I can find. Discogs is great for finding info on different releases.

Yeah I've lurked on the SH forum for a couple of years but I've nothing to contribute. I've used Discogs a few times and generally had good results
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: Bisto on February 15, 2019, 16:04:02 pm

They aren't in that league  ;D

But, you can't give an opinion on how things sound until you post what gear you're using. Steve Hoffman forums say so...

I mainly just lurk over there, bur enjoy the GRRR Black and Death Metal thread.

I have a Rega RP6 record player
A Rega something beginning with E amp
A Technics CD player and a TEAC Cassette deck.
Legend in my own Mind

rufus the dawg

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on February 15, 2019, 23:06:20 pm
But, you can't give an opinion on how things sound until you post what gear you're using. Steve Hoffman forums say so...

I hang around the steve hoffman forums also, trying to find the right pressing of cds, there is a very long one about King Crimson,

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/getting-to-the-bottom-of-king-crimson-on-cd.127721/

Often the original pressings are better than the remasters.

Marantz cd 17 ki sig mk2 cd
Naim 202 PreAmp
Naim 200 Amp
Naim Allae speakers
I want to eventually get a power supply maybe a Teddycap.

and

Marantz cd63 KI sig cd
Yaqin  mc100b with Brimar valves
Ruark prologue one speakers

Bisto

February 16, 2019, 12:18:17 pm #1128 Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 13:40:41 pm by Bisto
This is actually a big deal for me; I've been dreaming of getting a decent system for a very long time :-X  but never had the werewithal or the personal circumstances to turn that dream into a reality; finally I now have both. I've spent hundreds of hours researching on the web but in the end I just walked into my nearest Richer Sounds, told them my budget and asked what deals they had on, this is what I eventually ended up with; I was also given an overall 20% discount and I'm happy with the results. :)

Project 9 turntable
Ortofan Black Quintet MC cartridge
Arcam Rphono phono stage
Roksan K3 Integrated Amp
Roksan K3 CD player
KEF Q350 speakers
Chord interconnects and speaker cables

At some point I will most likely upgrade the interconnects and cables and possibly add a music streamer and headphone amp. I love the look and idea of tube amps but not sure if they're really worth the investment.

Dan Shooter (aka Beardy) very kindly gifted me a spare pair of Mission 3 way, floor standing speakers and, after a fair bit of faffing, fine tuned the tone arm for me...,

for a technophobe such as myself, concepts such as micro electrical current signal boosters, measurements in Neutons, forces of magnetism and counterbalance and terms like Azimuth and antiskate, in the setting up a hifi rig seems to be almost a dark art better suited to the knowledge of a wizard than someone who sometimes struggles following flat pack furniture instructions,... the sight of Beardy, (who had, tragically, only a few days earlier set his beard on fire in an Alchemical accident), consulting, with furrowed brow, the set up manual, as if it were some ancient Arcane manuscripti; incanting the instructions and experimenting with several different numbered counterweights and settings, then retreating to the armchair and pondering the instructions whilst sipping from a bottle of Old Crafty (Hen) from the Greene King Brewery, very much reminded me of Gandalf attempting to find the right spell to open the Elven and Dwarvish crafted Doors of Durin at the Western entrance of the Mountains of Moria and gain access into the hidden underground realm of Kazad-dûm. After a few initially unsuccessful attempts, the eventual solution turned out to be, a likewise, similarly simple and straight forward affair.

Happily the many tentacled Watcher in the water had already been bound and banished by a powerful spell cast by the divorce courts, and therefore could not ruin the event or the music, feasting, and quaffing of strong Ale that followed.
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

captainkurtz

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on February 15, 2019, 23:06:20 pm

Thought you had an RP3?  Have you upgraded?  Notice much difference?
Anger is a gift.

DavidL

"You put your hard left foot in,
your hard left foot out,
in out, in out, shake it all about,
You do the Derek Hatton and you turn around,
That's what Labour's all about"

pdw1

Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: captainkurtz on February 20, 2019, 15:56:45 pm
Thought you had an RP3?  Have you upgraded?  Notice much difference?

You had me worried for a minute there Hass, thought I was bigging up my system, but I do have an RP6, I was going to get an RP3 but the Hifi store I went to was selling off some Union flag RP6 decks at not much more than an RP3 so I snagged one of them.
Legend in my own Mind

pdw1

4 USAF F15 Fighter flew over my office this morning a roof top height on their way to Maddingley American Cemetery before going to Sheffield to honour 10 brave men.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-47337174/flypast-for-ww2-us-bomber-crash-crew
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

zoony

Won the top scoring monthly prize in one of our Super 6 mini leagues at work. As it had rolled over from January, got £40 instead of the usual £20.

Blastzone

Dix now joining me for Stranglers gig in Newcastle tomorrow . If it is anywhere near as good as Glasgow gig last Saturday I'll be a happy man
Mon the Jambos

Bez

Quote from: Blastzone on March 13, 2019, 22:18:38 pm
Dix now joining me for Stranglers gig in Newcastle tomorrow . If it is anywhere near as good as Glasgow gig last Saturday I'll be a happy man

Nice, not seen them for a few years....I really should get out there before they can't.... ;)
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

zoony

The latest Danforth and Pape design dropping through the letterbox.

The Letter R

Quote from: zoony on March 15, 2019, 20:43:52 pm
The latest Danforth and Pape design dropping through the letterbox.

Indeed  8)

Nïckslïkk2112

March 22, 2019, 23:37:32 pm #1139 Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 18:40:59 pm by Nïckslïkk2112

Bumping into Terry and Ron at Riverside in  Leeds tonight. Glad we came by train

Oh, and Mrs S got a drumstick from Piotr Kozieradzki
Legend in my own Mind